Author Topic: Steering Stem bearing grease help  (Read 577 times)

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Steering Stem bearing grease help
« on: July 16, 2018, 03:19:15 am »
Hi all, how much Time would you say it takes to regrease the steering stem bearing?  I’m about to do a valve clearance check and throttle body sync, air filter change to K&N, replace the plugs, and change ALL fluids on my 09’ connie with 26k miles.  Thinking of adding the regreasing of the steering stem bearing into the mix of this work. What do you guys think in terms of time it takes and whether or not it’s worth it?

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: Steering Stem bearing grease help
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 08:40:21 am »
If you're pulling the forks to change fork oil, pulling the rest to get to the bearings shouldn't take too long.  It's 9 years old, so personally, I'd say to pull them for cleaning and inspection.  As for a time estimate, I don't have one.  I have multiple bike syndrome, so I've got other bikes to ride and don't really get hung up on how long something takes.  Buy yourself a cheap lift from harbor freight.  You really will find yourself enjoying maintenance work a lot more!  You might also make a post to see about borrowing a specialty socket that is floating around the country that will make setting the torque on the bearing much easier.  It's out there somewhere.

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 03:59:21 am »
My plan was not to pull the forks, I just wanted to re-grease the bearings but are you saying it can’t be done unless I pull the forks?

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 09:27:21 am »
I guess if you're just going to grease the upper bearing, you could leave the forks on.  Are you planning to do the lower bearings?  Trying to do the lowers without pulling the lower triple tree seems like it would be a pain in the butt.  Maybe you could do it that way, but I probably wouldn't.  I'd think pretty hard about taking TimR's suggestion and installing tapered roller bearings.  They feel pretty nice in my GL650I.  I believe it was Deepsea that commented that All Balls brand weren't the best quality bearings and that you should just go with one of the major bearing manufacturers like Timken.  I think you might want to decide if this bike is a keeper or not and base your decisions on that.  If this is gonna be a long term bike, then I'd probably take things a bit further than something that wasn't going to hang around. 

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12672
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 01:59:20 pm »
I guess if you're just going to grease the upper bearing, you could leave the forks on.  Are you planning to do the lower bearings?  Trying to do the lowers without pulling the lower triple tree seems like it would be a pain in the butt.  Maybe you could do it that way, but I probably wouldn't.  I'd think pretty hard about taking TimR's suggestion and installing tapered roller bearings.  They feel pretty nice in my GL650I.  I believe it was Deepsea that commented that All Balls brand weren't the best quality bearings and that you should just go with one of the major bearing manufacturers like Timken.  I think you might want to decide if this bike is a keeper or not and base your decisions on that.  If this is gonna be a long term bike, then I'd probably take things a bit further than something that wasn't going to hang around.

Timken and SKF don’t make roller bearings for this bike. I did find a part number for ntn though, I’ll dig around and find it again. It’s in my post history somewhere.

All Balls would be fine in this application. There’s little torque and not much load on the bearings.

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 02:58:34 pm »
To answer to original question, is it worth greasing the bearings? In my opinion, yes. And I will say that leaving the fork tubes connected to the lower triple tree and dropping down as an assembly should work just fine for a simple inspection and re-greasing. I would also put an eyeball and a finger on the lower bearing race to check its surface condition.
Somewhere on this forum is a traveling head nut tool. It made my maintenance project mucho easier.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 06:42:39 pm »
My plan was not to pull the forks, I just wanted to re-grease the bearings but are you saying it can’t be done unless I pull the forks?

read what I responded to on the 'tool' question, and also about removing forks... which I highly suggest... just greasing the upper bearing is not conducive to effective maintenance.. seeing as the weight of the bike is sitting on the bottom bearing...
https://tinyurl.com/y9gentcc

hope this helps

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 03:10:46 pm »
 This has all been very helpful. Do you know if the part of the fairing that wraps around the front of the Fork also has to come off? Or do you pull the fork down through that portion so that you don’t have to remove the headlight & digital gauges?  I definitely need to find that head nut tool because I do plan on keeping this bike long time

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 05:55:20 pm »
This has all been very helpful. Do you know if the part of the fairing that wraps around the front of the Fork also has to come off? Or do you pull the fork down through that portion so that you don’t have to remove the headlight & digital gauges?  I definitely need to find that head nut tool because I do plan on keeping this bike long time
Get yourself a service manual if you plan keeping the bike. You can get them from Kawasaki, or other avenues...

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 04:44:48 am »
I got it thanks