Author Topic: Pin rear cases ?  (Read 5187 times)

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11953
  • Membership Level: Active
Pin rear cases ?
« on: May 20, 2015, 02:24:46 pm »
I searched and didn't find any real info on pinning the stock rear cases on the C14's.
I've heard/read about some of the cases falling off.  Is it a bad design or is/was it a person just not attaching them correctly?

Is it really necessary to pin them?

How many of you have had a case fall off?

Do you buy pins or make your own?  If buy them, where?  If make them, How?

If you have pinned your cases I would really like to see close-up images of the pins etc.

Thanks for any info - If it's needed fine, but I need to know how if it's needed.  ;D

Offline BlueZX10R

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11715
Re: Pin rear cases ?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:41:06 pm »
I just bought a set of these,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concours-14-GTR-1400-All-Years-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-/281697549933?hash=item41967b7e6d&vxp=mtr

No drilling required.  They do lighten your wallet more though.
-James
2013 Concours 14, 2007 ZX10R, 1981 CB750, 1977 TS250B

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:46:28 pm »
Had an incident where I went down and the bag saved my leg and din't pop off or even get too damaged. (sold for ABS bike lol)((friggin deer))

My buddy ran through too narrow of a gap and blew the mirrors and bag lids off his C14, neither bag popped off; just the lids broke. (all fixed)

Now, I have Admore leds on the rear of my bags with quick-disconnects in the front. The canyon cages look super stupid with the bags off so I keep the bags on and pinned. Maybe someday it will slow someone down from trying to take the bags off without noticing the wiring. I located the quick-connect plug right near the pin.

That's what I've got for you. Fire extinguisher pins worked for me. Took them out of two old fire extinguishers. I'll post up a pic if I get to it before anyone else has.
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Online 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 02:51:04 pm »
I searched and didn't find any real info on pinning the stock rear cases on the C14's.
I've heard/read about some of the cases falling off.  Is it a bad design or is/was it a person just not attaching them correctly?

[/b]

Thanks for any info - If it's needed fine, but I need to know how if it's needed.  ;D

When searching, don't use the forum search.  Go to Google.com and enter in a search phrase like this:

site:[http://forum.cog-online.org] pinning bags

You can modify the search terms after the brackets any way you like.  Let me know what you find.

Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:59:55 pm »
Here's the ones that I used. I did remove the lanyard though.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#94975a123/=x9irqm
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline HGP Connierider

• Bicycle
  • 2012 Connierider
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 05:42:04 pm »
I lost a bag. Was very strong winds and also hit a bad bump in the road. I was doing about 60mph. Scratched it up real bad. I had been driving over 50 miles so I believe case was on correctly. Kaw replaced painted part under warranty but not the whole thing. I bought the ebay brackets for 20.00 so it doesnt happen again. I dont believe they lock down as secure as the C10s did.
Own a 2012 Concours currently. Owned a 2005 Concours from 2005 to 2013.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 06:03:20 pm »

If you have pinned your cases I would really like to see close-up images of the pins etc.

here is what you are looking for... it is all explained, you don't need huge pins, the 3/16" ones work fine.... been using mine since I wrote that original article, without issue...

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,27049.0.html

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 08:18:20 pm »
Had an incident where I went down and the bag saved my leg and din't pop off or even get too damaged. (sold for ABS bike lol)((friggin deer))

My buddy ran through too narrow of a gap and blew the mirrors and bag lids off his C14, neither bag popped off; just the lids broke. (all fixed)

Now, I have Admore leds on the rear of my bags with quick-disconnects in the front. The canyon cages look super stupid with the bags off so I keep the bags on and pinned. Maybe someday it will slow someone down from trying to take the bags off without noticing the wiring. I located the quick-connect plug right near the pin.

That's what I've got for you. Fire extinguisher pins worked for me. Took them out of two old fire extinguishers. I'll post up a pic if I get to it before anyone else has.
:o You can't just make statement without telling the story.  ;)

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 08:39:19 pm »

here is what you are looking for... it is all explained, you don't need huge pins, the 3/16" ones work fine.... been using mine since I wrote that original article, without issue...

Thanks for the link.  :great:

Now I know what your talking about, and will look into it.

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 08:45:58 pm »

:o You can't just make statement without telling the story.  ;)

I heard the story last weekend around a campfire with adult beverages to help embellish the details!   :nananana:
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 08:47:38 pm »
2010,    >102,000 miles, never pinned the bags nor had an issue. 

