Author Topic: Snowbirds - educate me  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Snowbirds - educate me
« on: March 10, 2017, 01:42:23 am »
  I'm in Fl, I don't do winter storage  :nananana:

But for those of you who DO store your bike for the winter, can you tell if the performance is off when you burn out the old fuel? and if it was stabilized, can you also tell if the performance is off?

Another way to ask this would be - does your bike run better when you put in the first new tank of fuel for the season?

Thanks, Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Snowbirds - educate me
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 02:27:54 am »
I'm in Fl, I don't do winter storage

Rub it in smart guy!  Seriously though, I'm in central Indiana (Indianapolis area) and I don't do winter storage here either.  Today it was 60F and great for riding.  I generally ride 12 months out of the year but there are some stretches where I might have to go 2-3 weeks without riding.

I try to keep E0 in my bike all the time during the winter months.

I have noticed my mower, which does go unused for several months, runs crappy until I burn off the stabilized fuel and refill with unstabilized fuel.  I assume that's due to the gasoline being either diluted or somehow inhibited by the stabilizer.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone has published some research on this topic.  You might try your Google-fu and see what you come up with.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 02:34:21 am »
stabilizer  used, usually try to make the last tank premium, I don't feel any difference
2003 concours winnipeg manitoba canada

Offline Jeff Kerkow

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 02:42:29 am »
Yes I use stabilizer.  In  my opinion the first tank does not run as good as the next tank. Exhaust kind of stinks. Idles a little rough.  I may be putting to much or not enough in.  I almost always burn Non-Oxy premium.
It's not a competition, It's a demonstration. "Rowan"
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 03:16:41 am »
I try to use pure gas toward the end of the riding season with Stabil. Same with my mowers. I don't notice any performance degradation. I don't think the Stabil causes any issues.

Offline Throttle 8

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12220
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 03:18:54 am »
My bike is stored from mid November to early May every year. My ritual is Shell hi test gas (no ethanol). Put in fuel stabilizer, shake bike side to side to mix it in; then start and fire up and let run for 10 minutes to get right thru the entire system. Then battery tender and cover when cool.  There may be a little degradation by spring, but it is not noticeable to my butt as I am usually just so happy to be riding again!
2014  C14 ABS (Metallic Spark Black)
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 06:06:10 am »
I winterize and yes I use stabilizer. I try really hard to put in as much pure gas in as I can. (alcohol free)  It's about a 35 mile run one way for pure premium on a mountain road. Up hill going and down hill coming back. If the low fuel light is flashing when I get there all the better. Then in goes the Stabil when I get home. I've found the bike runs pretty good on that winter tank in the spring. Not earth shattering but no hiccups either. If the place had pure midgrade I probably would put that in in stead of the premium.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9318
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 10:55:33 am »
Hi test fuel and stabal. I never notice a difference in the first tank as my riding skills are stale in the spring and I don't push things.

I second the Shell high test when I can get it. A noticeable fuel mileage improvement.

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 12:50:50 pm »
stabilizer  used, usually try to make the last tank premium, I don't feel any difference

Same here.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline Classvino

• Lifelong Kawi Rider
  • Road Bike
  • Smells wrong... Oh, it's a 4-stroke...
  • COG#: 11233
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 01:04:24 pm »
...There may be a little degradation by spring, but it is not noticeable to my butt as I am usually just so happy to be riding again!

Exactly what I was just thinking...  I use Stabil + Premium.  Actually, that first tankful might be better off generating a little less power for me, as it takes a few rides for me to get back up to "riding form" anyway, after a (minimum) 3 month hiatus...

But to answer the original question : No noticeable difference, for me.

Jamie

Offline Jeff

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12267
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 01:08:41 pm »
I am the same with most here, non ethanol and stabile.  never had problems. I also start my bike every time we have a bit of a warm spell, close to 32.  I think it is important to move fuel through the system, especially carburetors.  Gas tends to hold up better during the colder months.  Where I have more problems is summarizing my winter stuff. I believe gas breaks down at a much faster rate in warm temperatures.  It is usually quiet noticeable when I refuel snowmobiles and snow blowers with fresh gas.   

