Author Topic: Taking delivery of '17 Connie ABS - blue - next week!  (Read 367 times)

Offline Radioman007

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8615
  • Membership Level: Active
Taking delivery of '17 Connie ABS - blue - next week!
« on: June 16, 2018, 08:33:21 pm »
Hey gang -

Just renewed my COG membership. Why? Because I'm trading my '01 C-10 in on a brand new, in the box '17 Connie ABS. After over 10 years of ownership and 59,000 miles, it's time for an upgrade. It's been a trusty old lumber-wagon. Lots of upgrades in a feeble attempt to improve handling and braking.

I rode a C14 a few weeks ago, then got back on my bike. I thought the brakes were dragging!

I'm 61, retired for one year, and I'm excited like a kid on Christmas morning. This will be my first ever brand new bike. Yippeeeee!!!

Okay, so what upgrades do you think I need to consider right away?

Thanks. It's good to be back.

Chris Wheatley

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
Re: Taking delivery of '17 Connie ABS - blue - next week!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:54:27 pm »
So happy for you. I do not want to sound affected or anything, but FOR F***S sake get the ECU flashed! SISF, Ivan, the creepy guy in the trench coat down the street I don't care! Flash it after you ride it for a week and you will be a believer. (Mine is SISF but I know Ivan does great work too from my ZX-10 experience.)

And Grip Puppies...do it!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Online Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Road Bike
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 09:55:36 pm »
Congrats: the C-14 is an awesome machine  :motonoises:
 the fist thing I would do is call and talk with Steve AKA SISF and ask about ECM flash options. As good as the C-14 is Maw Kaw left a lot on the table when it comes to ECM tuning. I chose Steve's Mountain Rider flash ridability improvement was unbelievable and useable power increase was shocking.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:14:09 pm »
 :motonoises: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 10:29:08 pm »
Flash it (search Steve's Flash) and put a decent seat on it....plenty to chose from but I love my Baldwin GT seat and they are back in business recently. http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 10:41:12 pm »
Seat and set back risers and lowering the riders pegs made mine a lot better! And some new tires!

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 10:54:10 pm »
Congrats on the C14. Even old guys can ride the thing. I am going to disagree with my two friends on getting the flash right away because you will need to get rid of the crappy tires. You might want to wear them out first though. You will have to ride the bike to see if the seat, handle bar angle or handle bar height works for you.

My 09 is not all duded up because I still have the stock seat. I did 1449 miles in 2 days once. When I got home I thought I had a pretty good idea how the cowboys felt after moving cows from Texas to Abilene.

Mounting a GPS might be an idea. The foot pegs might need adjustment for the old knees. I'm looking at who's highway pegs to get. For me after awhile my knees take a hit and my left hip starts whining. So I'll stand up on the pegs once in awhile which tells me I'm ready for a break. I am looking at a different seat.I recently added a Kawasaki trunk and mounted it on a Phil's Rack.  I'm finding this was a good addition. I can lock up a helmet pretty easily in it too.

I would make the bike yours first. You won't need a flash during break in any way. I've read many Flash reviews and have yet to find one who has a resent ECU flash and not like it. Most everyone would say good money spent. But I would wait until you have ridden the bike a bit and then see how a ECU flash makes the bike even more enjoyable. I have my eye on a flash. If you want to know which one Steve's or Ivan's (won't go wrong with either one) send me a PM and I'll tell you.

As Ben pointed out, grip puppies would be a good option.  I like a little fatter grip anyways. Enjoy the bike but remember if the bike is running good and you are feeling good and enjoying the ride,  you had better check the speedometer....This thing can get you a ticket with little or no effort. 

Good luck and welcome back, Tim

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:58:34 pm by TimR »
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 11:07:01 pm »
One thing I forgot...check out the extended warranty offered here as a sticky. My 09 ran out of warranty this last December...9 years of warranty total. Not saying the bike needs it but to me worth the peace of mind. I had a leaky final drive fixed on the extended warranty and it was painless. MOB found us a good deal so don't fall the dealers sales pitch. You can get MOB's warranty any time as long as it has not expired. And it is much cheaper.....   
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline khager01

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 12:42:38 am »
Congrats!  You definitely picked the prettiest color!  A lot of good advice here.  Yeah the stock tires suck but you are going to wear them out pretty quick anyway so I wouldn't waste my money on new tires right away, get used to the bike first and when you wear out your OEM tires in 5K or so miles you will notice the improvement even more when you get new ones.  I replaced mine with Pirelli Angel GT "A" Specs  55 series instead of 50's and WOW! what a difference in the corners.   I just replaced them with Michelin PR4 GT's and I don't have a whole lot of miles on them yet,  but my initial impression is that the Angel's handle slightly better in the twisties but I am hoping the PR4 GT's will last longer,  time will tell.

Also get the ECU flashed, but get some time on the stock ECU first so you will feel and appreciate the difference.  I have Ivan's flash and the increase in power, torque, and smoothness is incredible, low-mid-range all the way to the top.   I just went to his website today and noticed he has a flash now for the FJR 1300 which is another bike I was considering before I bought Miss Connie, and I was comparing it,  and the dyno charts to the C14 and he is not able to produce near the gains on the FJR as he has done on the C14.   So yes Kawasaki has left a lot on the table here as others have said.

Oh yeah get some Canyon cages before you drop it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:53:43 am by khager01 »
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 12:59:22 am »
The wise Tim has spoken!! Good advice.

Yeah, tip over protection is not a bad idea. Just ride it and look to fix the things you don't like.  Paint it green.... :))
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 09:33:57 am »
A brand new in the crate C14. Man, I would be down there helping them get it out and set it up if they would let me. The Flash is something I waited way too long to get. Along the way to The Flash I let the C14 tell me what to do.  This forum pretty much helped with all of it as it did with the C10.  Congrats on that new motorcycle. It's a great feeling.   :great:
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662