Author Topic: Steve's Flash for Canadians  (Read 349 times)

Offline joliver

• Mini Bike
    • My former biking days.
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10420
  • Membership Level: Active
Steve's Flash for Canadians
« on: April 09, 2017, 05:41:16 pm »
I had been holding off on getting Steve's flash as I was worried about the issue of crossing the border.  I have bought a lot of things out the US. Sometimes I get nailed on duty and sometimes I don't. With the item being listed with a value of $1000 US, the charge would be nasty.

Long story short: Steve sent the package USPS and it got here in good time and tax-free.  Apparently, the stories I heard were not accurate or I am blessed.

I installed it and now I am waiting for the roads to be cleared of gravel. They won't clean until there is no snow in the forecast and we have snow showing pretty much every day for the next 2 weeks. I really don't think I can wait much longer!!!!  >:( :'(
15 1400 ABS
02 Connie Purchased used after a 35 year break.
75 Suzuki GT 550
72 Suzuki T500
69 Suzuki 250

Offline cowie

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Steve's Flash for Canadians
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 06:15:21 pm »
what value did steve put on the package?

Offline Throttle 8

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12220
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:49:25 pm »
I had been holding off on getting Steve's flash as I was worried about the issue of crossing the border.  I have bought a lot of things out the US. Sometimes I get nailed on duty and sometimes I don't. With the item being listed with a value of $1000 US, the charge would be nasty.

Long story short: Steve sent the package USPS and it got here in good time and tax-free.  Apparently, the stories I heard were not accurate or I am blessed.

I installed it and now I am waiting for the roads to be cleared of gravel. They won't clean until there is no snow in the forecast and we have snow showing pretty much every day for the next 2 weeks. I really don't think I can wait much longer!!!!  >:( :'(

You are blessed! I personally have had battles with both Canadian and U.S customs with some of the stoopidest people on the face of the earth (just ask Steve) to get my ecu across the border and back . I even had to fight (and win!) to recover $200 in Canadian customs that I had to pay BEFORE they would release my own ecu back to me! >:(
2014  C14 ABS (Metallic Spark Black)
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline joliver

• Mini Bike
    • My former biking days.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 03:59:49 pm »
what value did steve put on the package?

$1000 US
15 1400 ABS
75 Suzuki GT 550
72 Suzuki T500
69 Suzuki 250

Offline joliver

• Mini Bike
    • My former biking days.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 04:04:41 pm »

You are blessed! I personally have had battles with both Canadian and U.S customs with some of the stoopidest people on the face of the earth (just ask Steve) to get my ecu across the border and back . I even had to fight (and win!) to recover $200 in Canadian customs that I had to pay BEFORE they would release my own ecu back to me! >:(
[/quote]

Yes, I am blessed. I was worried about the kind of problem you described.
15 1400 ABS
75 Suzuki GT 550
72 Suzuki T500
69 Suzuki 250

Offline Dave_Wilton

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9111
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 12:25:08 pm »
I would like to do the Evo flash but am reluctant to send off the ecu to the States. Plus, this time of year now that we can ride again I do not want any downtime. Wish there was a practical way to just take a ride and get it done while I wait. I'm in Winnipeg - approx 400 miles NNW of Minneapolis.
Dave

Offline cowie

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 02:01:09 pm »
When i got my ecu back i had to pay dutie on $1100 usd. After sending two letters and getting a invoice from steve to send them i ended up having to just pay duties on the cost of the repair $375. They finally sent me a check for what they owed me.

It was a pain in the a** but still glad i did  :)

Now i want to get the evo but this time i would send it with a low value, but with a fast very reliable shipping service.

Theres no way i would chance going through that bs again.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 03:33:53 pm »
I actually tried to get a subsidiary in Canada (a trusted fellow cogger) but I didn't read "the art of the deal' so I couldn't pull it off in the negotiations. :-[

Actually the best I've seen yet is for me to ship international express postal. I write all over the box "repaired, returning to original owner' and the invoice on the outside of the box. So far the guys I've done this with have not paid any duty, but no guarantees.  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Throttle 8

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12220
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 04:40:45 pm »
If I had to do it again, I would put a $50 value on it and cross my fingers.
2014  C14 ABS (Metallic Spark Black)
2000 ZX12R Ninja