Author Topic: Seat adjustment  (Read 815 times)

Offline LES

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Seat adjustment
« on: May 31, 2018, 03:43:59 pm »
  When riding, as I move around on the seat, I find that I naturally want to sit further back on the seat and find myself on the bump between the front and back seat.  I'm 6'-4", so I guess I'm trying to ease the hip bend or something.  Anyone ever have a custom seat made and moved the break between the front and back seats further back?  Anyone else have this same problem?  I never ride two up, so shorting the pillion is not a problem for me.  I'm considering trying to have a custom seat made to try it. 

Anyone have a cheap OEM seat they want to sell?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:44:32 pm by LES »

Offline Phil

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: Seat adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:35:09 pm »
The Corbin will sit you farther back. I hated the Corbin though, because it sat me too far back, and it was built for a fat a**, and had a resulting hump up front that gave me horrific pain in a region that is necessary for procreation. If you have a bit more padding, the Corbin may be for you. Other than that, talk to Baldwin or Laam.

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:45:58 pm »
I'm 6'0" and I think the front part of the seat is too short also.   I would like to have just an inch or two more forward and rearward.   It pushes me toward the tank.   Most of the aftermarket seat I have seen keep the step between the front and rear the same.

Offline Old77zrider

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:34:34 pm »
My FZ1 seat was terrible too.  The pillion step was too far forward and the seat was pitched forward forcing your junk into the tank.
Im a DIYer so I pulled 1/2 the cover off of the seat and reshaped the step and flattened the pitch with an electric carving knife. Then I cut out a section to accept an anatomically correct gel bicycle seat.  Pulled the cover back over it and stapled it back to the seat pan.  It wasn't perfect but it was 200% better. At least I could ride for an hour and a half instead of 40 minutes.
On longer trips I added an Airhawk II air cushion. Not pretty but effective.

Offline LES

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 09:41:06 pm »

I'm thinking of buying a spare OEM seat and having a local upholstery shop just rework it. Move the pillion hump back some and level the seat so it's not throwing me into the tank as much.  I was hoping someone else had already done something like that so I could get a picture to start from.

Offline Old77zrider

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 11:49:14 pm »
FWIW- Check out diymotorcycleseats.com.  It's got a lot of good info about what makes a seat comfortable or not.
It's important that you know what you need/want so that you can convey your objective/expectations to the person modifying your seat.

Offline LES

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 09:51:48 am »

Thanks so much for the link!  Here's the same exact problem I have.  I'll give this a try.  Here's what the guy says about his VSTROM seat.

2003 Suzuki VSTROM DL1000
I'm 6'4" and this is where I wanted to sit on the seat   —   basically, back further and higher than the scooped-out stock seat would allow.

The bump in the back of the seat, while it looked kind of cool, had to go.

Offline JaL3

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 08:24:56 pm »
Spencer modded my stock seat, it's way better now. http://www.greatdaytoride.com/
Regards, Jay with 2016 ZG1400, Ivan's flash, seat modded by Spencer, Puig spoiler, Canyon Cages, Bar Risers, Rigid Industries aux LEDs, Switchback LEDs front and rear, Two Brothers Black Series Slip-On.

A skeptic that believes anything when provided with evidence.

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 08:57:46 pm »
Spencer modded my stock seat, it's way better now. http://www.greatdaytoride.com/

I looked and Spencer's website and read through it.   I like that guy and I have never met him. 

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 11:21:16 pm »
The answer is yes, I've done it, a seat can be modded any way you want it.

I had Loren at Baldwin Seats build me a custom seat.
He did a great job. I highly recommend his seats. Love the seat!

In my case; I'm 5' 8" and my wife rides with me.
   I had Loren move my pillion hump forward and make it more vertical..
      This gave me more back support, moved me forward, and gave my wife more room.

Being taller, your needs will be different than mine..

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 12:03:48 am »
Les, not sure what year your Connie is?
Just saw this.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23463.msg292799#msg292799
If it fit's yours, it would be ideal for cutting the padding for a test.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline JaL3

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 01:01:31 am »

I looked and Spencer's website and read through it.   I like that guy and I have never met him.

He's an absolute joy to deal with and does a quality job too.
Regards, Jay with 2016 ZG1400, Ivan's flash, seat modded by Spencer, Puig spoiler, Canyon Cages, Bar Risers, Rigid Industries aux LEDs, Switchback LEDs front and rear, Two Brothers Black Series Slip-On.

