Author Topic: Shipping Concours 14  (Read 616 times)

Offline firehaz1

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Shipping Concours 14
« on: July 24, 2018, 04:02:38 am »
My wife and I are retiring to Myrtle Beach, SC from Philadelphia and need to ship the Connie. Have a price of 662.00 from Federal Transport. Was looking at uship.com and price was half. Has anyone used them. I use to watch the tv show but that does not mean much. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Art

Offline hank

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Shipping Concours 14
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 12:29:41 am »
I had a ultra classic shipped with uship and all went well, it took about a week longer than the said only small issue.

Offline Egodriver71

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:09:02 am »
My wife and I are retiring to Myrtle Beach, SC from Philadelphia and need to ship the Connie. Have a price of 662.00 from Federal Transport. Was looking at uship.com and price was half. Has anyone used them. I use to watch the tv show but that does not mean much. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Art

Had my current C14 and a Ninja 250 shipped by someone using uship.com.

C14 came from Wisconsin and the Ninja from Georgia to Florida.  I think both were shipped by the same guy for a little more than $500.

I would say the Amtrak Auto Train, but your destination is halfway down for that.
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 12:00:54 pm »
I've had good luck shipping with Uship, 4 total moves, using two separate shippers.

Ask questions, time frames, insurance bonds, etc.

Always reasonable fair price, and good service.  It's like the ebay of shipping!

The last shipper i used went by the name of D and D Transport, and the owners names were Don and Ramona Cole.  Great shipper, and I highly recommend looking to see if they still offer services.  Of course, it's ALL about timing, and where they'll be and when they can pick up.

good luck,

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 05:22:59 pm »
Make sure they do not strap to the handle bars or the rear grab bars. Those will snap off easily.
Lower tripple tree only for the front. If you see that those straps may rub the faring- crisscross the straps and they wont touch the faring.
For the rear of the bike the strongest part of any bike is always the swing frame. One around the drive shaft housing and the other on the swing frame.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Colt45

• Scooter
  • COGnito Ergo Zoom
  • COG#: 7914
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 04:26:26 pm »
I got my MiniTrail 70 through uShip.  No problems or damage. 

Got a truck and/or a good trailer, uShip could be a nice retirement job. 
John  '09 Concours 14 TCBM  Full Area P, Traxxion & Penske 8987, MR Flash, Front Canyon Cages
'00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattavegas  COG #7914   IBA #33000

Online AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 05:48:34 pm »
Take a few minutes to read about UShip experiences by other COG members.
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 07:52:53 am »
Take a few minutes to read about UShip experiences by other COG members.

Yeah, I remember Matt's nightmare story about shipping a couple of bikes out west.  The only reason there was any kind of happy ending was a bunch of nice Coggers chipped in and helped him out.  I miss seeing his posts on here.  Anyone know what he's up to and how he's doing?  Did he just completely walk away from bikes?

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.....just got me wondering.....

As far as using UShip, my advice would be to keep perfect records, check out the individual as much as possible, verify shippers insurance/bond coverage and if you don't have full coverage on your bike, I'd talk to my insurance company about making sure you are covered in the event of an accident etc.  Have lots of high quality pictures of your bike as well.  Maybe even hold his firstborn child until your bike arrives safely! :D

Online AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 12:53:30 pm »
Good advice.  Check out the shipper's insurance.  Supplement with your own.  I'm shipping my bikes back to the US by ship. The shipper's insurance does not cover replacement value.  Not even close...I bought a supplemental policy through my own insurance company to cover the period from my releasing the bikes to the shipper until delivery. 
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 02:44:48 pm »
I had a fantastic experience with my shipper, who I listed in my previous post.

They are riders, retired, and have excellent equipment.  I remember telling him to not strap to the handlebars, and he didn't.

Understanding there are many bad shippers, and many things that can go wrong - I had nothing but praise for D&D.

They're still on Uship, and I can give you their contact info if you need it.  PM me.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...