Author Topic: The Concours can roll  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Afm252

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
The Concours can roll
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:53:00 pm »
I just got back from a day a Jason Pridmore's Star Motorcycle School with my "Turtle", as my daughter calls it. I was amazed at what the old girl can do (09 Concours). It could still take far more than what I was asking of her, but man to be able to blast through some of those corners was amazing considering her size. The class was a spectacular blend of rockets, cruisers, a Triple, and the lone Concours, me.

I don't have to speak for her straight away, we all seem to understand, I was able to keep up with the best of them...until the corners (my confidence, not the bike was holding me back). I recommend that anyone who has a bike, take the opportunity to get to a class such as Jason's. I feel significantly more confident it what I can do, but more specifically what this spectacular CONCOURS can do.

Pictures will follow as soon As I get access from the photographer. By the way, I went on a two up ride with Jason on a Gixxer 1000,  :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Couldn't tell if I was dying or shooting a load. I cannot believe what he can do on a bike, much less two-up!
2014 C7 Z51 "Therapy Vette"
2009 C14ABS Black
Gone 2007 CBR600RR
Gone 1998 CBR600F3

Offline none

• Mini Bike
  • Teleskier
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: The Concours can roll
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 03:54:53 pm »
Mrs. Teleskier and I were also fortunate a few years ago to take Reg Pridmores class at Infineon here in California.  Reg is Jason's father in case you were wondering. CLASS is broke into two groups, A and B with time spent between classroom and track time all day. Skill are focused on street riding, not racing but the track time naturally evolved into that with the faster B riders and of course the A group.  At the time we were on VFR800's and had a blast.  Like the poster, the only limit was us, not the bikes but the Mrs. did her knee down for the first time in turn 11 and she mastered the double apex..

Later in the day, she took a two up ride with Reg and she was blown away. She got off all smiles and the first thing she said was how smooth he rode, that she could never feel him up or down shift.

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8442
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:40:34 am »
For those not ready to do the full blown race course, I recommend the Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic,  it really helped me :)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline MidlifeCrisis

• Scooter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 01:43:35 am »
Best thing to do is to find a local track that offers motorcycle track days.  Around here they run about $100 - 150/TD.  You'll be surprised how much you'll learn in just one day of riding your own bike around a closed circuit going over the same corners again and again.
'09 Concours ABS, Candy Diamond Red
'08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Red Lion
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)

Offline mnofpeace

• Road Bike
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 09:12:18 am »
  :motonoises:

i couldnt agree more.  In my 18 years of adult riding I have attended Cali superbike school, CLASS, & STAR schools...Why take more than one school, think about it...that is why college is 2-4 years, and not 2-4 days. 

You can spend money on all of the farkle that you desire.   NOTHING improves your bike's performance more than rider education...!

Glad you had a chance to attend and enjoy the experience.  A coworker of mine and I will be in attendance at CLASS school when they are at Virginia Intl Raceway in July.  But i am not taking my Connie, I am taking my trackbike-SV650.
Patrick L.
Ft. Washington, Md.
09-C14 (street)
07-ZX10r (track)

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:24:14 am »
  :iagree:   Any rider training is good rider training.   :motonoises:
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Afm252

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:43:50 am »
AMEN my friends!!!
2014 C7 Z51 "Therapy Vette"
2009 C14ABS Black
Gone 2007 CBR600RR
Gone 1998 CBR600F3

Offline ProfessorKonk

• Street Cruiser
  • Best. Bike. Ever.
    • Hilson Creative LLC
  • COG#: 9466
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 08:33:04 pm »
+1 on any advanced training.
Just got back from a 2-day California Superbike School (completed levels 3 + 4). Love the idea of whipping the school's bikes around a racetrack with great coaching support. My bike stays home safe and sound!
I was easily one of the 10 slowest guys in the class but I don't care. . . I get better every time I do one of these things. Some of the skills will absolutely make me safer & more confident on the street.
So many farkles, so little time.