Author Topic: The little things  (Read 649 times)

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12507
  • Membership Level: Active
The little things
« on: May 01, 2018, 01:03:58 am »
You know how we tend to get caught up in the big stuff, like new lights or doing the valves or tires or whatever. I swear I get as much or more satisfaction from finding something small and making it better.

This week the case in point is that I have often wondered if my shift lever could not be lowered a bit for easier shifting. I sometimes found I would miss getting all the way up into second if I was a bit lazy with my foot. Like the reach up was a bit high. So I did the simple adjustment a few days ago, lowering the shift lever by maybe 1/4" and damn, what a difference. Now more easily within the range of my foot motion, when I pull up with the same force as before I feel the gears click solidly into gear. And I still have plenty of room for my foot to rest lazily below the lever when not shifting.

Sometimes these little things make such a big difference!

What about you?
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 20,000 and counting

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
Re: The little things
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 04:02:35 am »
It's almost always the "Little things" that make the biggest difference. :)
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 01:51:26 pm »
After reading the last "hole in my radiator" thread, I FINALLY added a much needed zip tie to the to top of my R&G radiator guard to keep it seated properly over the front face of the rad.

Cost me one ziptie, and 10 minutes of swearing.  :))

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 02:18:03 pm »
After reading the last "hole in my radiator" thread, I FINALLY added a much needed zip tie to the to top of my R&G radiator guard to keep it seated properly over the front face of the rad.

gr

Only one ziptie?

I usually go through three before I get one just right.  :(
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 03:13:10 pm »
The reason "little" things seem more satisfying is because we handle the "big" things immediately. The little things gnaw away at you.
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 01:11:58 am »

gr

Only one ziptie?

I usually go through three before I get one just right.  :(

Okay - okay....you GOT me.

It WAS two!  :-[ :D

gr

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 01:58:49 am »
Salish 14.....now spend the $21 on Murphs Bearinged up shifter and really feel the difference. It's not a little thing.https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=463
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 02:02:57 am by Dirtwiz »
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11459
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 08:44:51 am »
 :iagree:
2009 Concours 14 (Francis)
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 09:44:58 am »
"The Little Things" = "The Devil's in the Details" ....... just saying......  ;D
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 09:46:24 am »
Salish 14.....now spend the $21 on Murphs Bearinged up shifter and really feel the difference. It's not a little thing.https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=463

I've ignored this one.....

Please explain.   Interested.

gr

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
  • COG#: 12507
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 01:47:11 pm »
I've read about the bearing shifter and honestly can't imagine it would matter. I removed and lube that shifter every year and it is a super low friction low heat low resistance environment anyway. I mean, the force of my foot so easily overcomes whatever minor friction can exist between two well greased parts...I'm just not seeing the need.

But that automated back massage machine that unfolds from the top case and skillfully works on my shoulders for only $14,000, now that is my a small thing I truly need.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 20,000 and counting

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 02:21:31 pm »
"But that automated back massage machine that unfolds from the top case and skillfully works on my shoulders for only $14,000, now that is my a small thing I truly need."

It's called a WIFE and cost Way more than 14k. :-\
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 02:32:28 pm »
I've read about the bearing shifter and honestly can't imagine it would matter. I removed and lube that shifter every year and it is a super low friction low heat low resistance environment anyway. I mean, the force of my foot so easily overcomes whatever minor friction can exist between two well greased parts...I'm just not seeing the need.

Salish, I finally opted to add the bearing up shifter. Like you, I couldn't imagine it would matter.
After installation, I thought, no difference. Feels the same.
After I got used to it, I rode another Connie, without the kit.
I discovered, yupp there is a difference and I prefer the kit.
It's the little things that make your bike,, "Your Bike"..
Besides, I also can't afford the $14,000 automatic back massager. Have a wife that does a fine job for a lot more $$.

Ride safe, Ted

Oops, I see Deepsea beat me to the wife/cost comment...

14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 10:59:35 pm »
Agreed. Probably getting weird in my old age but I get the best satisfaction out of waxing the bike, changing the oil, making small adjustments. Just finished revalving the forks and shock and oh mama...

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 05:21:53 pm »

I know you added the word ALMOST but I just wanted to say that sometimes the bigger things make a big difference too.

The McCruise and Rider Backrest I installed are the best things that make the biggest difference (for me) in my opinion.
I know not everyone thinks a cruise is needed But there are times when it makes a big difference.
I haven't seen anyone else put a riders backrest on their C14 but I can tell you one ride without mine installed
told me how much it is worth and how much better it makes the ride.  But if someone never had one they wouldn't miss it, I guess.

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 11:10:59 am »
I made it so I can close my gas cap without using the key ... just a little thing but I appreciate it every time I get gas.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 01:38:24 pm »
I hung my helmet off the rear reflector for over 5 years.  A few weeks ago I added a simple to use helmet lock. 

One of the first things I did was get a set of keys made so that I wouldn't have to use the stove pipe or FOB Key ever again.   I took black hot sauce caps and epoxied the keys so they look like knobs on the saddle bags.  It's also great for pulling the key out of the saddle bag to open the gas cap. 
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 04:24:12 pm »
I made a hanger for my extra key that I hang on the little black wire guide between the left side of the tank and the cowling. I just pull it off the hanger for my gas cap or bags. No digging into my pockets for those keys.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Berk

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 05:22:32 pm »

I know you added the word ALMOST but I just wanted to say that sometimes the bigger things make a big difference too.

The McCruise and Rider Backrest I installed are the best things that make the biggest difference (for me) in my opinion.
I know not everyone thinks a cruise is needed But there are times when it makes a big difference.
I haven't seen anyone else put a riders backrest on their C14 but I can tell you one ride without mine installed
told me how much it is worth and how much better it makes the ride.  But if someone never had one they wouldn't miss it, I guess.

I'm interested. Is there a thread or pics of the rider backrest? Did you buy or DIY?