Author Topic: Saying hello, asking a few questions  (Read 2977 times)

Offline 46Alpha

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Saying hello, asking a few questions
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:21:18 am »
New guy, my first post and I've got a few questions if y'all don't mind. I'm currently on a 06 VFR and I love it, but it's having some mechanical problems and I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade. The Connie 14 has been in my sights for about a year and I've been doing my homework. I see a few guys in my neck of the woods so I thought I'd ask:

-Can you recommend a good Kawi dealer in S. NH? I've been a Honda guy for years, never really looked at Kawis before now.

-I'm looking to get either a leftover 2011 or a new 2012. I know this is the worst time to buy, but how much under MSRP should I expect to pay?

-Aside from color and blacked out wheels, and major changes to the 2012's that would make them a must have over a 2011?

-Any advise for a new Connie owner to look out for? I'm an experienced rider with some track time and short-med distance touring under my belt, so I'm not really worried about my end, more things to be aware of on the bike.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Offline Nico

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Saying hello, asking a few questions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:27:30 pm »
Welcome! You made an excellent choice.

I bought a 2012 a couple of weeks ago at a dealership in Nebraska. They gave me their best out-the-door price up front, which was 15.5K USD.

One thing I'd caution you about is to be careful with the area where your crotch meets the tank. I washed and waxed my bike for the first time this weekend, and already notice some scuffing/scratching in that area--after only about 300 miles of riding, always with jeans or slacks on. I'm going to have it buffed and some of that 3M film professionally applied by a local auto trim shop. On the same note, swing that leg extra high when mounting or dismounting. That right saddlebag will attract the sole of your boot!

Offline wipfel

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:36:16 pm »
I'm no expert, but I believe the 2010-2012 models are the same.  Not sure if this will help, but a dealership in Rockingham, NC offered me 12.9K for a new 2012.  Can't remember if that was ABS or no, though.

--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:58:24 pm »
2010-2012 are the same except for color and in 2011 only ABS model is available.
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Tim Anderson

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9470
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 03:18:07 pm »
46Alpha - Agree you made a good choice!  I rode VFRs for 17 years - a '94 and then a '98, and looked at lots of options when I decided I wanted something a bit bigger and more comfortable, and bought the C14 last Spring.  I miss the V4 a bit, but pretty much love the C14!  Only caution in going from VFR to C14 is to beware of the extra weight when moving it around the garage with engine off.  Seems obvious, but I know that I could easily horse the VFR around without ever even thinking about dropping it, but the C14 requires a bit of attention!  I've 'almost' tipped it over a couple times.  Once you are riding, no trouble at all, the weight disappears after 5 mph.     
2010 C14: Guhl reflash, Traxxion AK-20 Forks, Penske shock, Area P slip on, Debadged, Phil’s Rack, FIAMM Freeway Blasters, Laam Seat, Zumo 660, BarEnders, Heattroller, Hyperlites, PR3s, Fender Extender, StarCom Audio, Front running lights, Pinned bags, Vision +100 headlights.

Offline CElias

• Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 03:29:32 pm »
Hi there,

I know you did not ask, yet, I would like to suggest that you did not get rid of your VFR.  I would also encourage you to get the C14. 

I have an 07 VFR and 08 C14, and I love them both, in part because they are completely different bikes.  I think of my VFR as my girlfriend and the Concours my wife--my wife says that the garage is the only place where I can keep them both in the same place :-).  I do not need to tell you about the VFR, but I can tell you about the Concours.  It excels in highways and has an incredible overdrive.  This is not to say that you cannot turn fast on a Concours, but compared to the VFR ... The Concours also excels at sport touring, so wind/rain protection as well as saddle bags with room to add a trunk--which I do not because I don't like it--or an additional bag secured on the back area.  If I am planning on more than a couple of nights or is cold then it is the Concours, if it is warm and I am thinking about backroads, then it is the VFR.  These two bikes are not substitutes, they are complementary as they serve completely different purposes.

Finally, if I were looking I would consider buying a used Concours.  You will find that the depreciation of these bikes is steep, I don't know why as they are really good and beautiful bikes.  Hondas, Yamahas and BMWs comps to the C14 keep value better.  In part for this reason I would suggest that you look into used bikes.  Someone I know has a 08 with 10K miles, his bike is in mint condition and has all the add-ons that you can think of, and wants about $8k for his bike.  You should be able to find deals such as this one for all years in this site and others.

