Offline Scotty

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12842
  • Membership Level: Active
seats
« on: August 14, 2018, 07:42:51 pm »
Hello all
i know there is alot of different options for seats out there, I'm still riding on the stock seat on my bike, and it very uncomfortable.
so i have been looking around and on eBay the have a seat for the gtr, which is the European version of the concours, but it says its a comfort seat with gel and heat.
so my question is, will it fit my 2014, and is it any good.
does anyone have one, or know it there any better than the touring seat.
thanks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:12:38 pm by Scotty »

Offline Road Runner

• Moped
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
Re: seats
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 12:23:33 am »
I'm not familiar with this seat, but I hear (from others) that gel is too hot in summer and cold in winter...but that's hear-say. I don't know this myself ...
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 12:40:50 am »
Out butts are not all shaped the same.
My deceased C10 had a Corbin, my wife and I liked it, a lot!   Many people HATE Corbin seats.
When I bought my 2012, it came with a Sargent seat. Many people really like the Sargent seat, for me, it was torture.
I got a Corbin modular, and I love it!
If you have the opportunity, meet some other COGgers that have different seats, and see how they feel. There are several options, and I guarantee they will not all feel equally comfortable. Find your butt's soulmate  ;)

Online MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 12:53:53 am »
I know this won't help you, but anyone near Denver looking for a seat change should check out Bitchin Stitchin. The shop I bought the bike from recommended them enthusiastically. They get a 4.9 on Facebook and 4.8 on Google. You take your bike in for a fitting and usually get out three hours later with a custom seat. Supposed to be pretty reasonably priced. I've not used them but plan to when the farkle funds allow.
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 12:26:08 pm »
after a sargent and a laam, i settled for the kawasaki touring seat(not gel) and never looked back... :)
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 01:20:09 pm »
after a sargent and a laam, i settled for the kawasaki touring seat(not gel) and never looked back... :)
[/quote
 To you the touring seat is better then the Laam?
 I have a Laam and the only improvement over the stock seat is it doesn’t slide me to the seat! If he doesn’t want to try to make it better I think the touring seat will be next.

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 02:14:41 pm »
 I have a Laam and the only improvement over the stock seat is it doesn’t slide me to the seat! If he doesn’t want to try to make it better I think the touring seat will be next.
I have a Laam seat, as well, and am not happy with it.  It's better than the stock seat, but it still pushes me forward and my butt goes numb on long rides.

I've been interested in the Kawasaki Touring seat, but my local dealer doesn't have it in.  They'll order it if I pay, but I don't want to pay until I try it.

Offline Scotty

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 12842
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 05:54:49 pm »
Hi
yes i have yet to find a dealer that stocks the touring seat, many people have said that the touring seat is hands down the way to go, as some of the others have said, not everyone is built the same. And its a shame that more dealers don't carry the touring seat so a person can at least try it before dropping $450.00 to $500.00.
the seats on EBay for the GTR might be worth a look, my only experience with gel seating is a pad that a tryed on my stock seat, and it did help. As for heat, my BMW Lt had heated seats and that was defiantly a bonus.
thanks everyone.

Offline rmills944

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 08:27:22 pm »
I have a Laam seat, as well, and am not happy with it.  It's better than the stock seat, but it still pushes me forward and my butt goes numb on long rides.

I've been interested in the Kawasaki Touring seat, but my local dealer doesn't have it in.  They'll order it if I pay, but I don't want to pay until I try it.

I have a friend that's having his Laam seat reworked right now due to this issue. I used it for around 30 miles and couldn't stand it. For me the Baldwin GT has been a clear winner for comfort. I had a corbin before this on my 08 and hated it. I had it reworked custom and that helped a TON but still wasn't prefect. I got this bike with a stock seat and had Baldwin do his magic and love it. It's nice and level like the corbin but with some padding.
I love the combo
If it ain't fast and won't corner... Crome it.

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 09:04:09 pm »
I have a friend that's having his Laam seat reworked right now due to this issue. I used it for around 30 miles and couldn't stand it. For me the Baldwin GT has been a clear winner for comfort. I had a corbin before this on my 08 and hated it. I had it reworked custom and that helped a TON but still wasn't prefect. I got this bike with a stock seat and had Baldwin do his magic and love it. It's nice and level like the corbin but with some padding.
I love the combo
I'll have to look into the Baldwin.  It seems they're not accepting orders, at this time, however.

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 10:30:34 pm »
I love the combo
I'll have to look into the Baldwin.  It seems they're not accepting orders, at this time, however.
I looked at Baldwin’s website and saw the same thing.  No new orders being taken, I need to see if I can book a ride in for an adjustment!

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 11:50:04 pm »
I love the combo
I looked at Baldwin’s website and saw the same thing.  No new orders being taken, I need to see if I can book a ride in for an adjustment!
Call or email Loren (Baldwin) Ran across him at the Nat in Kerrville. Told us he was coming back. I think there is a thread around here somewhere. Great seat, Great Guy.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 12:06:53 am »
Beam me up Scotty... this seems to be a bottomless thread  :)
I think you might be getting the picture right about now. You really need to try one out for yourself to see how it fits you.

Jorge

Offline TJ

• Training Wheels
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 12:21:43 am »
I've tried other seats, but so far the Kawasaki Touring seat is working out the best. 

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 02:04:23 pm »
I picked up a used Laam from a fellow COG member and it is the most comfortable seat I've had on any bike yet.   :)
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 10:08:31 pm »
I can tell you the gel is definitely lower and the material feels great. . Great for around town short rides but it is too firm for any distance riding.
 The Touring seat is for sure a step up from the stock but not by much. Both look very nice .
 I sat on a bike today at the RWTW that had a Russell Day Long. Instantly I knew that this is the seat for long rides. I dont care for its looks and the wings would be an issue for track days or riding the Dragon but for interstate mile this is the way to go.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline d04011

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 08:37:41 am »
I also bought a very lightly used Laam from a fellow COGer and am very happy with it.  Although he had a shorter inseam than me, he had the seat built to OEM height. Took it on some long rides and I love it!

FYI - The COGer bought the Kawasaki touring seat and preferred that.  It's all a matter of personal preference...
2016 ZX-14R SE
2015 C-14 Concours
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
2012 H-D Fat Bob
2011 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster

Offline IBAJIM

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 10:33:09 pm »
Check out a RDL ( Russell Day Long ) Seat at  https://day-long.com/

IBA LD Riders swear by them.

Offline Smitty

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 03:08:09 pm »
+1 on the Russel Day Long.  I bought it second hand from a Cogger.  It is comfortable for 500+ miles.  My only issue with it, is that I still slide forward into the tank, which could be fixed, but not really a necessity as I only do about 1 long trip per year.
'08 Kawasaki Concours ABS; Decel Flashed by SiSF ("Gazelleda")
'09 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive ("Super Scoot") [sold]

Offline currenv

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11913
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 07:13:20 pm »
Hi Scotty,

I see you are in the North Central area.  I'm in Ann Arbor and have a Saddleman sitting on the shelf if you want to come by and try it.  PM me if interested.

Vinnie