Author Topic: Shifting difficulties with my 2011 C 14  (Read 9831 times)

Offline mehush

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11038
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: Shifting difficulties with my 2011 C 14
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2014, 07:42:37 pm »
Has nothing to do with it being a Wing and more to do with being a Honda.  My 06' Honda CBR1000RR shifts smoother than my 11' C14...and I ride them both like I stole 'em.

I have the same two bikes in my garage and ride them in a similar fashion. Hopefully, the industrial type tranny on the Kawi lasts for ever and ever.

Offline mtnbandit

• Mini Bike
  • 2011 C-14 Black
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9917
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:14 pm »
   My 2011 didn't seem to shift smoothly compared to my Bandit and Blackbird. I followed some advise that I found on this forum and installed a "GR Throttle Tamer". It certainly made shifting much smoother without the jerky feeling.
  Brent

mtnbandit

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2014, 01:32:50 am »
Both of my bandits shifted like dump trucks compared to my Connie.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10454
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2014, 02:10:20 am »
The Connie is the worse shifting bike I ever had barring the old Harley Davidson. However, the V-Rod Harley shifts tons better than the C14.
Connie drives like a brute race bike. One either likes it or hates it.

I long ago understood what guys were saying about not shifting below 4. Low rpm are not in the menu for this beast...seems like to me.
I am voting for anyone who wasn't there during the government shut-down.

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2014, 02:34:35 am »
This is one FUNNY thread ,  I don't want to say what I think because I'd hurt some feelings , sure wish I could I could find one of these sport / GW to ride with :rotflmao: I've had four Honda's and two Yamaha's.  It was a fluke that I found Royal Purple motorcycle oil on sale, I never used it before but I know a factory train mechanic that swears by it, I have over 7,000 miles since my last change and it shifts like butter, had Mobil 1 in it before which helped. Some people like to buy cheap  oil and change offen  , I'd rather buy $ top of the line oil and change less, when I drive easy I skip using clutch ,
one SWEET transmission.  :beerchug:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2014, 03:03:55 am »
The funny thing is some people shift smooth, some don't. Some people have vibration handlebars, some don't

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2014, 03:07:33 am »
The funny thing is some people shift smooth, some don't. Some people have vibration handlebars, some don't
Some peoples' mechanics give them vibes and some don't.   :))
Couldn't help myself nando.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2014, 04:02:27 am »
I understand Matt, its ok kid! carry on

I wish I could drive other folks Connies and experience the 'no vibration engine bolt torque cure' which I didn't, nor the grind-less shifting at lower rpm, which I do, or the cure for the surge at low speed which did not happen with the throttle tamer as claimed by some.
I either don't know what I am doing, or this particular bike has idiosyncrasies that others don't. Since I been riding these horses since the 60s, I would dismiss the first notion. If I could ride a Connie and not experience the vibrations nor the grinding shifting I would trade mine in immediately for a newer model. When I bought this bike there was some murky insinuations by the service manager that this was a 'returned' bike or something like that. I never quite got it, but it could be this one has a boogie-man in it.

I tried putting the OEM potato launcher back, the original throttle tube back...nothing. The engine runs really smooth. I mean like butter. I had a valve and throttle body and it was a great improvement on how the bike ran. But the vibs persisted. Hard luck I guess.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2014, 04:17:52 am »
I wish I could drive other folks Connies and experience the 'no vibration engine bolt torque cure' which I didn't, nor the grind-less shifting at lower rpm, which I do, or the cure for the surge at low speed which did not happen with the throttle tamer as claimed by some.
I either don't know what I am doing, or this particular bike has idiosyncrasies that others don't. Since I been riding these horses since the 60s, I would dismiss the first notion. If I could ride a Connie and not experience the vibrations nor the grinding shifting I would trade mine in immediately for a newer model. When I bought this bike there was some murky insinuations by the service manager that this was a 'returned' bike or something like that. I never quite got it, but it could be this one has a boogie-man in it.

I tried putting the OEM potato launcher back, the original throttle tube back...nothing. The engine runs really smooth. I mean like butter. I had a valve and throttle body and it was a great improvement on how the bike ran. But the vibs persisted. Hard luck I guess.

Maybe sport touring bikes just don't like being trapped on an island ND?  ???

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2014, 10:29:43 am »
I've had about 10 Kawasaki's in a row now, and I always used to joke about them being hard and clunky shifting bikes. Character if you will...lol.
Seriously, I would ride a new Hon-duh CBR1000RR, and would be just amazed at how smoothly that bike would shift. But that same smooth powered effortless shifting Honda was boring to ride, just meh.

Then, I don't know what came over me, but I had to try a couple Triumphs. First and 08 Tiger 1050, and then a Sprint-ST 1050. Yes I got a couple Triumph t-shirts, no I didn't buy a tweed jacket and turn into a hipster or anything, but oh my god did those bikes shift smoothly. Like nothing I had ever ridden...they just shifted like pulling a hot knife through butter. No joke. I had several friends try the bikes as well, and they agreed. Too bad though that the rest of the bikes were junk. I'd actually get down on my knees and kiss that 1050 transmission if I wouldn't get a mouthful of oil, or get a connecting rod in the eye.

I guess my point is, if the C14 is a hard shifting bike, then I certainly don't notice it. It feels like it shifts as smooth as a babies bottom to me, at least compared to my previous Kwakas;)>

I'm out,
TGIF people.

Cory
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2014, 03:33:51 pm »
The Triumph Trophy, which I dumped a while ago, shifts so much smoother than the Kawi.
However its engine is quite inferior to the C14, and plagued with problems

Offline Joe

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10990
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2014, 03:48:41 pm »
Matt

Maybe it is something with our black 2012's Matt.  Mine shifts smooth too, and never felt any vibration not related to the stock tires.
2012 C14 Black
2001 C10.  SOLD
CDA #444.

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2017, 01:59:20 pm »
Matt

Maybe it is something with our black 2012's Matt.  Mine shifts smooth too, and never felt any vibration not related to the stock tires.

Mine is a black 2012, shifts horribly and the vibration in the handlebars put my right hand fingertips to sleep.  :??:
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2017, 02:34:56 pm »
Have you considered the Murph's "Bearinged Up" shifter mod?

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=463
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2017, 04:51:21 pm »
Have you considered the Murph's "Bearinged Up" shifter mod?

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=463

Have you tried it? Did it make that big a difference when it comes to upshifting and not missing your gears, etc?
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2017, 01:44:43 pm »
I have not tried one but I have no issues shifting my 2012.  But it sounds like it may be worth a try.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline OKC14

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2017, 03:25:26 pm »
I've never had any issues shifting my C14. Its smooth as butter, clutch or no clutch.  That is all.

Offline Sprocket

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12284
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2017, 05:13:38 pm »
2011 with about 30k on it, throttle tamer really did not make a noticeable difference for me, I do have the EVO flash and did have the Decel, neither which had any effect on my shifting, clunky shifting unless I make a very concerted effort, best is to keep rpm just slightly up when backing off the throttle when shifting, not necessarily easy as this engine lights up so easiliy.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2017, 09:11:32 pm »
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=463
I bought it and it made a huge difference. I took my linkage off and found the plastic bushing in there had cracked and was in bad shape. I oiled it at first and it was better but when I got my Berringd up shifter it was smooth as butter. Best $21 I've spent on my bike. I had AST lowering pegs on it so maybe that allowed the Bearings to improve it more than normal but my size 13's are shifting much better now. I'd try this before you even adjusted it and bet you will be surprised.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:21:49 pm by Dirtwiz »
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.