Offline mr t

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7173
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 02:11:17 pm »
Steve- I double dose with blue Sta-bil a full tank of non ethanol 91 octane, ride a few miles and then drain the carbs. In May, I prime the carbs, it starts and runs well immediately. There is a slight odor from the exhaust which I think is from the Sta-bil. Same program with the C10 I leave in FL for 8 months.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline BigK

• Scooter
  • COG#: 3642
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 02:26:46 pm »
I don't normally winterize either, live in Indiana. do put some stabilizer in tank during winter only because I do have some extended non-riding time due to weather. I also know that they have what they call a winter blend that comes from the refineries during the winter months. Haven't really notice much of a power difference but have noticed a fuel mileage difference (lower MPG) especially if it sets for one of those extended rests. I think the winter fuel is made to vaporize easier put I am not a fuel expert or chemist. Just giving my untested observations.
Kevin
Indy AAD

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 02:57:03 pm »
Steve I have switch to Star-Tron from Sta-Bil. I find less to no white of that white
stuff in the float bowls. I am here in Traverse City Mi where we get some cold
weather, right now it's 16. Back to topic, I top off with REGULAR from the Holiday
station and use the recommend amount of Star-Tron. I also plug the tank vent and
both sides of the gas line. This is usally in Noverber. Yes first tank I can tell it's
stail gas.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 03:02:18 pm »
Steve sorry for the mis-spelling of previous post. I also wanted to
thankyou for your post on changing ABS brake fluid. I have a BMW
in the shop waiting for the owner to come up with the $1200 for
a new/used ABS pump. Never changed the fluid.

Offline jonathan

• Road Bike
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 03:17:41 pm »
My bike sits for 6 months. I always use premium gas and have never used stabil. I don't notice any difference on the first ride.
Calgary, Alberta

Offline walter

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 05:41:33 pm »
The most mine will sit is two months as there is usually a break in the weather when I will take it out. With that in mind I run premium with no stabil and don't notice a difference. I would think to really notice something you would have to at least double or triple that time frame unless its stored in a high humidity area.

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 07:36:30 pm »
I ride the motorcycle enough during the winter that fuel stabilization is not necessary.  However, I have two JetSkis, one fuel injected 4-stroke and one carbureted 2-stroke.  These sit for about 6 months with ethanol fuel and the Sta-Bil Marine stabilizer.  I notice no difference on the old fuel with stabilizer for my fuel injected 4-stroke JetSki.  I notice a slight difference (drop) in performance for the 2-stroke with the old fuel. 
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline Bob

• Bob
  • Training Wheels
  • COG#: 1398
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 11:31:19 pm »
C-14 gets put to bed Nov 1 and back on the road March 15. Use E0 and stabil for winter storage. First spring ride the exhaust stinks funny but haven't noticed a drop in performance.
BUT, in the fall the temperature and humidity are higher and first spring ride temperature and humidity are usually lower. Sooo, was there really a performance or environmental difference? Don't know.

Bob Skinner

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 12:28:37 am »
Polish potato Vodka

Keeps the tubes clean :dance:

We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Bicycle
  • No matter where you go, there you are...
  • COG#: 12503
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 12:36:09 am »
No difference at all.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 02:56:19 pm »
Is the Polish potato Vodka for you or the bike??

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 11:53:40 am »
The bike of course ,

been 30  years since I've had a bloody Mary :)  screwdriver, or a  Russian.

I'm a wine-O ... red wine fruit of the vine  ... :party0036:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Brant Bandit

• Bicycle
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 01:01:15 pm »
My bike could normally sit from December 1 to April 1 (that would be the longest). I don't do much "winterization" because I will take it out weather permitting.

I simply add some stabil, connect my tender, get both wheels off the ground (center stand and a block of wood under the header).

There is no difference in idling or performance for me.

Online Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 04:43:07 pm »
Steve,
I have no idea how crudded up my carbs may have been when you did them last year, but I did not send them to you because they needed work, I just wanted the performance improvement (and got it).
I did have some problems after I'd had the bike about a year, but I'm going to blame that on the PO; he'd ridden the bike 10,000 miles in 5 years.
My routing was that in early November, I would carry a small bottle of Sta-Bil, and I would put some in every tankful. Since I never knew when my last ride was coming, I wanted it to he all the way through the fuel system. If bad weather caught me with a less-than-full tank, I would add more Sta-Bil at home, and use the mower/tractor fuel carrier to fill it up.
I never noticed a difference, either when I started using Sta-Bil, or when I stopped.

Jorge