Author Topic: Secondaries... consider this  (Read 8468 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Secondaries... consider this
« on: April 24, 2015, 12:37:10 pm »
   I have read various threads on fly removal,  and would like to revisit it here

One thing constantly bantered about is the issue of air speed, comparisons with the zx14, what Kawasaki had in mind, etc etc.

Nobody has, to my reading, even raised the issue of cam timing, and more to the point, variable valve timing. Maybe because this is even voodoo to engineers not skilled with the effects of cam timing.

I could make various foolish comparisons like "flow from a garden hose and flow from a fire engine hose" but that's not realistic tuning. Nothing varies that much.

Instead, lets look at reality... the effects of cam overlap at lower engine rpms, in this case appx 5000 rpm and down.

The c-14 has shorter duration cams than the zx14, which mandates less overlap given consistent lobe centerlines between the two engines. VVT at low rpm is capable of removing, by my measurement, 20* of cam overlap at low rpm. This has a HUGE effect on intake dynamics. Passive egr / reversion is lessened or non existent. Higher intake air speed encountering an early closing intake valve helps build pressure in the intake track. Trapping that intake charge with computer controlled secondaries could potentially help create a stronger pressure wave upon the next intake stroke.

The zx14 has no vvt, and longer intake and exhaust cam timing. Much greater overlap, which any tuner knows is detrimental to low rpm power due to passive egr / reversion issues. With larger throttle bodies, it would be easy to see intake velocity could not overcome reversion effects, and volumetric efficiency would drop at lower engine rpms. In this case I think secondaries are the only reasonable response to gaining the most power potential at lower rpms.

Of course, the c-14 TB's are smaller than the zx's. Given this, and the velocity this alone would help create, the need for secondaries in the c-14 is lessened as compared to the zx14.

Couple that with the effects of shorter cam timing / vvt / decreased or non existent overlap, I could see a point where the c-14 could actually gain power by a very carefully tuned secondary fly, opening as much as possible to create ultimate volumetric efficiency but no more than that.

IMO, since there obviously power to be made by removing flies or reflashing the ecm,  I think the obvious correct tuning procedure would be to have the flies controlled by the ECM, but with optimized opening to create the best cylinder filling at lower rpms. With this in mind, I feel this negates the argument that reflashes are only so someone can have "something to sell". Unless those proposing fly removal can support it's superiority over a proper secondary tune from the ECM, they are only guessing.

Think about it.

steve

(editted to reflect the more civil nature of COG based discussions) - Steve

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:50:33 am by Steve in Sunny Fla »
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
Re: Secondaries... consider this
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 01:43:17 pm »
First off, let me say this. I really don't care whether anyone gets reflash, removes their butterflies and adds a PC, or keeps their bike stock. It makes no difference to me, and I don't get any of the money Don Guhl makes, and I have no financial investment in it.  When I originally contacted him, he didn't even want to do it because he figured it would be a money loosing proposition.  After repeatedly hounding him, he finally relented and I sent him my ECM to do testing with and others on this forum took bikes to him to put on his dyno and helped with development.  My only "investment" in this project was time, and the fact that I would like to see Don Guhl rewarded for putting forth the time and effort to make this happen.  He pioneered the C14 reflash and without his efforts, I don't think anyone else would have ever bothered with it.  My original goal was to be able to open the butterflies sooner so the bike could breath at low RPM, but once he got into the ECM, we realized there were a lot of other tunable variables in there that could be tweaked.  Don put several bikes on dynos with wideband 02 sensors up the exhaust and spent many hours on the dyno developing good maps for the fuel and butterflies.

By the way, Don also tunes the ZX-14s for Brocks performance, so he knows what he is doing.

There are multiple arguments for getting a reflash versus pulling the butterflies. Here are just a few.

1. No risk of damaging throttle bodies when attempting to remove screws that hold the secondaries in.
2. Zero impact on traction control
3. Total control is still retained over butterflies, and the map has been optimized for performance
4. Fuel mixture is also adjusted, removing the need for a Power Commander
5. Ease of installation (unplug ECU, mail, reinstall)
6. Costs (Look at the price of a Power Commander versus a reflash and time required to install a PC and remove butterflies)
7. No risk of aftermarket electronics (like the Power Commander) failing and leaving you stranded.  I've personally had two of them break on me, leaving the bike in a non-running state, and seen multiple threads on them failing on folks. The contacts where the wires connect to the circuit seem to be what break, but I've also seen the connectors fail and wires break.

There are now other options out there available and I believe one company now makes a programmer you can use at home to reflash your own ECM. This would be a useful tool for someone willing to spend time on a dyno that wanted to make and flash their own maps. Don has also been working on a cable and software to do this, but so far it hasn't been made available yet. There have also been some rather shady operations that popped up after they tried to copy Don's work, and offered their own reflash programs. One of them was reflashing the European map into the US bikes and didn't even have a dyno to build proper maps with, and were just "guessing". They also fried a couple folks ECM's and didn't offer to pay for them. I think they have since closed up shop, but there are some new ones that have popped up. I'd be leary of who you trust having reflash your ECM, because some of them have never even seen a Concours, much less put one on a dyno and made a proper map for it.

