Author Topic: shaky headlights  (Read 614 times)

Offline Max

• Scooter
  • CDA 264
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8762
  • Membership Level: Active
shaky headlights
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:26:58 am »
I have a problem, my headlights, gauges and windshield  are bouncing up and down while im going down the road,  are they all interconnected somewhere. what all do i have to remove to get to it.  also i have an extended warrant still in effect, would this be something best left to the dealer to deal with since i should be free or is it a relatively simple fix i could manage myself?

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: shaky headlights
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 11:49:46 am »
Has the bike ever been dropped or in any kind of accident? Can you move either mirror up and down or fore and aft by hand? Can you move the headlight assembly by hand?
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 02:38:40 pm »
Check the two bolts that attach the fairing support too the motorcycle frame at the neck of the motorcycle.  You can look down toward the front wheel between the fairing/dash and the fuel tank, you will need to use a flashlight and look for two bolts that go from left to right that hold the fairing to the frame. Many people have found them to be loose or totally missing.  Since your fairing is vibrating you will probably see two holes where the bolts belong, for a quick check hold the fairing by the headlights and try to move it up and down, if it moves at all you are probably missing the bolts.  They can be replaced from above with a little patience and some luck putting the nuts on.  Hope this helps and good luck.

SW ROADRUNNER

Offline Max

• Scooter
  • CDA 264
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 03:33:44 pm »
got back home to th bike and sure enough the whole upper fairing is loose, ill look for the bolts you described. im out of town working and dont have my manual here but i do have freds dvds and can always look at the fiche on ron ayers  if i need a detailed reference.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:31:06 pm by Max »

Offline Max

• Scooter
  • CDA 264
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 08:35:43 pm »
sure enough, one bolt missing on bottom and the nut is off the top bolt  any idea what size i need. ill go get some at the bolt and fastener shop tomorrow..  a 12mm wrench fits the remaining bolt head so thats an 8mm bolt
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:50:48 pm by Max »

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 09:20:24 pm »
I do not remember the grip length  but they need to be longer than the stock bolts, put a nut on and tighten it, then put a cap nut on and tighten it against the first nut,will not come loose again and the cap nut will keep the wiring from rubbing.  Might check with your dealership for bolt specs or look at partzill ficsh.

Offline Max

• Scooter
  • CDA 264
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 11:20:12 pm »
well, did a bit of looking online, and someone said it was a 10mm knew it was replaced his ra-ra-ra, nope went to the hardware store  got 10's and theyre too big. 8mmx65mm long looks like. should have stuck to my own opinion. ill get some tomorrow.

Offline Max

• Scooter
  • CDA 264
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 10:12:47 pm »
got it solved, thanks to all. for the record the bolts are 8mmx50 and it takes 2 sockets/ratchets to get them tightened. they have blue locktite on them, they arent coming back off without someone seriously wants to work at it.