Author Topic: Source for sub frame bolts  (Read 300 times)

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12507
  • Membership Level: Active
Source for sub frame bolts
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:08:18 pm »
Got my Fred videos and getting very close to starting my valves. Only parts I seem to need now, other than a local source for shims, is the sub frame bolts. I've read long threads and sounds like most replace them, some don't, and I will. But do folks just do an order from their local Kawi shop? Or is there another source? You know, I ordered the Murph kit, and I wonder if they come in that, since they are "required" as part of the valve job?

Yippee, bout to get interesting around here.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 15,000 and counting

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Source for sub frame bolts
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:21:10 pm »
Good luck.  There is a link to the parts and tools you need in this thread.  Search for "Kawasaki Parts" on the internet and shop around.  Pay attention to shipping costs.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/observations-after-the-second-valve-check/

Sub-frame Bolts that are recommended for replacement as one time use bolts
[Qty=5  BOLT,FLANGED,8X25 Part #92153-1768]
[Qty=2  BOLT,SOCKET,10X45  Part  #92153-1769] 
[Qty=4 BOLT,FLANGED,8X35part #92153-1770]
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 02:29:54 pm »
Thanks so much. I've already bookmarked a thread you did I think on your first valve job, and didn't come across this one.

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 02:40:41 pm »
To be more specific....Here is a link to the Part numbers and tools needed for the job:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=64203.0
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 04:04:06 pm »
Your local Ace Hardware will have whatever bolt size you need. Usually in SS or Grade 5 and up. At a much lower cost per bolt. Just take the old one in for comparison. Also get some non permanent (blue) locktite.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 05:11:28 pm »
I know that Kawasaki calls for these to be replace when removed but I think that the main reason is the application of thread locking agent.  The new ones from Kawasaki come with that pre-applied.  While RED, it's NOT equivalent to red Loctite but rather seems to be closer to blue Loctite.

If you're going to buy 3rd party fasteners, you might as well clean up the originals and just use blue Loctite unless you damaged them during removal.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 05:33:52 pm »
If it helps, the first time I had the bolts out I cleaned them up and put on Blue Thread locker.  The second time, I went ahead and replaced them and as mentioned, they come with the locking agent.  I did not thread chase the bolt holes the first time.  No issues either time. 

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 05:54:45 pm »
All good advice, thanks. I read somewhere and understand that the bolts are evidently torqued to a level that actually stretches them somewhat, and that the reason they are replaced is that they have been fatigued and no longer able to hold with the same strength.

Now, I also hear right here and have heard before that people re-use these bolts with no apparent ill effects after thousands of miles. I'm not a metallurgist, so am a bit torn. Even if I go to my local hardware store and replace them, I know the bolt quality differs greatly and I would be concerned the ones specified by Kawi are of a higher, or different grade than the standard bolts in that size I get at ACE.

This is one of those small, but important matters :??:

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 10:07:23 pm »
These are steel bolts going into aluminum, you're not going to stretch the bolt without first stripping out the aluminum threads. They are I believe soft steel. I replace every OEM bolt the first time I remove them with a higher quality bolt. It's cheep insurance.
Odds are the OEM spec bolts are dictated more by the bean counters than the engineer. The engineer wants Grade 5 cad plated bolts or better while the bean counter wants and gets the ones that cost less.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver