Author Topic: Shoodaben Mountain Runner Flash  (Read 2388 times)

Online Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Shoodaben Mountain Runner Flash
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 02:54:47 pm »

it does, thanks Steve, and glad you weren't ticked :)
Appreciate your response and enlightenment, since as you can see, I'm an amateur when it comes to mechanics, flashing and fuel mapping. Here in Toronto, my go-to flash would probably be the Evo; there are some hills here, but wouldn't justify the new mountain flash. I will do the throttle cable adjustment this weekend and take it for a spin. I will also take my action camera with me, and see if I can show you that stupid binary engine behaviour that drives me crazy! would it make any difference on that the fact that i have a 2 Brothers slip on installed on my Connie?

You don't need to do any go pro work I know exactly what you're talking about. As far as the slip on... slip ons actually reduce some of the engine braking due to less back pressure. it's not alot, but it's there.

BTW, I just mentioned to my wife that trying to explain what the flash feels like is kind of like trying to tell a blind person what blue looks like, or tell a man what having a baby is like. Yeah, we have words, but they just don't get the job done. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline strum

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 03:08:06 pm »
  I spent a lot of time testing the this and collaborating back and forth with Steve.  I was focused on mountain riding characteristics so I never tried top speeds.
  I did do a couple of drag race style holeshots running it through the first 4 or 5 gears with out letting up . just fanning the clutch. I never felt any power losses there but i think the wide open throttle part of tuning isnt effected with the flash anyway.  the only time i ever tried top speeds was way before i had the flash and as i remember I hit 150 mph shifted into 6th and had to get out of it. I may be wrong here but i think it remember reading that 6th doesn't roll top speeds dramatically because its more of an overdrive and tested top speeds are done in 5th. There again i may be totally off here.
  Any way that wasnt my focus when testing the MR flash.
  I did find the decel to be different than the evo . I never ran the "decel" flash so i cant compare that but i really like the MR decel.
   Im talking running roads like wolf pen gap, richard russell and the dragon and running as hard as I can with the rpms up (multiple gear ranges but a lot of 3rd and 4th)
  When approaching a corner the decel feels to me like I have a bungee tied to me thats holding me back progressively like it getting stretched (more and more holdback) and when i start rolling back on its the opposite , power coming on very smooth but with authority and the bungee is letting me go .
  For me the shifting in all the gears are much smoother.This something I was focusing on .  So when guys say they cant tell any difference im at a loss.
  We have to remember we are riding a beast so lets not confuse raw power in shifting with jerking. there is some trades offs here when tuning so as I understand it Steve has to really tune a fine line here. If he backs out (delays) power in an certain area for instance to please me this could give the feeling of power loss for someone else. its really not power loss , just a change of feel. there are guys who run roads that they like to stay in 5th and 6th gear so he has tune in low rpm high gear power .  Its a job and im glad its him not me lol.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:13:53 pm by strum »
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline Throttle 8

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12220
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 08:01:43 pm »

[/quote]

Appreciate your response and enlightenment, since as you can see, I'm an amateur when it comes to mechanics, flashing and fuel mapping. Here in Toronto, my go-to flash would probably be the Evo; there are some hills here, but wouldn't justify the new mountain flash. I will do the throttle cable adjustment this weekend and take it for a spin. I will also take my action camera with me, and see if I can show you that stupid binary engine behaviour that drives me crazy! would it make any difference on that the fact that i have a 2 Brothers slip on installed on my Connie?
[/quote]

I am in Sudbury----next spring we should meet up around Huntsville for a ride. I guarantee you will be sold on Steve's improvements. His Decel flash, and an Area P slipon have turned my bike from a great bike into a beast. I am following intently because I honestly didn't think he would ever be able to improve on his Decel flash.
2014  C14 ABS (Metallic Spark Black)
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline kd4pop

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum Subsc
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 12:11:19 am »
To all just get the flash done, it will be the best money you have spent on the bike. You can sit here all night and make post about this. There is 56 post on this subject already(REALLY) Quit being cheap and get it done. :motonoises:. Bottom line

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Bicycle
  • No matter where you go, there you are...
  • COG#: 12503
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 12:42:56 am »
Hey Steve, would I still need to keep the O2 sensors disconnected?

Offline Motodoc

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 12713
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 12:51:18 am »
 :))  I get my ecu back tomorrow with the MR and I can't wait.  I'll post after I ride with my impressions.  Steve was GREAT to deal with and made the deal easy.
I'll repost after I ride.  I live in Chattanooga TN and ride lots of elevation changes and twistys.  I love my '08, I've only had it for 6 months or so, but I've always hated the herky jerky throttle on/off.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 01:08:42 am »
Hey Steve, would I still need to keep the O2 sensors disconnected?