Cheers and I hope this is helpful,

CElias
CElias

C-14 08 "Godzila"
VFR 07 "Josefa"

Offline ChipDoc

• Sport Tourer
  • Work to ride - Ride to work!
  • COG#: 9934
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:19:29 pm »
Welcome to the forum, 46Alpha!  I ride one of the older Connies, so I'll leave the descriptive stuff to others.  But HERE is a list of 14 bikes in the North East area.  There are new and used bikes here between $10K-$16K and they're all between 2010-2012.  It's good to have a basis for comparison.

I've got to agree with CElias that there's a lot of value in a used Concours.  I've owned four and I've never bought one new.

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 07:36:18 pm »
The nice thing about the C-14 is if you buy it farther away, you have to ride it all that much further to get it home  ;D
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline 46Alpha

• Bicycle
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 06:13:39 pm »
Wow, thanks so much for all the help. I feel kinda silly. I spent a few hours going through older posts and I found the answers to most of my questions. Guess I should have looked first :-[

ChipDoc, thanks for the link. I'm going to give my local Kawi stealerships a chance to chime in on prices, but that left over 2011 in CT is just what I've been looking for. Might be time for a weekend road trip.

CElias, I have no plans on letting my beloved Viffer go anywhere. It's got a lot of miles on it and I've ridden it hard. I wouldn’t get much in resale. Besides, I just love that bike too much. My plan is to take all the touring farkels (top case, gps, heated vest) and move them over to the Connie. The Viffer will be my dirty girl for quick blasts. Besides, I'm still pretty active over at VFRD. If I showed up for a VFRD event on the new Connie, I think the "old man" comments would start ;D

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:55:44 pm »
Heeeyyyyyyyy :beerchug:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline BamaCOGer

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9317
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 03:15:50 am »
I just bought a new black 2011 C14 in Alabama for $12,599 + tax/title.  Go for it.  You won't regret it.
2011 Kawasaki Concours Black - Current
1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer Black - Current   

Previous Bikes: 2004 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100, 2000 Kawasaki Concours, 1980 Kawasaki Z750, 1972 Suzuki 750 (aka Water Buffalo), 1971 Suzuki 250, 1966 Bridgestone 175

Offline 46Alpha

• Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 06:24:16 pm »
I'm looking actively now. As usual everything costs more in the North East :( I've had two dealerships quote me full MSRP for leftover 2011's. I've got a demo ride set up tomorrow from another local dealer. I'm very excited to try the bike out. Hopefully the weather will hold.

Offline Cwo2mustang

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9927
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 06:51:25 pm »
I'm no expert, but I believe the 2010-2012 models are the same.  Not sure if this will help, but a dealership in Rockingham, NC offered me 12.9K for a new 2012.  Can't remember if that was ABS or no, though.
I bought my 2011 connie from Rockingham in November (Black Friday), I got it for 12.5K

Offline 46Alpha

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 09:12:17 pm »
I'm sure part of the problem is the time of year. We've just stated having warm days up here. If I had gone looking in November, I'm sure I could have gotten a better deal.

I bought my 2011 connie from Rockingham in November (Black Friday), I got it for 12.5K

Offline ChipDoc

• Sport Tourer
  • Work to ride - Ride to work!
  • COG#: 9934
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 09:25:38 pm »
I'm looking actively now. As usual everything costs more in the North East :( I've had two dealerships quote me full MSRP for leftover 2011's. I've got a demo ride set up tomorrow from another local dealer. I'm very excited to try the bike out. Hopefully the weather will hold.

Let me chime in with an opinion here.  This is my own experience and other viewpoints are equally valid, but here it is:

You can develop a good working relationship with anyone; you don't have to buy the bike there to get great service from someone you trust there.  We're talking a significant amount of money here.  By getting out of the Northeast to make the purchase, you're going to save about three thousand bucks - more than enough to cover what I'm going to propose.

You are about to buy a Sport Touring motorcycle.  Perhaps now is the time to get into the "Touring" aspect of this bike which is superbly designed for this exact purpose!  The nice weather is almost here - pick some place you've always wanted to go riding and find a place that's selling one in THAT area.

Reach out to that place and chat with the salesman on the phone.  Explain what you're doing and let him chat you up about the bike and what a great deal he has for you.  Because you're doing this long distance, it's perfectly reasonable for you to expect to settle on an out-the-door price.

Take Friday and Monday (or whatever) off of work, pack your gear and clothes for a few days into a waterproof duffel bag and fly down there on Thursday night.  Get two good-quality 24" bungee cords.  You may not need them, but they're cheap insurance in case everything doesn't fit into Connie's very capable luggage.  Priceline will get you a good rate on a motel room.  Find out when the dealership opens and arrive by taxi about a half hour later with all your stuff.

