Author Topic: Seems like too much wiring touching forks...  (Read 259 times)

Online GypsyMan

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12967
  • Membership Level: Active
Seems like too much wiring touching forks...
« on: July 01, 2019, 11:13:24 pm »
For starters, I did perform multiple searches on the forum to find the answer, but had no luck.

When installing Pathfinder LED headlights on my (new to me) 2015 Concours, I saw a LOT of cables/wiring that rubs against both forks - more so on the left fork.  Coming from a 1995 Kawasaki GPZ-1100, which had zero cables/wires rubbing against the forks, I am naturally concerned.  The bike handles great and the cables/wiring are not binding or creating any noticeable effect on the forks when cornering.  Since this is my 1st "new" bike in 24 years, I am amazed at the amount of engineering and technology that went into this machine.  So my question to the collective wisdom of COG - Is the preponderance of cabling touching the forks normal, or do I need to undress Connie and reroute some wires/cables?

Sorry for the quality of the photos - there isn't a lot of room to take a decent photo in that area.
2015 CONCOURS 14 ABS
Candy Lime Green
Karl Lesch COG#12967

Offline gilbysan

• Moped
  • The Fat Ninja Rides Again!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12764
Re: Seems like too much wiring touching forks...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 01:56:26 am »
GypsyMan,
Your question is a good one IMO.  On my '12 C14 I had installed LEDs lamps but removed them in favor of HIDs with the attendant ballasts and igniters and cables.  It took some time but I figured out how to get the stuff up into the upper right and left fairings next to the Mirror mounts.  I used some material and made "socks" that has neoprene on one side and what looks like hook and loop on the other to cushion the ballasts and igniters and zip tied it all so that it does not interfere with the fork tubes.  You cannot see them when you look down there.

Having said that, there is a lot of cabling that makes it way around and by the forks on both sides. As I have added different farkles to the Connie, it takes me more time to plan the cabling route, dress it with wire loom, and zip tie it all out of the way than it does to actually install the farkle but, that is the fun I guess. 

Good luck!
Gilbysan
gilbysan

Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Online ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:00:16 am »
Looks pretty normal to me!!  :great:
My Horns have Horns.

Offline RICH59

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12505
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 11:01:56 am »
I noticed the same thing on my '15 when I mounted bar risers.  I figured that is the way is was designed so I haven't done anything about it.  So far everything still looks good.

Online GypsyMan

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12967
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 12:14:08 pm »
Thanks everyone - I appreciate the feedback.  I will still look at cable routing in the future when I get the nerve to pull the fairing off, but it's good to know that this "seems" to be the way the bike comes from the factory.
2015 CONCOURS 14 ABS
Candy Lime Green
Karl Lesch COG#12967