No, i was recommending that before in an "abundance of caution" because it can't be wrong. but the 02 sensors are shut off so connected or disconnected doesn't matter. Steve

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 01:11:25 am »
To all just get the flash done, it will be the best money you have spent on the bike. You can sit here all night and make post about this. There is 56 post on this subject already(REALLY) Quit being cheap and get it done. :motonoises:. Bottom line

One thing that's glaringly evident, and we see it even in THIS thread, is that the guys who have the flash say "get it" and the guys who have never experienced my work are fretting about every little imagined issue.  >:(  Steve

Offline Nodesurfer

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 01:55:01 am »
I will say GET IT as well, but unfortunately for me, it's rain today and for the rest of the week. So the next chance I may get to ride will be Sunday, which is predicted to be sunny with a high of 42. And I can guarantee that I will bundle up, head out there, and loft the front wheel a few times and find some twisties to play on. Until then, she sits in the garaged, spit-shined from top to bottom, all dressed up and nowhere to go.

Recent picture:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uuFHiynebdPEAQVAy78NfBHA8GM58DpR/view?usp=sharing

Offline kv5e

• Roll miles, Keep smiles
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Push Mountain Road
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 5063
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 03:11:53 pm »
If anyone receives "unsolicited" PMs and does not want them, there are options:

1. Delete them
2. Respond to the submitter and ask them to stop
3. Report them in a thread and/ or to a moderator
4. Your forum profile allows you disable receiving PM messages or email messages.

7- Advertising - Any subscriber may advertise motorcycle related products and services in the relevant COG Mart section of the forum. Industry Members only may ‘reference’ their products/services in a relevant reply to a thread, any advertising should be done as an afterthought to providing members genuine help or assistance.

Use of PM messages targeted toward a specific product from a competing thread is not considered good netiquette.

I would ask those surreptitiously doing this to refrain and post your own thread(s).

If you have a specific product you are enthusiastic about, then you should be able to gain interest and market share using the forum threads dedicated to the product you *recommend*.

Please, "DON'T GAME THE SYSTEM".

Consider becoming an Industry Member and being forthright and above board in your dealings with the COG Members and Forum Subscribers.

I am not showing favoritism here, just asking for adherence to forum decorum.

Cordially,

Craig
South Central Area Director

Offline Smitty

• Training Wheels
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 04:11:11 pm »
Steve, if he actually used your product he would know that the dyno tables are not faked...to preoccupied with fuel cut  :))
'08 Kawasaki Concours ABS; Decel Flashed by SiSF ("Gazelleda")
'09 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive ("Super Scoot") [sold]

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9616
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 04:26:25 pm »
I am a customer of Ivan, and thats it.no commision, check, or discount.

I paid full price,  plus shipping, for all the work ive had him do to both my bikes.  In fact, theres another thread showing my receipt.

At worst, im a crazy Ivans  customer, but any opinion posted, or pm'ed is mine alone and has nothing to do with Ivan.
Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Offline kv5e

• Roll miles, Keep smiles
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Push Mountain Road
  • COG#: 5063
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 04:37:18 pm »
I am a customer of Ivan, and thats it.no commision, check, or discount.

I paid full price,  plus shipping, for all the work ive had him do to both my bikes.  In fact, theres another thread showing my receipt.

At worst, im a crazy Ivans  customer, but any opinion posted, or pm'ed is mine alone and has nothing to do with Ivan.

Fine, prospective customers for any product should not be picked off by PM activity by anyone unless solicited by the poster.

Rather than be confrontational in an existing thread, start your own.  Confrontational is defined as repeated responses to someone attempting to "pin them down" on an argument about specific features that they may decline to not answer or discuss.

Crazy Ivan's may have a great product, expound that product in your recommendations by a way that is positive. That is all the moderation staff is asking.

Repeated and unsolicited PMing of a specific product to participants for a competing product will not be tolerated.

Posters are not "fair game" for you Sir to PM unless they ask to be contacted. Have I made my self clear here?

Cordially,

Craig
South Central Area Director

Online connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 05:04:27 pm »

One thing that's glaringly evident, and we see it even in THIS thread, is that the guys who have the flash say "get it" and the guys who have never experienced my work are fretting about every little imagined issue.  >:(  Steve

Err,, getting back to the subject.