Ultimately any decision to modify your bike is up to you. My advice would be to do your homework beforehand and then decide what is best for you. Some folks may like having a Power Commander and the ability to load their own maps. Others may want to be able to reflash their own ECM at home. And some folks may prefer to rely on a proven reflash and not hassle with all the work involved in other methods. And others may feel the bike has plenty of power as it is, and want to leave it alone.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 02:06:29 pm by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 06:46:12 pm »
This is awesome information, thanks Steve and Fred!  Given that the reflash allows better breathing and more power at lower RPM’s, does that improvement also mean increased fuel efficiency?
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 07:05:55 pm »
This is awesome information, thanks Steve and Fred!  Given that the reflash allows better breathing and more power at lower RPM’s, does that improvement also mean increased fuel efficiency?

Yes it helps a small amount, but I wouldn't do it just for this reason alone. The gains are minimal, maybe 2mpg.
Fred H.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 07:50:54 pm »
Thanks. Don Guhl's shop is only a short ride for me. Maybe he can do the reflash while I wait. 
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 12:13:19 am »
   I have read various threads on fly removal, and I have to say I'm surprised at the myopic take on this from the various engineer types.

One thing constantly bantered about is the issue of air speed, comparisons with the zx14, what Kawasaki had in mind, etc etc.

Nobody has, to my reading, even raised the issue of cam timing, and more to the point, variable valve timing. Maybe because this is even voodoo to engineers not skilled with the effects of cam timing.

Steve, there is no need to be insulting to engineers. It's easy to insult people that have accomplished something you haven't. You're right, not all of us are experts in everything just like everybody else. And some might bloviate unnecessarily like everybody else. There are thousands of manhrs. of work from engineers that go into making any modern machine work so well and so reliably and they are working with processes, analysis techniques, and concepts you never heard of to design and manufacture these bikes. So quit insulting us until you design and build you're own bike from the ground up. It's much easier to learn how something works after somebody else created it. Let me know when you've put in the hard work and had the discipline to earn any engineering degree.

Dr. Pete

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 12:31:47 am »
   I have read various threads on fly removal, and I have to say I'm surprised at the myopic take on this from the various engineer types.

Steve, there is no need to be insulting to engineers. It's easy to insult people that have accomplished something you haven't. You're right, not all of us are experts in everything just like everybody else. And some might bloviate unnecessarily like everybody else. There are thousands of manhrs. of work from engineers that go into making any modern machine work so well and so reliably and they are working with processes, analysis techniques, and concepts you never heard of to design and manufacture these bikes. So quit insulting us until you design and build you're own bike from the ground up. It's much easier to learn how something works after somebody else created it. Let me know when you've put in the hard work and had the discipline to earn any engineering degree.

Dr. Pete
Steve HAS put in much hard work & while those degrees look nice hanging on a wall it's the guys with dirt under their nails that usually make those "engineered" things work better  :o
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 12:42:56 am »

Dr. Pete

I understand, and offer my apology with an explanation. This post was a word for word cut and paste I posted on another forum first. The engineer type there is who that was addressed to, and it was building on some other foolishness being bantered about as scientific gospel.

Dr Pete, I don't have an engineering degree, I've not accomplished much in my life as I was born a poor black child.  but I have a pretty good BS meter from dealing with folks in all walks of life, and sometimes I, well, just call it how I see it in my uneducated, non politically correct hick manner.  No offense to you or  uneducated, non politically correct hicks intended  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfAvQp-Uk5I

Steve
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 12:46:18 am by Steve in Sunny Fla »

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 12:44:36 am »
I didn't think anything stated was insulting at all and I certainly didn't take it that way. Engineers can learn a LOT from mechanics and vice versa. 

Sometimes I think engineers can have inflated egos (and I can say this because I am one), and tend to try to use what small amount of knowledge we have as a way to put ourselves above others. I've worked with other engineers on a daily basis for over 30 years, and I can tell you, I've seen some of the most heated debates between engineers on technical subjects that in the end turned out to be trivial, but the debate was less about the actual technical content being discussed and was more about each one trying to prove the other wrong.

When I got my degree, I thought I was the smartest man on the planet. Every year older I get, I feel dumber than the year before. Funny how that works.
Fred H.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 12:50:09 am »
Oh, and I did sleep behind the dumpster at Holiday Inn for awhile, does that make me smarter? :-[  Steve

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 09:40:34 am »
Oh, and I did sleep behind the dumpster at Holiday Inn for awhile, does that make me smarter? :-[  Steve

No but it might make you more stinky.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Online Camper Dave

• Crotch Rocket
    • The WOG
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 10:17:00 am »
Ah yes... Engineers...

Years ago, I worked at Texas Instruments. It was always very amusing when a new batch of Process Engineers came around. They would always insist there was a better, more efficient way to operate our monster sized rolling mills. The math always backed up what they claimed. But Manny, the little 60 yr old Portuguese guy (who still couldn't (or wouldn't) speak English after working there for 35 years) would say "It's not going to work".   Manny, his shift supervisor/translator and the Engineers would work together for weeks, ruining roll after roll of metal. When the Engineers went back to their home office, the plant manager would come over and tell Manny to go back to doing what works.

Manny retired when he turned 62, bought what could only be described as a mansion and most of a mountain in Portugal. The Engineers came back to train a brand new batch of machine operators (we were pretty much convinced that they felt Manny was not doing what they told him to do). They produced roll after roll of scrap. The company brought Manny back for 3 months to re-train the old crew he worked with for years, it was suppose to be 6 months but Manny got things back to normal in weeks.

Truth be told... A few years before working at TI, I was going to college.... for Engineering  ??? 
<--- is there any mechanism in place to deal with a non- productive, antagonistic, former non- member such as this?

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 12:12:03 pm »
Dr Pete laid a good smackdown on me, but he didn't respond to the actual reason for the post. I hope he offers his thoughts on my premise, and that we can get back to the tuning aspects of the c-14 for the remainder of this thread  :great: Steve

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 06:17:44 pm »
.....and that we can get back to the tuning aspects of the c-14 for the remainder of this thread  :great: Steve

Engineers vs the world and technicians and mechanics would be a great lively new thread.  Please resume the regularly scheduled tuning discussion.  :great:

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 11:43:04 pm »
Steve,
Engineers have come up with some truly great stuff over the years. What they haven't come up with is a way to always satisfy the bean counters in the back office putting the kibosh on parts or all of their designs. So what could have been, is so often, NOT. So is that the engineers' fault?  Or the accountants?     :) 

Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 11:56:11 pm »
Steve,
Engineers have come up with some truly great stuff over the years. What they haven't come up with is a way to always satisfy the bean counters in the back office putting the kibosh on parts or all of their designs. So what could have been, is so often, NOT. So is that the engineers' fault?  Or the accountants?     :) 

Matt

Matt, read reply #7. Steve

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 04:20:54 am »
 :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple:
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 05:01:58 pm »
Steve, apology accepted.  Maybe I was being a bit sensitive but if one reads very many threads there are those kinds of comments made on a not so rare basis. Some engineers do say dumb things. I work with some. On public forums though some tact and avoiding generalizing about people would be helpful. I don't think your un-accomplished. Running a successful business is an accomplishment. I get on here to learn from you guys that spend a lot of time working on these bikes.

Ride safe
Pete

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 06:33:37 pm »
Thanks for that Pete.

Now to all, let's get back to tuning the c-14 for optimum torque and power,  and other exercises in futility, 'cus this really is one darn fine bike as delivered from Kaw  :beerchug: Steve

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 08:31:08 pm »
I think the C-14 is the finest machine ever made  :motonoises: Improving it will be a challenge, but let's do it.

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 09:45:28 pm »
I think the C-14 is the finest machine ever made  :motonoises: Improving it will be a challenge, but let's do it.

I agree that this is a fine machine right out of the box. It's highly capable of going anywhere that there is a road and with a high degree of reliability. It also is able to do 150+ mph in stock form. This fine machine, while loaded and doing 80 mph in 6th gear, will advance to a 100+ in a heartbeat with a slight twist O' wrist. All of the above while getting low to mid 40 mpg! I'm not sure about the rest of you folks here, but I already have a difficult time keeping my bike close to the posted limit.
So my point being, why mess with the reliability of this fine machine to get a fraction of a hair better performance. IMO, get a second bike that you can get your rocks off on!
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 09:56:45 pm »
So my point being, why mess with the reliability of this fine machine to get a fraction of a hair better performance.

1) who said anything about effecting reliability? Shoodaben is stupidly modified and has never let me down.

2) because I think I can.

Steve

Offline Jorge

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 01:41:42 am »
Come on Steve, it's really just #2... right? :rotflmao:
Go boy... maybe by the time I get a C14 you'll have something, and I'll have more courage to do some if those mods :great:
Jorge

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 10:05:44 am »
Come on Steve, it's really just #2... right? :rotflmao:
Jorge

Ya know Jorge, I'm not smart, I'm actually kinda dumb. I mess with stuff and mod stuff because I'm to dumb to know what I'm doing won't work. I've been told many times in my life by those more intelligent and educated than me  "that's not going to work"  but like a fool I forge ahead.  I'm just to dumb to know I'm doomed to failure. This is probably another one of those times.  :-[  Steve

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 12:11:16 pm »
Steve I'd like to hear your ideas, and I would encourage you to experiment with this bike. Had I not done so, we never would have a reflash available. There were several folks on the old forum that told me I'd never be able to reprogram the ECU. I'm sure glad I didn't listen to them.

My major complaint from the beginning was lack of low end torque and poor throttle response on the low end due to the secondaries. There have been a couple folks who have gotten around 160hp out of this bike, at the rear wheel, after doing mods to it. There have also been a couple folks put turbo kits on their bikes and made up around 200hp. If you're willing to experiment, the sky is the limit.
Fred H.