Author Topic: Should timing be set with the CCT in or out?  (Read 987 times)

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Should timing be set with the CCT in or out?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 03:44:02 am »
Removing the rotor wasn't "Necessary", only the chain link (pin) count matters. If it worked for you and helped get everything back where it belongs.... the end result is what really counts. I see two valuable lessons here. First, keep asking questions before taking action that's outside the norm. Second, saving a few dollars by using the wrong tool is very expensive.
  Just about anyone who knows the difference between a Posidrive, Phillips and JIS  screwdrivers should be able to do this work. It's not rocket science but it can really try your patience and requires you to be very exact. Measure not twice but thrice before cutting.

Killface, thanks for having the stones to tell us what happened so others can learn. That's why we're here.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 05:23:32 pm »
I never knew there was a difference in "star" drivers.  Always just found one that fit better if it was trying to slip.  But I was able to pull off C14 valve job with little problem.  I did watch the videos though.  I did the C10 all from forum writings first time.  My tool box is like a single top tray with just a hand full of tools.  I did break down and got light torque wrench.   I figured if the torque was over 20 lbs I could use my old gnt method.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 08:13:07 pm »
Ever wonder why so many Phillips screws get rounded out on our bikes? They are not Phillips but JIS screws and are just different enough to mess with your head. Look closely at the tip of a Phillips screwdriver then look very closely into a JIS screw. The screwdriver comes to more of a point and will not fully engage the screw. If your desperate you can file some of the point off for better engagement. Some German bikes also use Posidrive screws and they are also different.
  The most expensive tool you can buy is a cheep torque wrench. Especially when working in aluminum.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14

Offline JaL3

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 09:50:20 pm »
I just bought two JIS drivers, #2 and 3. You can use JIS driver on Phillips screws but not the other way around.

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2018, 06:08:01 am »
Maybe you can but you shouldn't. I can also use a pipe wrench to remove Whitworth (BSW & BSF) bolts. Overlay those two diagrams and see what you get.

In the underwater demolition business we had a saying. Measured with a micrometer, marked with a grease pencil, cut with a torch and removed with C4. :)

Killface, did you get back on the road?