Author Topic: Suggestions on dealing with a broken bolt?  (Read 817 times)

Offline 90GLYD

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9649
  • Membership Level: Active
Suggestions on dealing with a broken bolt?
« on: July 04, 2013, 01:58:10 pm »
I recently changed my coolant and when I was replacing the plastic I found that the threads for the battery cover bolt were hosed. I could not get a bolt to go in straight. So I ordered a Loctite Form-A-Thread repair kit. The directions have you coat the bolt with a release agent and fill the hole with the damaged threads with repair compound. Then screw in the bolt and let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes before removing it. After 7 minutes when I tried to remove the bolt it broke.
I started trying to drill into the broken bolt, but my drill bits are not making much progress. I guess I will go buy some harder drill bits. Never used an ez out or a helicoil, but either one will require drilling out this broken bolt. Thinking about taking the bike to a machine shop or garage to see what they say.
I am leaving on a two week bike trip on the 27th, so I would like to get this fixed before then.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline counours 14

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Suggestions on dealing with a broken bolt?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 03:04:04 pm »
New drill bits and a good set of ez outs are the trick. Use a good sharpe center punch and punch the center of the bolt. Then drill out the bolt untill the ez out bits deep enough, it sould caome right out.

Offline postrucks

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9953
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 03:35:24 pm »
What concours 14 said, success depends on drilling out the old bolt correctly. Centered and straight.
I like using these ez outs, I bought a set years ago off the snap on truck, unfortunately I have not been able to find them since. What I like is they are virtually impossible to break. What ever you use take your time, go slow, use a sharp drill bit. The heli coils are easy to use but kind of pricey, I've found that Napa has a good selection.

Offline postrucks

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9953
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 03:51:54 pm »
this is what I mean

Offline 90GLYD

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9649
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:41:19 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. One concern I have is breaking the ez-out. The Loctite Thread repair compound may make it tougher to get the remainder of the bolt out. With the broken off bolt in there I think I can figure out a way to secure the battery cover panel the bolt is supposed to hold down so that I can still go on my trip. If I break off an ez-out trying to remove the bolt I will have the remainder of the ez-out sticking out of the side of the bike.

Offline stelt

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 9955
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 01:17:18 am »
Hello All

being a millwright has given me much practice on broken bolts with thread locker. Heat the bolt before you drill or use an easy out, this will melt the thread locker and it will come right out with far less effort. You could also use a left hand drill bit..they work well also. Get them at Sears I think. The butter bolts that Kawi uses are very soft btw... ???

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 02:20:49 pm »
If your still having trouble drilling the broken bolt try using "Rapid Tap". It's a drilling and tapping compound used to lubricate the drill or tap. They make at least three versions that I know of, one for steel, one for aluminum, and one for "All" metals. A little goes a long way and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. The left hand drill is also an excellent idea. Sears has a L/H easyout-drill that works very well. Once again work slowly, use a good centerpunch, oil the drill bit and good luck.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver