Author Topic: Seat Suggestions  (Read 1029 times)

Offline None

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Seat Suggestions
« on: August 08, 2018, 03:12:11 pm »
I'm having issues with stock seat on my 08 on longer rides. It tends to bite where it shouldn't. I was wandering if there are seat suggestions or am just as well off having seat reupholstered?

Offline Ram

• Bicycle
  • 08 Concours 14
  • AREA: Southeast Area
Re: Seat Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:58:27 pm »
There are many options out there. Corbin comes to mind since I have that. Many also like Russel Day Long since its custom made to your seating arranged. I have also tried a beaded seat on the stock with good success on 2-3 hour rides.
08 Concours 14 - Shakti
07 Boulevard C90 - Sold, 06 Katana 600 - Sold, 06 V Star 650 - Sold, 96 Royal Enfield - Gone, 95 Yezdi Roadking - Gone

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 08:25:00 pm »
I have a Baldwin on mine. Love it better than the seat on my Goldwing. You'll also get suggestions for Laam seats. Hard to go wrong with either I think. (I bought mine used from a member who just did NOT like it, but it was practically new.) You'll see both kinds on the forum for sale if you can be patient.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9924
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 09:01:06 pm »
had a baldwin on two different bikes, they're super... :beerchug:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Undertaker

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 12:20:48 pm »
A piece of plywood would be better than the stock seat.

Such a great machine and they put such a worthless seat on a sport-touring bike.
"I ride up front, all others ride in the back!" Undertaker

Offline Staylo

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12548
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 12:57:02 pm »
I have the Corbin two piece. For me, it’s like sitting on a brick. It doesn’t bite anywhere, and I like the shape, but to me it is seriously hard. My butt goes numb after a couple of hours sitting on it. I just sent it off to Baldwin and they’re going to rework the foam and reuse the cover.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 02:13:22 pm »
Had a Corbin on my C-10 and really liked the shape and how it held me up (old one would slowly collapse) but had to put an Airhawk on it to make it tolerable. I sold the seat, kept the Airhawk to use on my C-14, but have never used it  because of the Baldwin.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Conversy

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 7789
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 02:16:02 pm »
Baldwin, Baldwin, Baldwin!!!  Our Baldwin made an incredible difference in comfort for my wife and me.  The rest stops are much farther apart.

Contact Loren Mock at Baldwin, and after a conversation, he will build you a saddle that you will love.

Offline cstrom

• Big Wheels
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 07:19:14 pm »
had a 2 piece corbin on my '09 when i bought it used.
the corbin was brutally hard.
Pretty - yes. Comfortable - NO

I ended up using a stock seat i bought on ebay for $100 and like it better.   
i guess the lesson here is... if you don't like the stock seat bc of comfort, you will hate the corbin.

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10361
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 07:48:56 pm »
I bought my C14 used with about 1400 miles on it.  The stock seat was horrible and had me regretting the purchase.  I've been running a Sargent now for the last few years and it has become barely tolerable.  Long story short, Loren at Baldwin has my stock seat for rebuilding as I write this.  Can't wait to get it back!   :motonoises:

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 09:31:06 pm »
Had the Corbin  7 years no problem unless it's hours long ride , If i'm going on a long ride I wear protective pants and the extra padding solves the problem. , I LOVE the Smuggler never use the rear seat section.

Go to a Cog function and maybe you can get some real seat time .
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 10:38:17 pm »
I've done back to back 650 mile days on my Baldwin GT without a problem. Artificial Ostrich material on the cover for over 40,000 miles and it still looks new. The heated upgrade is amazing and well worth it too if you do any cold weather riding....which I do without heated gear. No need for heated gear when you are sitting on heat.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline gpz900r

• Big Wheels
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 10:52:02 pm »
Russell Day Long. Should be called the "All Day Long". I really dig mine and it is on its 2nd Concours 14.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 11:40:26 pm »
I also have the Baldwin on mine.
Tried a Corbin. Way to hard.

