Author Topic: ECU FLASH  (Read 800 times)

Offline Scotty

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12842
  • Membership Level: Active
ECU FLASH
« on: August 02, 2018, 07:35:50 pm »
Hi folks, so I've been reading alot on flashing the ecu, i have talked with Steve about his ecu flash, i have read about ivans performance, and also
Schnitz racing. Steve's and ivans are the same price schnitz is considerably less money, but who does the best job???,

any input would be helpful from anyone who has went through this..
Thanks..
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:51:36 pm by Scotty »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
Re: ECU FLASH
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 08:06:33 pm »
welcome Scotty,

currently conversations or more so, feedback from members as to their reviews and such, of products from IM's are now accessed in this area;
http://forum.cog-online.org/product-reviews-96/

feel free to read about them, and also the indvidual IM's sections where you may question the IM about their product.

http://forum.cog-online.org/collapse/?c=9;sa=collapse;eb3aff7db9=4d64991905f7d787df9b6f1a95f52c66#c9

things have changed a bit, sorry for the inconvenience.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Egodriver71

• Street Cruiser
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 10:35:14 am »
Steve is preferred by many

He's a fellow Cogger and has been dedicated to the Concours since before the C14 was a gleam in Mama Kaw's eye.
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline Cali Cruiser

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12770
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 10:51:20 am »
Hi folks, so I've been reading alot on flashing the ecu, i have talked with Steve about his ecu flash, i have read about ivans performance, and also
Schnitz racing. Steve's and ivans are the same price schnitz is considerably less money, but who does the best job???,

any input would be helpful from anyone who has went through this..
Thanks..
[/quote

If a person owns a Honda they’ll recommend a Honda. Your best bet is to try the two leading products for yourself. Find a couple members here or on COG FB in your area and see if they’ll let you take a spin. Short of that simply ask the people who have tried both one way or another and see what their opinion is. Both are a huge improvement over stock for sure.

Offline Ronnie

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 02:11:52 pm »
Never heard of Schnitz.  Between the other two I would go with Steve's flash.  Hands down the best money I've spent on my Connie.
Ronnie

"I swear, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of  stupidity."

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12217
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 02:19:56 pm »
Never heard of Schnitz.  Between the other two I would go with Steve's flash.  Hands down the best money I've spent on my Connie.
+1
Jennings Track Day - Feb. 8-10

'14 C14 Black

Offline sininja

• Moped
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 04:58:01 pm »
I really like my Shoodaben flash, wouldn't keep the bike without it.

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 08:04:35 pm »
I like Ivan's Flash.  I have had it for several thousand miles.  Ivan has been developing performance mods for bikes for many years. He seems to be very knowledgeable with regards to engine management.  Ivan made the whole process painless. I pulled up to his garage and he removed the ECU, connected it to his programmer and reflashed the ECU, than went out to the bike and reinstalled.  The whole process took less than 10 minutes.  Yes, Ivan is only abt 40 minutes from my home.

This post is not to knock Steve's flash or Steve, as I have not driven with Steve's flash and have no personal experience with his flash.

Fred
Wa2gzw

Offline khager01

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 10:00:57 pm »
I also have Ivan's flash and love it!  The biggest thing I noticed was the jump in low end torque you can really feel it come on at around 2,500 to 3,000  RPM's, but more power everywhere of course,  and the driveability  on/off throttle transitions are so smooth it feels like a different bike.  I do usually ride a gear or two higher now, since I have more low end torque.   I have had the flash for almost a year now and he recently reflashed it for me because I changed my exhaust, but there is no charge for that I just had to pay shipping.  Great service and same day turnaround.  I never had Steve's flash so no comment there.  As far as Schnitz I looked at their website and he doesn't seem to address decel fuel cut or VVT reprogramming, and he wants an extra $125 to match the fuel tables to your exhaust. Oh and he raises the rev limiter to 11K RPMs, sounds dangerous to me!    Ivan raises his to 10.5K rpm's but that is optional
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 12:33:26 pm »
Steve 's is great ... I had the other flash before  :dance:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Cali Cruiser

