Author Topic: Soliciting Selling Tips  (Read 283 times)

Offline Jacquelyn

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Soliciting Selling Tips
« on: January 25, 2019, 08:53:36 pm »
I will be listing my C14 for sale on Cycle Trader next week.

My bike is nicely accessorized, and I'll be listing it at a good price to move it quickly.

1. Any general selling tips?
2. There is a loan on the bike - would you suggest I pay it off to have title in hand at point of sale? I can do it, I just get stingy about taking money out of savings. Obviously I'd put it right back when sold.   

Offline konehead

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9065
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Soliciting Selling Tips
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 09:08:31 pm »
Always better with title in hand....imho...  :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 09:40:09 pm »
I suggest getting that title, so pay it and then sell immediatly.

The issue about that is if you have it financed, you don't really "own" it, until the lien is satisfied, and stamped on the title, as you currently have what is called a Lien Copy of the title only, for license plate purchase.
Also, make sure you notify your insurance company as soon as you do that, as it will drop your rate substantailly, and immediatly; giving you more play money. It also protects you if you decide to let the prospective buyer ride the thing... if he wrecks it, and it's not free and clear title, it becomes a real mess... had that happen once, and I can say without a doubt it was a painful experience.
I shouldn't have to mention the normal cautions, but I will...
Make sure the prospective buyers all have VALID drivers licenses, and if they ride it, full gear, helmet included, whether its a law where you live or not.
Keep the buyers license in your hand, while they test ride the bike, do not allow them to ride without you holding the license, it's not "illegal" to do so, and if they are stopped, they can return with the LEO, to obtain the license and explain. I'd also waant to have some kind of cash in hand/financial money up front with a "wreck it you bought it" understanding of the buyer....

If you feel uncomfortable about any terms in selling, it may be wise to actually arrange the "test ride" from your local Police department, where they meet you there, and ride the bike, after having positive Identification done by the LEO's, (pretty much EVERY police department will accommodate your request, they recommend this and help you) it's the safest way to weed out any issues of theft, and or malevolence from creeps.

I only caution these things as just this past year, a local ADV rider near me, was conducting a sale of 2 motorcycles, from his house, and didn't think wisely, 3 different people showed up during the day, and looked but did not buy. The next night, his garage was broken into, and both bikes, and a third one, were taken. He was almost totally screwed, but he was smart enough to write down the license plate numbers of each persons vehicle, when they arrived, without them realizing it. The police were somewhat hesitant, but did followup and assist, and the bikes were found 3 days later, but the guy was sweating bullets for 3 days crying the blues.... and as it turned out, all the guys that showed up that day, were involved in the theft....

best of luck on your sale,

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Jacquelyn

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 09:51:16 pm »
I suggest getting that title, so pay it and then sell immediatly.

The issue about that is if you have it financed, you don't really "own" it, until the lien is satisfied, and stamped on the title, as you currently have what is called a Lien Copy of the title only, for license plate purchase.
Also, make sure you notify your insurance company as soon as you do that, as it will drop your rate substantailly, and immediatly; giving you more play money. It also protects you if you decide to let the prospective buyer ride the thing... if he wrecks it, and it's not free and clear title, it becomes a real mess... had that happen once, and I can say without a doubt it was a painful experience.
I shouldn't have to mention the normal cautions, but I will...
Make sure the prospective buyers all have VALID drivers licenses, and if they ride it, full gear, helmet included, whether its a law where you live or not.
Keep the buyers license in your hand, while they test ride the bike, do not allow them to ride without you holding the license, it's not "illegal" to do so, and if they are stopped, they can return with the LEO, to obtain the license and explain. I'd also waant to have some kind of cash in hand/financial money up front with a "wreck it you bought it" understanding of the buyer....

If you feel uncomfortable about any terms in selling, it may be wise to actually arrange the "test ride" from your local Police department, where they meet you there, and ride the bike, after having positive Identification done by the LEO's, (pretty much EVERY police department will accommodate your request, they recommend this and help you) it's the safest way to weed out any issues of theft, and or malevolence from creeps.

I only caution these things as just this past year, a local ADV rider near me, was conducting a sale of 2 motorcycles, from his house, and didn't think wisely, 3 different people showed up during the day, and looked but did not buy. The next night, his garage was broken into, and both bikes, and a third one, were taken. He was almost totally screwed, but he was smart enough to write down the license plate numbers of each persons vehicle, when they arrived, without them realizing it. The police were somewhat hesitant, but did followup and assist, and the bikes were found 3 days later, but the guy was sweating bullets for 3 days crying the blues.... and as it turned out, all the guys that showed up that day, were involved in the theft....

best of luck on your sale,

Excellent suggestions - thank you. Weary of test rides, and how the buyer presents themselves will be critical to honoring that request. Heck, most dealers won't let you test ride. Love the suggestion about conducting at the local PD. 

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 01:42:02 pm »
I'm a paranoid guy.  Had alot of things stolen from me over the years, despite my good intentions and typical reticence of trusting others.  ::)

Didn't ever think to utilize the local PD to facilitate a sale.  THAT is a good tip!

First bike I owned, I sold to some yahoo in college.  Guy took off on it for nearly three hours.....he had no idea how close he came to getting the cops called on him.
Fortunately he returned, and bought it.

GLWS.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...