Author Topic: Stop n Go tire repair kit  (Read 598 times)

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10410
  • Membership Level: Active
Stop n Go tire repair kit
« on: July 30, 2017, 01:28:10 am »
I bought one of these 3 years ago, and actually forgot about it. Stuck it in a hardbag, and outa site, outa mind!  Last week I took a sheetrock screw through the back tire. (Why is it always a new tire that this happens to?)  I had a slow leak which the TPMS display showed. After getting to my destination, it took about 3hrs to fully deflate. Oh what to do? Then I remembered my repair kit! Hallaluya! After fiddling with the instructions, we got it figgered out! Once the pieces are together, it takes about 5 mins to do the repair and be back on the road! The tire has been plugged for a week and I've put on perhaps 500 miles with stints of 100 mph....no worries! ;)
  This kit cost about $60 on Amazon, but it is definitely worth the money! Comes with a compressor and built in pressure gauge! I highly recommend this kit to anyone!  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:37:18 am by Bruiser »
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline khager01

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Stop n Go tire repair kit
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 01:46:25 am »
  Last week I took a sheetrock screw through the back tire. (Why is it always a new tire that this happens to?)

There is magnetic material mixed into the tread at the tire factory, and it is strongest in the outer parts of the tread.  As the tread wears down the magnetic field is gradually weakened, and screws and nails are no longer attracted to the tire. The more expensive tires,  naturally have more of this magnetic material in the tread. ;D
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 07:37:12 am »
  Last week I took a sheetrock screw through the back tire. (Why is it always a new tire that this happens to?)

There is magnetic material mixed into the tread at the tire factory, and it is strongest in the outer parts of the tread.  As the tread wears down the magnetic field is gradually weakened, and screws and nails are no longer attracted to the tire. The more expensive tires,  naturally have more of this magnetic material in the tread. ;D
I hope you're joking... ;)

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 11:26:47 am »

I believe he was.  Pretty funny! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9812
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 12:57:11 pm »

FISH ON!
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 02:57:55 pm »

I believe he was.  Pretty funny! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Maybe not...google Degaussing tires

Offline TicTac

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11256
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 03:38:12 am »
I bought one of these 3 years ago, and actually forgot about it. Stuck it in a hardbag, and outa site, outa mind!  Last week I took a sheetrock screw through the back tire. (Why is it always a new tire that this happens to?)  I had a slow leak which the TPMS display showed. After getting to my destination, it took about 3hrs to fully deflate. Oh what to do? Then I remembered my repair kit! Hallaluya! After fiddling with the instructions, we got it figgered out! Once the pieces are together, it takes about 5 mins to do the repair and be back on the road! The tire has been plugged for a week and I've put on perhaps 500 miles with stints of 100 mph....no worries! ;)
  This kit cost about $60 on Amazon, but it is definitely worth the money! Comes with a compressor and built in pressure gauge! I highly recommend this kit to anyone!  :beerchug:

It is a good tool and worked well for me for many years.
One small problem with those mushroom plugs.
Once the sealed bag is open, those plugs will go bad in less than a year.
I had one tire plugged for about 6k without any problems. :great:

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 11:54:49 am »

Guys, I've been thinking about buying one of those...however, I wonder if you can use it in the auxiliary port charger. I had the cable changed (long story) to 10amp, and so is the fuse. Could I use it for the pump? Or does it need to be connected straight to the battery?
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 03:44:08 am »

Thanks for the tip! I'll take my seal a meal to them right away!
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 03:46:16 am »

Guys, I've been thinking about buying one of those...however, I wonder if you can use it in the auxiliary port charger. I had the cable changed (long story) to 10amp, and so is the fuse. Could I use it for the pump? Or does it need to be connected straight to the battery?

JD, yes it works in the aux power hole. Also works with the pigtails for the battery charger
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125