Author Topic: Thanks to California, looks like I'll be selling my 2017 C14  (Read 733 times)

Offline Jacquelyn

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Thanks to California, looks like I'll be selling my 2017 C14
« on: December 22, 2018, 01:43:35 pm »
Well, anyone thinking of trying to register a non Ca certified emission bike in California, be forewarned.

I bought my 2017 in Illinois, and shipped it here not knowing that I would not be able to register it. In California it must be a Ca CARB certified model, or proof of purchase as a used model with over 7500 miles to be able to be registered in Ca.

My only option is to try and game the system by trying to find a way to try and get it insured in Illinois, and keeping it registered there, but with a Ca driver's license. Not the way to do business, and insurance fraud is not a gamble I wish to endeavor in.

So my really nicely farkled low mileage C14 will be listed for sale after the holidays.

My R1200RS will have to do it all until I can move the C14 and regroup for a long distance bike.       

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Thanks to California, looks like I'll be selling my 2017 C14
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 02:12:56 pm »
Sorry for your hassle J, but I am wondering if you are new to bikes or have not been reading big magazines for a while? It has pretty much been standard, known practice since the 80's that there are CA specific models of all bikes and the others cannot be allowed to pass CA certification. I know it stinks though, we gifted our non CA 2006 Ninja 650R to our Granddaughter in Chico but it met the used/mileage criteria.

Home someone else may have an idea for a loophole. I would trade you straight across for my 2013...:) Both Blue....JK. Fingers crossed, good luck.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Online FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 02:20:36 pm »
Well, anyone thinking of trying to register a non Ca certified emission bike in California, be forewarned.

I bought my 2017 in Illinois, and shipped it here not knowing that I would not be able to register it. In California it must be a Ca CARB certified model, or proof of purchase as a used model with over 7500 miles to be able to be registered in Ca.

My only option is to try and game the system by trying to find a way to try and get it insured in Illinois, and keeping it registered there, but with a Ca driver's license. Not the way to do business, and insurance fraud is not a gamble I wish to endeavor in.
Im Curious if you bought it new from a dealer?

So my really nicely farkled low mileage C14 will be listed for sale after the holidays.

My R1200RS will have to do it all until I can move the C14 and regroup for a long distance bike.       

Offline Rexter

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 02:58:09 pm »
Well, you just need to go ride it for 7500 miles, swap the title to someone out of Cali, and then swap it back to pass the “used” qualifier.

Offline Jacquelyn

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 04:27:23 pm »
Sorry for your hassle J, but I am wondering if you are new to bikes or have not been reading big magazines for a while? It has pretty much been standard, known practice since the 80's that there are CA specific models of all bikes and the others cannot be allowed to pass CA certification. I know it stinks though, we gifted our non CA 2006 Ninja 650R to our Granddaughter in Chico but it met the used/mileage criteria.

Home someone else may have an idea for a loophole. I would trade you straight across for my 2013...:) Both Blue....JK. Fingers crossed, good luck.

Had no idea I was being transferred a year and a half after I bought the C14.

Offline Jacquelyn

• Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 04:29:57 pm »
Well, you just need to go ride it for 7500 miles, swap the title to someone out of Cali, and then swap it back to pass the “used” qualifier.

Thought about that.

A) really do not riding the bike around in fear of being pulled over and getting a ticket for the next 5500 miles.
B) Don't have the logistical resources to bounce the title around.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 05:32:08 pm »

Thought about that.

A) really do not riding the bike around in fear of being pulled over and getting a ticket for the next 5500 miles.

What I would do is sell everything in California and move elsewhere.  :)) I am sure that isn't an option for you though since you just transferred there though.

I understand California wanting to put limits on bikes that do not meet their requirements, purchased in other states, by current residents, but I really think they need to have some provisions for people such as yourself, who move into the state and already own a vehicle.

Hope you find a good solution. 

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 05:36:40 pm »
Wait, you may need to research this some more. It seems there are exceptions for people moving into the state. Was this motorcycle registered to you in the state you lived? If so you should be able to register it in California.

"Does This Apply to Someone Moving to California?
If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered."

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

Online FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 06:40:40 pm »
If you lived out of state or in the state you bought the bike in and the. Moved to California and brought the bike with you , you can register it I. California, if someone at DMV told you different then find another person or supervisor to speak with, military guys do this all the time!

Offline Jacquelyn

• Bicycle
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 07:10:10 pm »
Wait, you may need to research this some more. It seems there are exceptions for people moving into the state. Was this motorcycle registered to you in the state you lived? If so you should be able to register it in California.

"Does This Apply to Someone Moving to California?
If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered."

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

Interesting and thank you. I will need to circle back and ask to speak to a supervisor. The rep I spoke to said it could not be done.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 08:36:08 pm »

Interesting and thank you. I will need to circle back and ask to speak to a supervisor. The rep I spoke to said it could not be done.