A skeptic that believes anything when provided with evidence.

Offline ANTHONY

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 05:16:00 pm »
I did my own custom seat and it is phenomenal! This is my third one over the past couple years and its fairly easy, just have to work slowly and carefully. What I did was remove the stock cover and shave out the foam up front and angle to a flatter riding position, this eliminated the jewels being smashed on the tank. Next I took about and inch off the hump which allowed me to scoot back a bit further(bonus for taller riders).  I then purchased a piece of super high density memory foam from a shop in Michigan and NO it wasn't Joann Fabric or a similar craft store, you need REAL high density foams. I glued the new foam to the stock foam with special foam glue(it bonds like nobody business) and shaved seat accordingly with an electric carving knife. I was able to get a slightly wider,  flatter and slightly more set back riding position not to mention much more comfortable on my arse. There are some good videos on Youtube of others using same techniques.
Tony Johnston(TJRIPPER)

Offline Always Dirty C14

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 12787
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 08:33:05 pm »
I made my own custom seat also. I tried several, the last one was a Baldwin Grand Touring, but none were quite right, although the Baldwin was the closest. I liked the Baldwin's extended 'wings' that gave support under my thighs, but there was still too much forward lean and the wide part of the seat was too short front to back. The forward lean and the pocket not being far enough back were problems for me on every seat that I tried. I talked to Loren about that before he made my seat but the Baldwin still wasn't perfect for me. BTW - I'm 6'2", 34" inseam, 200#. I also have very little natural padding back there.....

I decided to use the Baldwin as the starting point and made the mods myself since no one else seemed to get what I was looking for, and it turned out to be exactly right for me. I followed the info in the dyimotorcycleseat.com site including sourcing the correct foam and shaping techniques.

The thing that limits how far back you can push the step in the seat is the step in the pan (which seems farther forward and higher than needed to clear stuff underneath). I pushed the step in the foam back and down as far as the pan would allow and then added foam to the nose to level it out. For me, level was much more important than keeping a low seat height. I narrowed and tapered the sides of the nose so that I can still flat foot on both sides if I slide forward at stops. I had a local upholsterer who works mostly with custom car interiors make the cover. It turned out functionally great and looks fine too - although beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is not sleek by any means but the cover looks professional. I have great support under my thighs, plenty of room to adjust position front to back, and I'm not constantly having to hold myself back to stay in the pocket.     

I took photos of the build process but can't seem to find them now. I'll keep looking and post them if I find them. Here are some photos of the finished seat.

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:43:02 am by Always Dirty C14, Reason: incomplete address for web site referenced in post »

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 12:00:17 pm »
I made my own custom seat also. I tried several, the last one was a Baldwin Grand Touring, but none were quite right, although the Baldwin was the closest. I liked the Baldwin's extended 'wings' that gave support under my thighs, but there was still too much forward lean and the wide part of the seat was too short front to back. The forward lean and the pocket not being far enough back were problems for me on every seat that I tried. I talked to Loren about that before he made my seat but the Baldwin still wasn't perfect for me. BTW - I'm 6'2", 34" inseam, 200#. I also have very little natural padding back there.....

I decided to use the Baldwin as the starting point and made the mods myself since no one else seemed to get what I was looking for, and it turned out to be exactly right for me. I followed the info in the dyimotorcycleseat.com site including sourcing the correct foam and shaping techniques.

The thing that limits how far back you can push the step in the seat is the step in the pan (which seems farther forward and higher than needed to clear stuff underneath). I pushed the step in the foam back and down as far as the pan would allow and then added foam to the nose to level it out. For me, level was much more important than keeping a low seat height. I narrowed and tapered the sides of the nose so that I can still flat foot on both sides if I slide forward at stops. I had a local upholsterer who works mostly with custom car interiors make the cover. It turned out functionally great and looks fine too - although beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is not sleek by any means but the cover looks professional. I have great support under my thighs, plenty of room to adjust position front to back, and I'm not constantly having to hold myself back to stay in the pocket.     

I took photos of the build process but can't seem to find them now. I'll keep looking and post them if I find them. Here are some photos of the finished seat.

Jeff

Thanks for the pics, yours looks good.  I'm in the process of doing my seat right now.   I have a Russell Day Long that slopes downward too much.   I also would like the driver's section to be longer but I don't think I am going to be able to change that myself.