I asked Loren to build me a seat that was a cross between his sport and his touring.
  {Basically it's a touring, without the wings..}

Love it!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11339
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 12:10:17 am »
The stock seat on this bike is uncomfortable after long days in the saddle. I have always preferred corbin seats. Many people complain they are too firm and they are indeed firm, however it keeps the pressure spread all accross my rump which translates to a comfortable long day in the saddle for me. Good luck choosing as there are many good options out there.
CDA #0542

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12654
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 11:42:49 am »
The stock seat on this bike is uncomfortable after long days in the saddle. I have always preferred corbin seats. Many people complain they are too firm and they are indeed firm, however it keeps the pressure spread all accross my rump which translates to a comfortable long day in the saddle for me. Good luck choosing as there are many good options out there.

+1

I really like my Corbin two piece seat.

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 02:11:31 pm »
I just purchased a Kawasaki Low Gel. Ive heard good and bad about it so Ill let yall know what I think .  It has to be better than the stocker.

2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline TNConnieRider

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12722
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 02:06:53 pm »
Have a saddleman gel that was from PO and it’s hard as rock and uncomfortable. Also, gel hold heat if sitting in sun for a while and makes toast out of your a**.  Following this thread to see various thoughts. I’ll be looking soon too
Honda MiniTrail 50, Yamaha GT 80, Suzuki TC 100, Yamaha DT 125, Kawasaki KZ 400 Ltd   Kawasaki KX 125, Suzuki RM250, Kawasaki ZX600,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#1) Suzuki Boulevard C50,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#2)

Offline Bradley

• Big Wheels
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 12:38:50 am »
I have had my stock seat on my 15 worked over 2 times---I am still not happy with it. I purchased a ZX14 seat from EBAY. Supposed to arrive tomorrow. I am anxious to try it. The seat on these things is a real deal breaker. I will post my thoughts after some miles on the new seat. The seat i ordered was a 2009 in mint condition.

Offline Charby

• Scooter
  • COG#: 11182
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 12:49:17 am »
I'm having issues with stock seat on my 08 on longer rides. It tends to bite where it shouldn't. I was wandering if there are seat suggestions or am just as well off having seat reupholstered?

See if you can hook up with a local ride and try out some of their seats. Best way without spending money on a seat that may not work for you.

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 09:59:27 am »
Finding the right seat for your butt is tough. I've gone from stock to a Laam to a Kawasaki touring seat. The touring seat works for me. I just got back from a trip to Colorado that took us from Dallas to the Rockies and back. I'm pretty much sold on it. I have heard good things about the Russell Day Long. 
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Bigman

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 10:43:07 am »
Has anyone on here had trouble with Seth Lamm? I sent a seat to him in May, and it's almost October and have not gotten my seat back. I did receive it initially, and had to send it out for a readjustment. When I have called him and told him my name he would say Ok...you have to give me more accurate information then that. He seemed really cocky and rude.
He told me on August 28th that the week of the 3rd of September he would call me to get it readjusted and sent back out that week. He said that I would be at the top of the list. Well 2 weeks went by and I didn't hear anything from him.
So I called him again...not rude to him, I told him my name and what bike it was for, and he says, again you have to be more accurate with your information. I have to admit I was pretty fed up with what came across as a very smart comment at this point.
    I then told him that since your such a stickler on accurate information, why haven't you gotten back in touch with me about getting the seat adjusted when you said you would? I then told him, if I was the next seat in line, why are you telling me I need to be more specific about what I am inquiring about....shouldn't that name be familiar to you that's at the top of the list??? He actually hung up on me! I have called and left a message since....and was very nice, and that was a week ago and no response. I have read nothing but good reviews on Seth, and I don't consider myself to be hard to get along with, but I must confess that this is putting a terrible taste in my mouth right now. Any suggestions of what to do?

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 01:03:01 pm »
I tried the low gel for a short while and found it to hard for any distance riding. Now I'm using the touring seat which I'm very happy with. No complaints at all with it.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."