Author Topic: The NEW Traveling Steering Head Bearing Tool Thread!  (Read 774 times)

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
The NEW Traveling Steering Head Bearing Tool Thread!
« on: May 10, 2019, 11:41:39 am »
Rather than continuing to perpetuate the bad juju associated with the OLD traveling steering head bearing tool, that met an untimely demise in the hands of an ex-cop somewhere in the Southwest......

I formally announce the NEW and IMPROVED Traveling Thread1  :beerchug:

The tool was generously lent to me by Cobber, who acquired it from a nameless and faceless COGger, who wanted to keep the spirit alive.
This is a built special tool, not the OEM, but does the job just fine.
The idea is, you get it and then pay shipping onto the next guy. Simple, Right!!?

Plan ahead.  No fair sitting on it for 6 months while you THINK about doing the needed work.  Be courteous to your fellow cheap-skates!  :rotflmao:

And the newest recipient shall be -------- EZ!  .......this is the confirmation of request, and ownership......

pay it forward my friends.   :great:

gr
My Horns have Horns.

Offline JerBear

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12777
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: The NEW Traveling Steering Head Bearing Tool Thread!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:38:43 pm »
 ;)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11785
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 02:10:56 pm »
 :great: Just one more reason $37.00 / year is a no brainer! Thanks fellas...  :beerchug:
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 01:41:46 am »
Is this going with the fork tools?
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 12:49:44 am »
I don't have those....so, no.

Separate Thread???

gr
My Horns have Horns.

Offline Cobber

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10443
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 10:48:59 am »
Great job getting the borrowed tool thread going. Thanks. The fork tools and the steering nut tool should both be in EZ possession now so they could be combined package - if somebody wants or needs them it sounds like.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 07:54:03 pm »
Great job getting the borrowed tool thread going. Thanks. The fork tools and the steering nut tool should both be in EZ possession now so they could be combined package - if somebody wants or needs them it sounds like.
:great: :beerchug:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 09:30:53 am »

^^^Fork tools in possession and expecting socket... I will confirm when received. ^^^

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:07:59 pm by EZ »

Offline Tundra Tom

• Street Cruiser
  • XLR8
  • COG#: 8925
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 02:25:25 pm »
Thank you for carrying on this tradition!
"When my time has come I'd rather be in the Saddle then the Recliner"
1974 Kawasaki H-1 500
1975 Norton 850 Commando
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Yes, I ride all four of them.:)

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 12:16:21 am »
Again, Awesome folks in this club!  :great: :beerchug:

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 11:18:55 am »
Received the steering stem socket yesterday. I cannot imagine someone doing fork seals and NOT wanting to at least check, adjust and slather some grease on stem bearings while yer servicing IMO.   So I believe the next person to request the tools will get the combined "kit". The added weight / size of the stem socket will have very little impact on shipping cost and traveling together will save some time tracking them down for the next guy / gal if they share my thought process.  Yes???

I'll post this on the fork tools thread as well.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 12:46:42 am »
I really hope all you guys wanting this steering stem wrench understand fully, that the only time it's "reallllly" needed, i.e. to apply torque; Is when you replace the steering head bearings... and only then, is any specific "torque" notations come into play.... Look closely at the FSM, just so you understand the difference, between "maintaining" and "replacing" the bearings...  a simple "hook spanner is all that is needed when removing the triple tree/cleaning/libing/re-installing/ tightening back up... do not go thru the mega torque thing noted in the manual for "installation" of new bearings, using thee tool for simple service. That specific torque thing is regarded for "pressing the bearing in place" on a new install.... you only need to use a spanner for subsequent adjustments after that point.

I have to go "dig up" the specific spanner from McMaster-Carr that is used on thee nut for simple stuff, but as when re-installed, the torque is sooooo low, it only takes a couple fingers on that spanner to get it tight.

http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/how-loose-is-too-loose-'no-play'-steering-stem-bearings/msg652101/#msg652101

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/help-specialty-socket-for-setting-torque-on-steering-stem-bearings!/msg643604/#msg643604

I'll post that tool up, and toss it in the common questions sections... gotta find my old post first.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:05:32 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 09:15:12 am »
I really hope all you guys wanting this steering stem wrench understand fully, that the only time it's "reallllly" needed, i.e. to apply torque; Is when you replace the steering head bearings... and only then, is any specific "torque" notations come into play.... Look closely at the FSM, just so you understand the difference, between "maintaining" and "replacing" the bearings...  a simple "hook spanner is all that is needed when removing the triple tree/cleaning/libing/re-installing/ tightening back up... do not go thru the mega torque thing noted in the manual for "installation" of new bearings, using thee tool for simple service. That specific torque thing is regarded for "pressing the bearing in place" on a new install.... you only need to use a spanner for subsequent adjustments after that point.

I have to go "dig up" the specific spanner from McMaster-Carr that is used on thee nut for simple stuff, but as when re-installed, the torque is sooooo low, it only takes a couple fingers on that spanner to get it tight.

http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/how-loose-is-too-loose-'no-play'-steering-stem-bearings/msg652101/#msg652101

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/help-specialty-socket-for-setting-torque-on-steering-stem-bearings!/msg643604/#msg643604

I'll post that tool up, and toss it in the common questions sections... gotta find my old post first.

Understood. I wanted it for new bearing install if guts run out on my lap upon inspection!  :great:

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 09:39:08 am »
Received the steering stem socket yesterday. I cannot imagine someone doing fork seals and NOT wanting to at least check, adjust and slather some grease on stem bearings while yer servicing IMO.   So I believe the next person to request the tools will get the combined "kit". The added weight / size of the stem socket will have very little impact on shipping cost and traveling together will save some time tracking them down for the next guy / gal if they share my thought process.  Yes???

I'll post this on the fork tools thread as well.
This needs to be a sticky so it can be found easily.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 01:00:32 am »
Norm, When you get the chance send them all back to me and I can be the keeper. Then I don't have to hunt them down when someone asks. Great program Club!

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 08:58:40 am »
Norm, When you get the chance send them all back to me and I can be the keeper. Then I don't have to hunt them down when someone asks. Great program Club!

PM incoming..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 09:26:39 pm »

very wise choice, and I think you are on the right track... :great: :great: :great: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...