Author Topic: Taps vs. Threadchasers  (Read 1650 times)

Offline lars

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12204
  • Membership Level: Active
Taps vs. Threadchasers
« on: March 02, 2017, 02:50:48 am »
This question is specifically about the tapped holes in the frame for the support brackets.   In other posts people recommended using taps to clean the threadlock out of the holes.  Taps, being the cutting tools they are, will probably do a good job of cleaning out the threadlock, but may/will also shave off a little of the frame while they're at it.

My impression of threadchasers is that they gently massage any damaged threads back into position without doing any metal removal.  I could be wrong about this, and would encourage enlightenment.

The real question is: will the threadchaser do a good job of removing the threadlock?

Thanks for any help.

L

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Taps vs. Threadchasers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:03:31 am »
The real question is: will the threadchaser do a good job of removing the threadlock?
It will all depend on what your definition of "good" is.

Thread chasers will clean and gently massage any damaged threads back into position, but they will not clean out as much thread-lock as a tap will.

So, I'll say it again...... It will all depend on what your definition of "good" is.
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:03:48 am »
Taps are designed to cut NEW threads, thread chasers are designed to re-form an already tapped hole.  That being said, a tap will also chase threads provided you are very careful with it.  It's also quite easy to cut new threads across the existing ones and make a mess for yourself.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline cappyg

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 12:18:48 pm »
Hello,

i would not use a tap.  Taps are toleranced for various classes of fits.  Some are oversized for all different types of applications.  (Plating and heat treating).  The only taps that I have used to clean threads have been dulled purposely on the leading cutting edge on a bench grinder to prevent cutting any new material from the hole.  Since I work at machine shop I have plenty of these on hand. You could try filing a groove along the length of a cap screw to help catch the crap from the hole and use it as a thread cleanout tool.  Just in my experience taps in existing hole tend to re-cut hole oversized, again this has a lot to do with the class of fit or thread tolerance.

Greg.
Greg in Cincinnati
GTR1400 08' "Holy Kaw" Shoodaben EVO Flashed
T500 75' Suzuki Titan
XR400 98' Honda "Tractor"

Offline cappyg

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 12:25:12 pm »
You could also just use a plain old bolt to clean the threads with some Methylene Chloride.  This should help loosen up the loctite goo.  I have also used small spiral wound stainless steel wire brushes, but then again I have access to these in the shop.

Hope this helps,
Greg.
Greg in Cincinnati
GTR1400 08' "Holy Kaw" Shoodaben EVO Flashed
T500 75' Suzuki Titan
XR400 98' Honda "Tractor"

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 02:13:12 pm »
Yep, use a thread chaser than a spray of brake cleaner and
a shot of compressed air. Your good to go. don't forget your
safety glasses.

Offline lars

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12204
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 01:57:28 am »
Greg in Cinicinnati,

I like you for modifying a bolt.  I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

L

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Mini Bike
  • No matter where you go, there you are...
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12503
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 01:10:58 pm »
I bought a set of thread chasers at Sears. (Craftsman) it was $60. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-48-pc-sae-metric-thread-restorer-kit/p-00942275000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=Cj0KEQiAxeTFBRCGmIq_7rGt_r8BEiQANdPqUlZODEI2amLWwcn4qmTFrlmSyn9iBO16OOqrB5VYOf4aAjQ38P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yes, I also have a very nice set of taps and dies, and I'm US NAVY trained in how to use them...lol

I use the chasers to clean holes / fix threads.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 06:34:15 pm »
Here ya go:
tip of the day, 
Take a new bolt of whatever thread pitch you desire to clean threads on. Using a cutting wheel, or bench grinder with a squared edge stone grind/cut a slot (or two if they are done with a cutting wheel), in the threads at a slight angle off of perpendicular to the threads for about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in length.  This will do two things; it will give you a "sharpened" edge on the thread that will clear out goo and crap from the threads and it also allows a small area for that cleared goo to accumulate not in the threads. Using brake Kleen or something similar will help loosen even more.   This will also allow you to get to the bottom of blind holes fairly well.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 06:39:25 pm »
Since Matt brought up "blind holes" here's another trick for the day... Never EVER hydrolock a blind hole with fluid, rtv, threadlocker, whatever. You'll blow out the housing the hole is drilled into. BTDT. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 09:40:54 pm »
I run with scissors... :rotflmao: :nananana:

I "chase" threads using a neww, and sharp good quality tap...
If you can't use a tool, you will damage things no matter what tool you use... people strip and crossthread bolts just installing them in a hurried and sloppy manner...
I don't need 2 tools to do one job, I know how to use a tap correctly.
Ymmv

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 08:55:28 pm »
Many good methods here,,
Thread chasers,, Are a great tool, they will clean out any extra thread lock, and insure mating threads.
Taps and dies, doe the same thing, more precise, much more expensive, but the overall result,, it matched threads.
Matts, method,, Excellant, for some one that does not have either of the above, works great to chase threads!
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 01:37:58 am »
I assume the OP has already done whatever he decided to do.

So this is for others that may read this post.

I agree that you can use whatever you are comfortable with.

ME - I was a Diemaker for 20+ years and would use a TAP any day of the week.
But like others have said - I know how to use a TAP.

I also have just about every size of tap (under 1" or 25mm) - Both English and Metric.

When I installed my Canyon Cages I needed to clean out the thread-lock left behind and used a TAP and it worked FINE.

If you have never used a TAP or just a few times then a Thread Chaser may be a better option so you do mess up the threads.

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 02:38:41 am »
All so true. Matt's method has been used before with great success. It works. Also Steve's advice. Watch out for blind holes (Tapped threads with no through hole). Blow them out with air. Thread chasers work good. A true tap works better. Make sure you are using a starting tap and have it STARTED properly. ANY binding STOP! Use a starting tap to START a blind hole. Use a bottoming tap to finish a blind hole. NEVER use a bottoming tap to start a thread or clean threads. And use a good fluid (tapmatic) or A1 for aluminum (Aloominium for the English folks).
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.