BUT......   I make sure my FOB battery is fresh at all times. I replace it long before its down.  KiPass's mad pow-ah resides in the FOB
KiPass!

Offline RWNielsen

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11860
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 11:04:10 pm »

BUT......   I make sure my FOB battery is fresh at all times. I replace it long before its down.  KiPass's mad pow-ah resides in the FOB

All Hail The Fob  :allhail: :allhail: :allhail:
CDA 543

Offline JS_racer

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 11:59:40 pm »
I have the brackets,  they work very well. 

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 12:25:10 am »
The bags can be secured without pinning them with $2 worth of felt pad available at any hardware store.
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 01:28:08 am »
The bags can be secured without pinning them with $2 worth of felt pad available at any hardware store.

Fred, Fred, Fred... you tease!!  :lol_hitting:  Details please. ???   I'm already pinned,  but jeez,  I gotta know.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:51:33 am by Flat-spot »
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 03:35:20 am »

:popcorn:

So my friend thinks it was the alcohol. Yeah, probably. He was riding down the main road in Knoxville, one he's been riding/driving for his whole life when he says he snapped out of a haze and came upon a bunch of cars at a red light. He smashed his way right between them and pulled over into a parking lot, parked and walked out to the road grabbing up his parts. Nobody in the cars cared beyond knowing he was ok, and he was. Never went down. Insurance totaled it and he bought it back. Just picked her up from Steve's in Tampa and she's better than new.

Response written from my tent near a campfire and I've had some adult beverages. Nobody has to feel left out :-!

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 12:29:41 pm »

Fred, Fred, Fred... you tease!!  :lol_hitting:  Details please. ???   I'm already pinned,  but jeez,  I gotta know.

Agreed  :iagree: :iagree:  Especially since I'm NOT pinned yet.  :-\

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 12:46:06 pm »

Agreed  :iagree: :iagree:  Especially since I'm NOT pinned yet.  :-\

+1.......Mine are pinned, but I'd like to know a better way!
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 12:50:34 pm »

All Hail The Fob  :allhail: :allhail: :allhail:

^^^^that, yes sireeeee!
KiPass!

Offline Joe

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10990
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 12:54:28 pm »
I pinned mine.  Just a little black rattle can work on the pin & ring.

Pics as requested

2012 C14 Black
2001 C10.  SOLD
CDA #444.

Offline Big-Al

• Scooter
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 09:43:57 pm »

So Fred...

Can you share with us how to do this? Inquiring minds want to know...
2012 Kawasaki Concours (Arabian Red) (1400cc)
2008 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
2004 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
1998 BMW K1200RS (1200cc)
1991 BMW K1 (1000cc)
1986 BMW K100 LT (1000cc)
1980 BMW R100 RT (1000cc)
1975 BMW R90/6 (900cc)
1972 BSA Lightning (750cc)
1970 Norton Commando (750cc)
1969 Triumph Bonneville (650cc)
1968 Harley Davidson Sprint (250cc)
1967 Honda Super Hawk (305cc)
1967 Honda Cub (65cc)

Offline Big-Al

• Scooter
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 09:50:41 pm »

Great solution MOB... I wonder about the long term effects of horizontal/vertical flexing of the plastic areas surrounding the pin caused by vibration/airflow/etc... possibly causing cracks/breakage? But many people have used this solution for years/many miles with no ill effects, yes?
2012 Kawasaki Concours (Arabian Red) (1400cc)
2008 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
2004 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
1998 BMW K1200RS (1200cc)
1991 BMW K1 (1000cc)
1986 BMW K100 LT (1000cc)
1980 BMW R100 RT (1000cc)
1975 BMW R90/6 (900cc)
1972 BSA Lightning (750cc)
1970 Norton Commando (750cc)
1969 Triumph Bonneville (650cc)
1968 Harley Davidson Sprint (250cc)
1967 Honda Super Hawk (305cc)
1967 Honda Cub (65cc)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 03:39:18 am »

Great solution MOB... I wonder about the long term effects of horizontal/vertical flexing of the plastic areas surrounding the pin caused by vibration/airflow/etc... possibly causing cracks/breakage? But many people have used this solution for years/many miles with no ill effects, yes?

40k miles, never an issue..
I did the first pin job, and ducumented it, a 3/16" pin removes all the issue, and never worry... just follow the photo locations for the drilill, and the parts, and forget about it afterwards...
simple, cheap, and it works... COGfrugalicious..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...