Author Topic: Stebel air horn install  (Read 376 times)

Offline flyboy3107

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11978
  • Membership Level: Active
Stebel air horn install
« on: May 04, 2018, 10:39:58 pm »
I hope someone can help, I installed the horn with the relay. Everything went OK, except when trying it. It works fine but when I push horn switch, the horn sounds and my my switchback LED lights go off for a second and then come back on. I should state I have power wire  from lights and horn and I tied them together to have just one lug to battery. Thought that might have been the issue so I separated them so now I have two wires attached to battery, with inline fuses. Switchbacks still go out and then back on when I press horn button. What am I missing? Can I tap somewhere else for lights? Any help is kindly appreciated. Just the switchbacks go out, none of the other lights go out.

Scott

Offline Old Steve

• Moped
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10537
Re: Stebel air horn install
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 03:27:57 am »
Is the bike running during these tests?

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 05:39:07 am »
Did you use a relay for the horn? Did you use a relay for the lights? Do they share the same ground? Did you ground the horn directly to the battery?  Does the relay have an internal diode?
Air horns have a very high initial amp draw and will often cause other things on the same circuit to be under powered during the inrush of power.

BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline flyboy3107

• Moped
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 08:35:32 am »
Is the bike running during these tests?
Tried it both ways, same results

Offline flyboy3107

• Moped
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 08:37:51 am »
Did you use a relay for the horn? Did you use a relay for the lights? Do they share the same ground? Did you ground the horn directly to the battery?  Does the relay have an internal diode?
Air horns have a very high initial amp draw and will often cause other things on the same circuit to be under powered during the inrush of power.
Yes,No,NoNo, Don't know, it was supplied with horn.

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 08:42:57 am »
Run one more wire, an independent ground wire directly to the battery for the horn should solve your problem.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 09:01:08 am »
As for the relay question of does it have an internal diode. Anything with a motor such as an air horn has the potential to "leak" voltage backward and can damage other components. This isn't a very good explanation but you can get the basic idea. Look at your relay where the connection numbers are. If there is a little funny looking line with an arrow between two or more of the connections it has a diode. The diode acts as a one way check valve in the circuit.
  Any electrical engineers jump in here.