I understand that the folks {that don't have one of Steve's Flashes} want to ask questions.
  Yes, they can go back and read the countless posts about how well they work..
  But,,,, the idea of a Forum is to discuss things...
         So, let's discuss their questions, and help them make a decision.

After they become one of the "enlightened" and buy,,,
   I'm sure they'll be here,, answering the same questions for the next guys..  :great:
         and saying,,, "quit asking questions and buy"!!!
                                  :)

PS: For those that are trying to decide which of his Flash's to buy,,,
           "They are all good"..
               You will NOT be disappointed.
                   "Now, quit asking questions and buy one"!!    <evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:29:31 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 05:06:22 pm »

[/quote]

I am in Sudbury----next spring we should meet up around Huntsville for a ride. I guarantee you will be sold on Steve's improvements. His Decel flash, and an Area P slipon have turned my bike from a great bike into a beast. I am following intently because I honestly didn't think he would ever be able to improve on his Decel flash.
[/quote]
sounds like a plan!!
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Throttle 8

• Moped
  • COG#: 12220
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 05:16:34 pm »
Two Brothers is a good slipon---you won't have any issues with the flash; it will actually stop most of the decel pop you are getting now. I still have just a little with my Area P (but I like it and don't want to get rid of it-lol!).
The 5-0 will definitely hear us when we get on it next spring on Southwood Rd, or the Hockley Valley. :D
2014  C14 ABS (Metallic Spark Black)
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline Devasya

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 11:47:04 pm »
Just got back from a better test ride of the MR flash. My initial thoughts about 6th gear hesitation were not validated. Today at about 49 degrees, clear blue sky, it ran through the rpm range in 6th no problemo. NO hesitation at all and it felt really strong.

Noticed also a good mpg increase on the order of 8%-10% in normal mode.

Put up a new vid with updated comments. https://youtu.be/8LYXoETsfFM

I hate to be all "me too" but this is IMO totally worth it. It would feel odd to go back to the OEM behavior. It would feel quirky now I think.

So, me too. (but not #metoo) you know... :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:55:38 am by Devasya, Reason: link »

Offline Motodoc

• Big Wheels
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2017, 09:41:16 pm »
 :-\  Finally got to ride my bike with the MR flash.  DAMN, what a difference!!!  Everything previously stated about this flash is spot on and, even got a December discount.  I shelled out a few extra shekels for overnight and I got it back the next day!  Steve called me right after I emailed him, we discussed pros and cons and set up the shipment.  Easy process but the results are FANTASTIC!  I rode with my buddy that has a '12 and I pulled away from him the first time I rolled into it.  It's everything stated and more, I absolutely love it.
My 2 cents worth and a very satisfied customer.  And...I got a decal!

Online connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2017, 10:32:43 pm »
Motodoc /others, we need details.
  Did you previously have a Flash?
  Did the 12 have a Flash?
  Were both bike set up the same (slip-on / etc wise)?
  Have you compared with that 12 before?

Nice that it could accell better,, but, was it better in the twisties?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Motodoc

• Big Wheels
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2017, 01:21:36 am »
I have a Scorpion slip on, other than that it's bone stock until this flash.  My buddies '12 is stock other than a VH slip-on.  What I noticed today:  I pulled away from him as soon as I rolled into the throttle moderately hard.  The low end, beginning at about 3700 rpm's, pulls with a LOT more torque (I'm talking lean forward when you crank the throttle torque) and no hesitation.  Up and down shifts are much smoother at low and higher rpm's.  It pulls like a mule and revs feel harder and quicker but not jerky.  I had learned to caress the throttle so I didn't do the herky jerky prior to the flash.  The bike ran like it was on steroids but all the power just felt smoother and more manageable to me.
My riding buddy is a better rider than I am and  ,til very recently,he would wait on me to catch up always.  I've put about 4000 miles on my bike since August when I bought it so I had a good feel for it before and after the flash.  I currently have just over 17000 miles on the bike.  I told my buddy, who is a very competitive rider, that he needed to ride mine now (which I bought from him in August) and he kinda nodded and said, "yeah, I think I'm gonna get that done to mine as soon as I can afford it".
Those are my impressions after a short, cold ride today.  Tomorrow we are going to hit a lot more of the twisties on a longer ride.
That's my current 2 cents worth on the MR flash by Steve! :))

Offline Motodoc

• Big Wheels
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2017, 01:29:12 am »
Didn't hit a lot of twisties today but I did notice that I wasn't touching the brake going into a corner due to the increase in engine braking when I let out of the throttle to enter a turn.  I live In Chattanooga TN and there isn't a straight road around here.  The engine braking or decel, whichever you prefer to call it, is SMOOTH but drastically increased when you let off the throttle.  Before the flash, when I let off the throttle, it would throw me forward if I let off too fast, no more, no more.   

