Author Topic: ABS question  (Read 818 times)

Offline flyboy3107

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11978
  • Membership Level: Active
ABS question
« on: May 23, 2015, 01:10:28 pm »
I have a 2009 ABS and have a question about it. When braking from highway speeds, to enter an off ramp, when I apply the brakes I can hear my ABS operating. Almost sounds like a heat bug in the middle of July. When I release the brake lever and pedal I can still hear those damn heat bugs! Still hear the ABS. The bike rolls freely with no binding or anything. Was wondering if this is normal operating. Noise seems to go away after driving a little bit. Sometimes I wear a full face helmet, so I don't notice it as much, but when I wear my half helmet I can really hear it. Maybe I'll just wear the full face all the time. That way I can't hear it!

Offline Bandit

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: ABS question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 01:13:47 pm »
I hear that on my 2008 with ABS, only after I had  EBC pads installed . I read somewhere that it is a common noise with the EBC pads.

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 01:16:01 pm »
Have you checked your rotors with a dial indicator to see if they're out of flat (warped)?
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11111
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 01:47:32 pm »
I don't think you're hearing the ABS.  When it's working, you'll feel it pulsating back through the lever/pedal.
Like Bandit said, EBC pads are famous for being noisy.  Some others might be as well.
Mine go quiet after release, though.  Don't know what that could be.  Might want to do a flush/bleed on the system.  Pistons might need a good cleaning so they will retract easily.
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7402
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 02:17:11 pm »
My 13 does it too, Ride on!