Now here's the real key do doing this well: once you've found your bike and settled on a price, take care of your money locally and walk into that place with the cash you'd agreed on in an envelope.   If they can't do it for that, you call a taxi to take you back to the airport.  Before that taxi arrives, they'll have figured out a way to jigger their numbers so you get the bike.  Pay your money, sign the papers, get your gear on, stuff everything else into those saddlebags, and ride home!

"But I can't ride home - it's 600 miles!" I hear you crying out.  Well don't worry about that - it's lunchtime on Friday and you don't have to be back at work until Tuesday!  Point yourself home and go for a while.  Revel in the feel of a bike that is designed with this very thing in mind - you're going to simply love taking Connie out on the road!  Around dinnertime find yourself some food and a comfortable place to stay and just get off the road for a while.  In the morning, do it again!

Assuming that you bought a new one, it'll be about time for the first maintenance visit when you get home.  Do observe the break-in period rules.  Now is when you begin to develop that relationship with your local mechanic.  He won't care where you got the bike.

Look HERE to find a list of 2011-2012 Concours all over the US.  There are about 350 of them; some are used but most are new.  The mileages on the site are based out of Concord, NH.  Spring will be here in a week.  Where would YOU like to go to buy a spectacular new motorcycle?

It's the sort of adventure you'll remember all your life.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:28:29 pm by ChipDoc »

Offline 46Alpha

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 10:00:04 pm »
Oh I have no problem with buying from far away. I've done it before as a matter of fact. Southwest flys right out of Manchester. Fly down with gear/GPS/cash in hand, sign the paperwork and ride home. . 600 miles is a drop in the bucket if you have two or three days to kill and I've done much longer trips on the VFR. There is a reason I want a bigger touring bike. I enjoy putting miles on my bikes. :motonoises:

My current problem is time. Work is very busy right now and I have a new house and a new baby. Taking a weekend trip would be hard to swing. Doable, but hard. I know I'll pay a bit more locally, but I might just have to. But one offer I got was 14900 OTD for a left over 2011! That's a bit much IMHO. I might be off base, but there are quite a few dealers with left over 2011's. My hope is to score one closer to the 13-13.5k mark. I might be overly optimistic however ;D

Let me chime in with an opinion here.  This is my own experience and other viewpoints are equally valid, but here it is:

You can develop a good working relationship with anyone; you don't have to buy the bike there to get great service from someone you trust there.  We're talking a significant amount of money here.  By getting out of the Northeast to make the purchase, you're going to save about three thousand bucks - more than enough to cover what I'm going to propose.

You are about to buy a Sport Touring motorcycle.  Perhaps now is the time to get into the "Touring" aspect of this bike which is superbly designed for this exact purpose!  The nice weather is almost here - pick some place you've always wanted to go riding and find a place that's selling one in THAT area.

Reach out to that place and chat with the salesman on the phone.  Explain what you're doing and let him chat you up about the bike and what a great deal he has for you.  Because you're doing this long distance, it's perfectly reasonable for you to expect to settle on an out-the-door price.

Take Friday and Monday (or whatever) off of work, pack your gear and clothes for a few days into a waterproof duffel bag and fly down there on Thursday night.  Get two good-quality 24" bungee cords.  You may not need them, but they're cheap insurance in case everything doesn't fit into Connie's very capable luggage.  Priceline will get you a good rate on a motel room.  Find out when the dealership opens and arrive by taxi about a half hour later with all your stuff.

Now here's the real key do doing this well: once you've found your bike and settled on a price, take care of your money locally and walk into that place with the cash you'd agreed on in an envelope.   If they can't do it for that, you call a taxi to take you back to the airport.  Before that taxi arrives, they'll have figured out a way to jigger their numbers so you get the bike.  Pay your money, sign the papers, get your gear on, stuff everything else into those saddlebags, and ride home!

"But I can't ride home - it's 600 miles!" I hear you crying out.  Well don't worry about that - it's lunchtime on Friday and you don't have to be back at work until Tuesday!  Point yourself home and go for a while.  Revel in the feel of a bike that is designed with this very thing in mind - you're going to simply love taking Connie out on the road!  Around dinnertime find yourself some food and a comfortable place to stay and just get off the road for a while.  In the morning, do it again!

Assuming that you bought a new one, it'll be about time for the first maintenance visit when you get home.  Do observe the break-in period rules.  Now is when you begin to develop that relationship with your local mechanic.  He won't care where you got the bike.

Look HERE to find a list of 2011-2012 Concours all over the US.  There are about 350 of them; some are used but most are new.  The mileages on the site are based out of Concord, NH.  Spring will be here in a week.  Where would YOU like to go to buy a spectacular new motorcycle?

It's the sort of adventure you'll remember all your life.