Offline Nodesurfer

• Training Wheels
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2017, 04:02:37 pm »
Took my 2009 with the MR flash out yesterday for an couple hours of cold weather riding. One hour of back roads and one hour of basically riding it to the gym and back, the long way.

The mileage continues to climb, despite my regularly twisting the throttle. Although it does drop when I do that, it comes back up when I don't. Average around town is now at 42.5 but I expect a highway trip of any decent length would have it closer to 50.

Also, prior to the flash, I had wound it up a few times in first and second and lofted the front wheel a little. The only time I've wound it up in first since, it pretty much scared me, it came up so quickly. So I have avoided that. But before the exhaust (V&H) the K&N filter, and the flash, I had briefly taken it up to 115 MPH in 3rd gear, then dropped it back.

Yesterday, I was on a nice straight stretch of deserted road and wound it up gently in 5th, quickly reaching 125, and shifted into 6th and maintained it for a little bit. She was smooth as silk and turning 5900 RPM's at 125. I didn't feel like doing any more, but felt like it would have easily blown right past 150 or 160 if I'd wanted to.

Other than that, just getting the feel of it into and around some curves. Definitely feels like a much more stable and controllable riding experience. And coming back on throttle after turning a corner or decelerating into a curve is super smooth.

Offline Motodoc

• Big Wheels
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2017, 09:14:30 pm »
I did a cold weather run yesterday as well and the power increase is significant.  I rolled into it pretty hard in 3rd and bumped 4th and pegged 125 in a blink.  Lots of twisties were had and some black ice so I was being careful since I'm very attached to the flesh on my body.  Huge difference in the power and engine braking.

Offline Nodesurfer

• Training Wheels
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2017, 03:37:26 am »
Yeah, that black ice scares the hell out of me. I don't much care for melted tar snakes on 95 degree days either, on the twisties. And when skin meets road, road always wins.

I can tell you that from when I got in a wreck on my 2010 Goldwing in September 2014. Lost a lot of meat on my right arm. T-shirt and jeans. Never a good idea, but it was nice out. Until the bike and I parted ways and I became, for a brief time, like an astronaut on a spacewalk. Which did not last long enough, and wound up with my right forearm taking all my weight on it as the road took the top of it off. Broken shoulder in multiple places, collapsed lung, bashed knee, staples in my right shin. Road rash galore. It took 4 units of blood, 3 surgeries and 4 months to the day out of work before going back before I was somewhat operational again. And then a year before I got the wife to "let" me get another bike. A nice V-Star 1100 from Craig's List, nicely equipped, for $3300. It got me back in the wind with the guys, but it wasn't ever "me". I'm so much happier with the Connie now. And a little more aware of the fact that no matter how many bikes you've had (quite a few), and no matter how many miles you've racked up (many), it can happen to you.

I'll share if you dare.

This was the arm shortly after the wreck, and getting cleaned up a little. Lots of meat and muscle gone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NfhslgWtxGXa7WSzebbOn9qKQ7oPaCCT/view?usp=sharing

This was the arm after a skin graft from my thigh was attached. Still massively swollen. There's like 80 staples in it. That "white mesh" is my actual skin from my thigh. bleached, perforated through some type of meat grinder/prep machine, stretched, and ready to grow back.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A02NAU07KNFLLJnNIVPciyqmg2DGsSZJ/view?usp=sharing

And this is the finished product, a little over 3 years later. Not pretty, but it works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u8eahQjWXzhZUxlGE8p2Q9zGPDps3MlS/view?usp=sharing

After that, they let me recoup a little bit and then did a 7 hour surgery on my shoulder, the ball and socket being broken into a bunch of little pieces. Titanium bracket with 13 screws in there now, all back together, nice and neat, somewhat painful at times, but functional...and plenty able to twist that throttle again.   ;)

Be careful out there.

Offline Motodoc

• Big Wheels
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2017, 12:37:00 am »
Nodesurfer...OUCH...OUCH...AND OUCH!
Yeah, I prefer my flesh ON my body.  I have no desire to contact the pavement off my bike.  I'm quite conscience of the fact that it can happen at any time.  Ain't NOBODY got time for dat! :-[