Author Topic: Running lights, rear brake light, license plate lights out, blowing fuse  (Read 373 times)

Offline Jim

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Help please, discovered that my running lights were not working and also noticed no rear light, brake light, or license plate light. The 10A fuse was blown and upon replacement it immediately blew.  I unplugged the front brake light switch, retried new fuse, blew.  I recently completed my own valve adjustment and I believe everything was working after that was completed.  I'm going to try unplugging the rear brake light switch next but wanted to know where to go next.  I have not done anything under the seat except remove the ECU a while ago for Steve's flash.  Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Jim.

Offline Baggerjohn

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
First thing I would check is the motor mount area underneath the fairing - what (possibly) got pinched there on reassembly?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:03:12 pm by Baggerjohn, Reason: Grammar »

Offline Jim

• Tricycle
Thanks, I will check around the front area.

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Also consider that a mouse or some other varmint chewed wires.  I helped a COG member troubleshot a rear C-14 taillight that was not working, and it was chewed wires. 
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Also consider that a mouse or some other varmint chewed wires.  I helped a COG member troubleshot a rear C-14 taillight that was not working, and it was chewed wires.

Had that happen twice on the C14, luckily both times were after medium storage periods, and during a cursury inspection prior to powering up the bike... jumped the shark so to speak... rer bundle off the ECU was chomped and had about a dozen bare and chewed wires, and also up under the tank, and on top of the rubber engine cover mat, the harness to the Throttle position sensor got chewed once... real pain to fix, as its buried in a "cave".. conductors were fine, so I coated the wires with 5 applications of "liquid tape" and wrapped them all in electrical tape after.. worked well..and saved a complete pull ot of the throttle bodies.  ..

I'm still thinking there is a pair of wires up front, pinched, and creating a dead short, during the fairing and brace re install after the valve job...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Baggerjohn

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
I have a buddy who lives about 80 miles west of me, in farm and rural country.

His Valkyrie suddenly started missing on two cylinders (connected to the same coil). Rodent shenanigans are also what I'm suspecting.

Offline Jim

• Tricycle
Re: Running lights, rear brake light, license plate lights out, blowing fuse
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 10:51:28 am »
Fixed, turns out one of the LED city lights was bad and the short blew the taillight bulb and the fuse.  After I removed all the body work and check continuity on all the wires I removed the city bulbs and noticed a black mark on one of the bulbs. Replaced the bulb and everything worked fine. I should know better to check the simplest things first but that's why I'm not a professional mechanic. Thanks, jim.

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Running lights, rear brake light, license plate lights out, blowing fuse
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 11:18:14 am »
Thanks for reporting back, and glad you got it fixed.   :beerchug:
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......