Author Topic: Saddleman RS Explorer seat?  (Read 922 times)

Offline David

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Saddleman RS Explorer seat?
« on: April 05, 2017, 03:22:50 pm »
My '08 Concours stock seat sucks!  I have to have my air hawk on it for any ride over 50 miles or my butt gets numb.  My girl friend hates the passenger seating position as she slides forward and has to use her legs to hold her self back and can only last 50 miles.  She can't use the air hawk I bought for the rear because then she slides on the seat even easier and gets tired faster.  I see very little discussion on the forum about this seat and no one mentions anything about the passenger riding position.  Is it flatter so there is less lean forward for the passenger?  Does anyone have a picture directly from the side so I can see the seat pocket?  How about driver position and getting pushed into the tank compared to the stocker? Comfort?  I am 6' - 180 lbs with a 32" inseam.  Thanks for your thoughts.  Baldwin or Russell are out budget wise for now as I am getting Steves Evo reflash next week.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Saddleman RS Explorer seat?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 03:31:21 pm »
David,
Many aftermarket seats are offered with the option to change the passenger section. Some come with the driver only changes. Many do not offer any changes beyond their "normal" product. You can get a Seth Laam for about the cost of a Saddleman but with custom tailoring to fit your needs specifically. 
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
  • COG#: 11153
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 03:35:55 pm »
I have that seat..... I'm 6.2 260 and I needed to have the front reshaped so I wasn't pushed into the tank. My wife loved it as a passenger.
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sold....
2012 Concours 14 Traded In
2015 Concours 14

Offline David

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 02:33:25 pm »
Matt, Thanks for the tip on Laam.  I had not heard of him before. That would be an off season project and I would need a better idea of what I want before I pop for one.  He sure has some nice looking seats.  Kevin, can you ask your wife it she feels like it is sliding her forward like the stock seat does?  Was the driver portion better than the stock seat as far as pushing you into the tank?

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:26 am »
Sorry for the late reply... The Mrs said no. She wasn't sliding forward.
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2015 Concours 14

Offline David

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 04:35:40 am »
I decided to go with a custom seat from Terry's Custom Seats in TN.  Looks like a Russel for $450.  Only $250 if you keep the passenger part stock.  He had a Concours seat core in stock so I can use my stock seat until I get my new one.  That sold me along with a great looking seat and great reviews.

Offline Spiderman

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12420
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 12:39:11 am »
David ,   I had one and did not like it at all . It seemed like I was sliding forward a little and most of all the passenger sits way too high. My girl friend did not like it at all. So I sold it and brought a Sargent World Sport and a Saddlemen Track -LS / 2 up. I like them both.  :)

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 12:15:08 pm »
David ,   I had one and did not like it at all . It seemed like I was sliding forward a little and most of all the passenger sits way too high. My girl friend did not like it at all. So I sold it and brought a Sargent World Sport and a Saddlemen Track -LS / 2 up. I like them both.  :)

I had the rider portion modified because I was sliding forward too.. My wife being 4'11" loves the height in back of me. lol
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2015 Concours 14

Offline David

• Big Wheels
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 10:57:35 pm »
Got the seat.  Love it so far.  Rode 350 miles yesterday and could have gone more.  No more boys into the tank and the pocket puts you back about 2" from the tank and you never slide into it.  I do not ever notice the wings until I put my feet down.  Even though Terry says the seat is 1" lower, it feels taller because of the wings when reaching for the ground. I am leaning farther forward because my butt is back farther and can feel it in my wrists.  I had to readjust the shifter length a little because of the seat height or sitting back a little farther.  The passenger seat is higher but only and inch or so and now and it is flat so no more sliding forward for the GF.  She is 4"11" so higher is better for her.