• Training Wheels
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 03:32:45 pm »
I suspect you and many others here (most) have yet to ride a decent number of miles with both of the leading two flashes. I myself have. Most are not aware of the differences in the two any more than they are aware of the similarities. Reading the comments of those who haven’t tried both becomes tiring because it’s glaringly obvious the comments are biased, basically sucking up and or bandwagon mentality based. The op asked which is better. That’s not hard to arrive at when you have tested both for yourself. Both are a big improvement over stock where power is concerned but only one truly lives up to the hype in all of the more sought after categories. I have the Ivans Performance flash and that’s the one I have chosen to stick with for good reason. I don’t care who has done what and for what group over the years- I simply want the best bang for my buck. All of the heartfelt testimonial nonsense does little to convey any helpful information. I could spend the day listing the benefits of having Ivans flash but I’d think it better for everyone to find out for themselves so they won’t have to post uneducated statements. I don’t mean to be rude in any respect I just couldn’t resist shedding some less than biased light on this subject. Not looking to argue so let’s just leave it at that. I do have a spare Ivans Performance ECU that works in the new and older model 14’s that people here in the Southwest can try for the day when we are out riding if they have the desire to try it in comparison to their stock ecu or any other flash they may have so they can arrive at a realistic personal opinion.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 03:44:24 pm »
I do have a spare Ivans Performance ECU that works in the new and older model 14’s that people here in the Southwest can try for the day when we are out riding if they have the desire to try it in comparison to their stock ecu or any other flash they may have so they can arrive at a realistic personal opinion.

Since Ivan himself has posted that his unlocked ECU's are to only be tested at his shop, I have to assume you are now actively working  Ivan's representative for sales?  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 03:53:08 pm »
I do have a spare Ivans Performance ECU that works in the new and older model 14’s that people here in the Southwest can try for the day when we are out riding if they have the desire to try it in comparison to their stock ecu or any other flash they may have so they can arrive at a realistic personal opinion.

Since Ivan himself has posted that his unlocked ECU's are to only be tested at his shop, I have to assume you are now actively working  Ivan's representative for sales?  Steve
Does it really matter?

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 04:09:39 pm »
Does it really matter?

Yes, I think it does.

All the other responses are from folks who have their own opinions, which is fine either way. As vendors or sales reps, This isn't our place to offer an opinion.  As a minimum let's be honest that he's advertising, not just offering an opinion.

Steve

Offline Jeff Kerkow

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 04:20:57 pm »
Moderators watching

Before you post make sure it helpful and relevant to the original posters question.

Thank you in advance.
It's not a competition, It's a demonstration. "Rowan"
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 04:21:35 pm »
He’s offered his opinion for months. And now he still is offering his opinion. And now he’s giving people the ability to try it for themselves.  He’s not a paid rep as you’re implying.

Offline Cali Cruiser

• Training Wheels
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 04:40:20 pm »
I hate to disappoint anyone but I have to say that I, in no way whatsoever, am employed by or paid by Ivan for my opinion. He loaned me this ecu because he trusts me. The only reason I have it is to allow others the opportunity to try something new to them and in doing so I feel I am helping the Concours Community be able to experience this product without throwing down their hard earned pay based solely on people’s opinions. It allows for them to see what all the fuss is about and decide if it’s something they find to their liking. Twisting around the idea by trying to make it a negative is certainly not helping the community and I thought that we were all about helping. It’s not an advertisement- it’s an experience.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:12:25 pm by Cali Cruiser, Reason: Typical typos »

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 05:20:42 pm »
Wow come on guys the truth of the matter is amongst  Good reputable tuners as far as Concours specific at this point there's pretty much two choices Steve or Ivan. These are called custom tunes for a reason so quite honestly which one is better is completely subject to the person twisting the throttle. One must also consider the fact that these Tunes are subject to evolution as both Steve and Ivan are passionate about what they do and artists in their own right they will always be attempting to improve their product. This being said even if you prefer one over the other to day tomorrow that may all change.
Believe me, I am a Duramax Diesel Performance enthusiast where there are not just too but literally hundreds a very passionate and reputable tuners providing their services.
 Tuning is not a one size fits all situation.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 05:43:01 pm »

I suspect you and many others here (most) have yet to ride a decent number of miles with both of the leading two flashes. I myself have. Most are not aware of the differences in the two any more than they are aware of the similarities. Reading the comments of those who haven’t tried both becomes tiring because it’s glaringly obvious the comments are biased, basically sucking up and or bandwagon mentality based. The op asked which is better.

Interesting. I've been flashing Concours eCU's for 3 years now, and my flashes set the standard other tuners have learned from. I have continued to upgrade, update and improve my flashes. My older flashes have been clearly eclipsed by most current flashes, so any comparison of my earlier work doesn't represent the products I offer currently.

I also recall the comments you posted about which flash was better... months BEFORE you actually had that flash, or indeed had even ridden on EITHER flash. Those posts still exist. It's going to be tough to call "bias" with a history like that.

As far as comparing flashes... here's some reading. Enjoy! http://forum.cog-online.org/shoodaben-engineering/'this-flash-is-better'-comparing-flashes/

Steve
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:47:26 pm by Steve in Sunny Fla »

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 06:41:08 pm »
This thread has moved from a member question to a review post. The OP asked a question and was directed to the proper area for answers where reviews belong then degraded to a he said she said. It is now locked for further comment pending Moderator review.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.