Author Topic: Sold my C14  (Read 1870 times)

Offline ADMBILLY

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10255
  • Membership Level: Active
Sold my C14
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:37:24 pm »
  :( , sold the best bike I've ever owned or ridden ( and I've been riding since 1963 ) It was a 2008 Concours with 53,750 miles on it at sale ( I didn't put all those miles on her being the 3rd owner ) pinched nerve in my lower neck made it almost impossible to ride, but the doctors are trying to resolve the problem. If and when I'll be looking at another Concours, still have lots of miles left in me!!!!

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
Re: Sold my C14
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:40:46 pm »
Sorry to hear. Pop in from time to time and say hey.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 01:23:07 am »
If and when I'll be looking at another Concours, still have lots of miles left in me!!!!

:great: :beerchug:

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline RideBellChain

• I ride because I can...
  • Street Cruiser
  • Nothing like a good sweeper on an empty road...
    • RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10039
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 05:59:10 pm »
Sorry to hear...I'm having some issues in my neck lately, too, and looking back, it coincides with me switching to the VStream windshield last winter.  I wanted a bit more protection from the wind (you know it gets freezing here in S. Florida!), but I wanted a little less buffeting for my wife when shes on the back.

I think that it's a bit taller and not getting as much air on my face and chest (which is putting more strain on my neck to hold up the helmet.)  I noticed when riding in the rain the other day that the drops were moving down, not sideways, which means there's turbulence pushing down on my head.  I did not experience that with the stock windshield...I'm 5'10 with 31" inseam.

My neck now "cracks" like a knuckle way too easily, and feels weak when drying my hair with a towel.  I guess I need to see a doctor, but I came to the idea to switch the screen first and see if it goes away.

I rode my cruiser yesterday. Completely different position, no pressure at all on the neck.  Maybe you should look into a different style bike until things get resolved...you don't want to quit riding, I'm sure...

Anyway, hope you feel better soon - and you're always welcome here.  :)
Ride Safe!
Mark
http://www.RideBellChain.com

Road Captain SCRC 456 - West Palm Beach, FL
ROK ROK100028857

Offline x9rider

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:22:06 am »
+1 a bike with a more upright seating position might be just the ticket to get you riding again.
2010 Concours ABS - Blue

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10454
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 06:04:01 pm »
I personal see a dilemma in the sitting up straight position vs the leaning forward. The bikes I sit up straight tend to promote hot spot in your arsses because the vertical sitting puts all the weight on two points of your sitting equipment. The leaning forward tend to spread those pressure points under your hamstring area.

Sitting straight transfer every bump up the spine. Sitting leaning forward dampens those impacts more.

Leaning forward seems to put too much pressure in your elbows and hands. Sitting straight, your arms are more relaxed.

Some guys I talked to can't understand why cruiser want to lean back on their bikes because that position makes you have very little control of the bike--vs the leaning forward.

It might be good to have  ASP (adjustable sitting position) technology...you can electronically move the handlebars, seat, and have a pair of highway pegs pop out of the frame when you need them.

Funny thing is, when I was young, the issues of "sitting position" on my bikes never even occurred to me.
I am voting for anyone who wasn't there during the government shut-down.

Offline smooth_operator

• government isn't the solution to our problems. government is the problem!
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10773
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 11:57:09 am »

Funny thing is, when I was young, the issues of "sitting position" on my bikes never even occurred to me.
[/quote]

Amen to that Brother Nando!

Hope your neck gets better soon. With all the aches and pains that come with advancing age, I find the hot tub to be beneficial. A nice libation, and some reading material at my side, I let the jets do the work of rehabilitation.

Of course any spinal nerve pain is awful. I can testify seeing as I've had two lower back surgeries.  Good luck!
75 MT 125 Esinore   73 CB 360T  82 Virago 920  08 Metropolitan II "step through"  2012 C14  Candy Arabian Red

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties that standing armies.
--Thomas Jefferson
 CDA 553                               END THE FED!!

Offline x9rider

• Mini Bike
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 01:36:06 pm »
There are many great seats to eliminate the pressure points of sitting upright. Ultimate seat, Corbin, Mustang, etc. are all excellent seats. Highway pegs allow you to stretch out your legs if you want.

Give the upright seating postion a try. Many guys are moving from the sportbike seating position which has many negatives to upright seating and they never look back.

I am 6'1" and have risers on my c14. I still find myself leaning on the handlebars which results in numbness and tingling in my hands, which I did not experience on my previous bike, which was a little more upright. I sort of sat in a clamshell, or C configuration. Very comfortable for riding, but you need a good seat for that position.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:42:09 pm by x9rider »
2010 Concours ABS - Blue

Offline Joe

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10990
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 03:18:24 pm »
I must be in the minority again.... I would like to have my bars lower by 2 or 3 inches! 
2012 C14 Black
2001 C10.  SOLD
CDA #444.

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 03:27:02 pm »
I must be in the minority again.... I would like to have my bars lower by 2 or 3 inches!
+1 Had to lower mine. The 'sit up and beg' didn't work for me.

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 08:03:08 pm »
Its all about styles of riding ain't it?

But the deal with touring for 5-8hrs a day on a Moto brings about a different ergonomic set of circumstances
For the ironbuttest types, leaning back against a large bag on the rear seat is a must, extending the legs periodically unto highways pegs a welcome change. And a wideass seat a must.
For the rocketcroucheteer, leaning forward prompts maximum maneuverability on high speed curves.

My touring animal GL owner friend calls bikes with pretty choppers 'pretenders'...because the only thing one can do with those bikes is bar-hop...not sure that the judgment is deserving, but it makes a point:  that its all about riding style.

Offline jonathan

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 02:06:36 pm »
+1 Had to lower mine. The 'sit up and beg' didn't work for me.

I lowered mine too, by about an inch. Any more and they may hit the tank.
Calgary, Alberta

Offline Gabriel

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 05:21:58 pm »
I sold my C14 and bought a FJR then I bought another C14 :great: and later sold the FJR. What was I thinking? :-[

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 05:31:40 pm »
You must have been attacked by the same bad spirit as me...the one that makes you think: "there must be a better bike out there"...but there isn't!

I was deceived by the same spirit who taunted me into a Trophy...dude! The Light came to rescue me out of that thing...thanks be to the Lord!  :beerchug:  I am happily rejoined with my Connie.

...and being around the people here is 'nother plus, I must say.

Offline TLR

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11171
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 03:18:33 am »
Sorry to hear...I'm having some issues in my neck lately, too, and looking back, it coincides with me switching to the VStream windshield last winter.

My neck now "cracks" like a knuckle way too easily, and feels weak when drying my hair with a towel.  I guess I need to see a doctor, but I came to the idea to switch the screen first and see if it goes away.

If you don't mind getting some advice you didn't ask for:  I'd bet that a good physical therapist can analyze, diagnose, and treat your neck problem as well as--or better--than a doctor. 

I had a hand going weaker and weaker over time.  An excellent sports orthopedic doc analyzed it correctly, but then told me to go see a physical therapist to get a bunch of exercises that would make it go away.

It did, shortly after starting those exercises.

Just fyi.
1982 Suzuki SP250Z
1994 Suzuki VS800GL Intruder
2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400 (the fast red color)