Author Topic: Stranded  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Stranded
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 12:50:34 pm »
A common failure on the Honda VFR  was the RR (ReckUlater/Rectumfrier). It could fail in two modes, undercharge or overcharge, I overcharge it would melt connectors and starter relay. The Concours 14 charging system  has a far superior desighn and components but it would not hurt to test the RR output voltage.

I had that issue with my old VFR.... friggin' hated the electricals on that thing!
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Blackgold

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 09:21:52 pm »
Hi all,
I had thought I posted what had happened with my bike.  Man of Blues posted in another thread that I had not - sorry!

Turned out that the second replacement rectifier/regulator failed too.  The connectors to it melted, the starter replay did the same, and the 30a fuse blew as well.  All of the components were replaced and I haven't had an issue since then. 

I thank all of you for your comments, suggestions, and questions too.  Again, please accept my apologies for such a delayed response.  I had thought I had provided a recap of the actions taken to repair the bike.

Best regards,
Blackgold

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9403
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 11:05:24 pm »
So, what have you determined was the underlying cause of the failures?

Offline Blackgold

• Bicycle
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 11:26:49 pm »
The regulator went out on the original part - voltage to battery exceeded 15.
I am not certain why the non-oem replacement part failed.  I did notice that the voltage fluctuated to some degree, with the largest range perhaps .4v.
The OEM replacement rectifier/regulator voltage may change .1 volts, but it stays quite constant.

Hope that helps.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 12:19:52 am »
Thanks for posting up, that's good to know.

Any particular reasons the RECT. failed??  was it damaged or take a hit from debris??
That thing is placed up under the chasis near the rear is memory serves, and seems slightly vulnerable there.

My knowledge of electrics is not very scientific, but to me, it would seem that an OEM rectifier would have some circuitry that
would be specific to the systems in the c14, and would explain why a non-oem replacement would fail.

Glad you're sorted now.

Please keep us posted as you rack up more miles!

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Blackgold

• Bicycle
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 12:35:40 am »
The non-oem rectifier/regulator is only made for the C14.  It looks identical.  Perhaps the circuitry is different as you noted.  I checked the rectifier/regulator as outlined in the service manual. 
One of the diodes didn't match up on the defective oem part.  The replacement non-oem part checked out - I did the test prior to installing it.