Do all the research you can before selling the bike and losing any money. Good luck.

Online Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 11:29:14 pm »
Jackquelyn,
Before you contact them again, you might look up the statutes, print them out, and then go see them again. Telling them is one thing, but if you take them copies of the statutes, and educate them (I know... they should know the laws, but...). With prointouts showing the laws that apply, it would be easier for them to verify them, and the easier you make it for them to do this, the better the odds it will be done properly.

Just curious... are  you military, or civilian?  I ask because I would expect there are few companies that are transferring people into CA; just an impression, no data to back it up.

I hope you get it all resolved!

Jorge

Offline Jacquelyn

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 01:33:58 am »

Thought about that.

What I would do is sell everything in California and move elsewhere.  :)) I am sure that isn't an option for you though since you just transferred there though.

I understand California wanting to put limits on bikes that do not meet their requirements, purchased in other states, by current residents, but I really think they need to have some provisions for people such as yourself, who move into the state and already own a vehicle.

I came from Illinois. Land of the imprisoned elected officials, and over burdened tax payers. I'm 15 minutes from the beaches, and 30 minutes away from the mountains. The riding here is spectacular, as well as the weather, activity, and natural beauty. Oh yeah...virtually no bugs too. Have not washed my bikes since I have been here. Yes, the taxes stink, just as they did in Illinois, but I really enjoy San Diego. 

Offline Jacquelyn

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 01:35:49 am »
Jackquelyn,
Before you contact them again, you might look up the statutes, print them out, and then go see them again. Telling them is one thing, but if you take them copies of the statutes, and educate them (I know... they should know the laws, but...). With prointouts showing the laws that apply, it would be easier for them to verify them, and the easier you make it for them to do this, the better the odds it will be done properly.

Just curious... are  you military, or civilian?  I ask because I would expect there are few companies that are transferring people into CA; just an impression, no data to back it up.

I hope you get it all resolved!

Jorge

Civilian. Lots of corporate transplants here Jorge.

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 02:51:54 am »
Sounds like you may have a chance since you moved from IL, why punish you twice for moving!  Please keep us posted as we may be able to learn and advise from this.

San Diego is nice....
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 03:03:33 am »

Thought about that.

I came from Illinois. Land of the imprisoned elected officials, and over burdened tax payers. I'm 15 minutes from the beaches, and 30 minutes away from the mountains. The riding here is spectacular, as well as the weather, activity, and natural beauty. Oh yeah...virtually no bugs too. Have not washed my bikes since I have been here. Yes, the taxes stink, just as they did in Illinois, but I really enjoy San Diego.

Yes, it is beautiful there. San Diego is a great place. I'm there once in a while on ships, or at least going to one.

Online FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 03:22:06 am »
I researched for months before buying my second Concours. I found great deals out of state of California. But as you know with out it being Ca. Compliant or 7500 miles it say you can’t register it ,except if you are moving here as your residence or you are military , I read all of this on the DMV website, like Jorge said find that info print it out and visit the DMV again! I’m sure you will prevail!

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 03:28:46 am »
I moved to CA in 1986 from canada. They told me I could not register my Toyota van because of this. However it was made to CA standards as all of the vans were. They would not believe me, so I had to get a letter from Toyota Japan HQ to verify this. Which I did. And then still had to pass a smog test.

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 10:36:39 am »
Jacquelyn, you bought the bike when you lived in Illinois and then moved with the bike to CA. Now CA says you can't register the bike there because it's not a CA emissions approved bike, correct? Do you own a car and it did it move with you to CA? If so how did registering the car go? The low level clerk who would rather create obstacles than do their job is a PITA and usually backs down when challenged. Do some research, print the rules out and if they are in your favor go try again. Something doesn't smell right.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2018, 12:41:05 pm »
South Dakota allows for non residents to obtain tags and titles that's how I got a tag and title for my 2 stroke kdx. It's legal as far as I know. Next year when my tag expires I'll get it transferred to an Alabama tag and title

Online FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 12:44:28 pm »

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

Copt&paste from DMV website!

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 02:30:34 pm »
Sounds like you bought it when you lived in Illinois (didn't register it Illinois) then shipped it it Ca.
Did you change your license yrt, I would of grouped it together with license change and other vehicle change but it sounds too late for that.
Do you have relatives (that you trust ) in IL still? I would have them register it and ride it till it hits 7500 then register it.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Online robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 07:02:41 pm »
^^^ +1 ^^^ Either someone at DMV isn't familiar with the rules, or you need to go up higher in the chain. HOpefully you can get it registered and riding again. Lots of great roads to ride in that area. So jealous of those with warm dry climates now! Really thinking we should move south as the PacNW is just being battered with rain and storms.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]