Author Topic: The Proper Way of Shitfting a C14  (Read 4850 times)

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10454
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
The Proper Way of Shitfting a C14
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:50:12 pm »
According to the manual (p.145) the C14 should be shifted to 2nd gear at 19mph; to 3rd at 15mph; to 4th at 35; 5th at 45....

When I shift my new Connie the shifter seems to pass through a silent grind before engaging. Is that normal? I also noted that when I shift at low speeds close to the recommended on the owner manual it seems to shift smoother...though I am not really sure. I am in the experimental stages

In my old school mentality I think that combustion engines shift the smoothest when the cranckshaft and the driveshaft are lined up at a "friendly" shifting rpm....tis the reason why one can shift 18 wheeler tractors without pressing the clutch.

I am still struggling with the optimum rpm for when to shift to the next gear...What says you?
I am voting for anyone who wasn't there during the government shut-down.

Offline Seany

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10030
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: The Proper Way of Shitfting a C14
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 04:46:53 pm »
Hello,

I struggled with this for a couple thousand kms (yeah I'm a slow learner) and for me on a 2012 shifting at 4000/rpm or close results in a smooth drama free shift. I use this primarily for city driving, on the highway I regularly have the tach in the loftier reaches.

Eliminating any play in your throttle helps greatly.

Sean

Offline Ocean

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10211
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 04:53:31 pm »
I posted a question about this also....it's so bizarre that there must be a legal reason Kawa recommends these.....just for fun I tried to ride per these recommendations......it was hilarious to be shifting so many times at such low speeds!........ :D

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 05:48:56 pm »
4K rpm works well for me also.
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Stewart

• Road Bike
  • Aussie living in the USA
  • COG#: 9380
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 06:20:24 pm »
I shift all over the place depending on the conditions and riding style...sometimes early cause I'm cruising and sometimes very late at red line cause I love the acceleration.

RPM's (speed equivlant) has nothing to do with a clean shift, it's all clutch & throttle, speed on shifter and making sure you match engine to RPM speed as close as possible.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Stlheadake

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9142
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:36:49 pm »
IF I am sitting next to a HOT ROD Mustang (for some reason they are prevalent here..) I hit second gear at about 35 degrees...  Sometimes if I am quick I can hold 2nd gear to about say 30 degrees  before riding it out.   Then I hit 3rd at about 90!  But then again that depends on traffic, and the next light  :) 

Generally speaking, I shift where it feels right.  Sometimes faster sometimes slower.  Really I think that the WORST thing you can do is shift and ride the same way every day.  You need the variability in RPMs to really make her work right!

Once you get that first 600 miles out of the way, ride it like you stole it! 

Offline jkenny

• Moped
  • COG#: 10334
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:23:15 am »
Talk about play in the throttle, I notice mine has a bit! How much is supposed to be there. I'm talking about that little bit of slack before the engine starts to rev.
Wow is this thing fast!!!
2012 Black C14 aka "14"

Offline Jay

• Scooter
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 01:03:42 am »
For most "get around" riding I shift between 3 & 4K. It seems to mesh the best and keeps things tame, sound-wise.

For more "spirited" riding, upwards of 8 to 9K (this is where the CS One really come alive!) :)
And this is where all fuel economy is shot to hell.

In either case, shifting is based upon feel/sound/conditions, not by looking at the tach.
Keep your eyes on the fools trying to kill you when you're not trying to kill yourself!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:06:10 am by J in CA »
- 2011 C14, Black
- 1979 KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 01:07:27 am »
Depends for me.  If I'm in conserve fuel around town I shift at low RPM.

If I'm hanging with my knee drag-uh sportbike crowd in the mountains and trying to keep up I shift at red line or accidentally bounce off the rev limiter.

This thread fascinates me
KiPass!

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 01:08:39 am »

- probably its just me , but find it really hard to dail in smooth shifts with the C14  , esp when going up the box at a fast pace.

- are shaft driven bikes (this C14 is my first shafty) inherently more jerky when shifting ?

Offline Raymond

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8125
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 01:57:58 am »
I find that my shifts are smoother at higher RPMs. I also have noticed that my least smooth shifts occur in the 1 to 2 shifts. What does help is loading the lever prior to the shift on the up shifts. 
RayK                                                                 COG# 8125  CDA# 0273  '08 ZG 1400

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 02:02:31 am »
The shift points in the manual are for max fuel economy I think and have no basis in the real world..

I shift by feel,  when it feels like it's too high an RPM I shift....  was getting 46mpg on my ride today :) so I must be doing SOMETHING right :)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 02:17:08 am »
The shift points in the manual are for max fuel economy I think and have no basis in the real world..

I shift by feel,  when it feels like it's too high an RPM I shift....  was getting 46mpg on my ride today :) so I must be doing SOMETHING right :)

What RPM do your eyes see on the tack, when your 'feel' tells you to shift to the next gear?

Offline DGOLD

• Scooter
  • 1995 c10, 2001 c10, 2010 c14
  • COG#: 10054
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 03:03:00 am »
I did notice that my shifting just keeps getting smoother the more I ride my 2010. It did help to get rid of the throttle play and having the sweet spot on the clutch dialed in.

Offline Jim

• Scooter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 03:30:53 pm »
I never really paid any attention to the recommended shift points per the manual, I'm usually shifting anywhere between 3500 and 10 grand on the tach.  :o :motonoises:

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 03:40:54 pm »

What RPM do your eyes see on the tack, when your 'feel' tells you to shift to the next gear?

No idea, I'm not usually looking at the tach
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Grumpy Goat

• Road Bike
  • IBA 57952
    • The Grumpy Goat blog
  • COG#: 8923
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 03:45:00 pm »
5k-ish. Less if I'm burbling around town and rather more if I'm caning it.
]}:-{>

2008 Kawasaki 1400GTR;  1986 Kawasaki 1000GTR;  1985 Kawasaki GPz900R;  1984 Kawasaki GT750;  1982 Suzuki GS650GT;  1981 Honda CX500;  1979 Kawasaki Z400;  1978 Kawasaki Z200

Offline JeffP

• Jeff In NC
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10856
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 06:45:01 pm »

- probably its just me , but find it really hard to dail in smooth shifts with the C14  , esp when going up the box at a fast pace.

- are shaft driven bikes (this C14 is my first shafty) inherently more jerky when shifting ?

This is also my first shaft drive bike. I found that barely letting off the throttle when pulling in the clutch and performing the shift results in smooth transition to the next gear (when shifting up). If I close the throttle all the way after the clutch is in, it results in a very jerky shift. She's pretty picky about engine RPM when shifting. Can't be lazy with a passenger or we're bangin helmets!  >:(
2008 Neutron Silver C14
2007 Honda CRF250R

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 06:57:02 pm »
Bike has so much torque you can shift at just about any rpm. 2nd and 3rd gear get a pretty good work out when I ride. I shift around 4500 in those gears. I would have to check but 5500 in 4th must be around 80 mph.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 07:22:54 pm »
When  I shift by feel, and I am driving at normal pace in city-street (I am not gunning it)  I hear the reving take a different pitch-sort-of, then it seems to shift the smoothest.

I want to say that I am shifting at the manual's  recommended speeds for kilometers instead of miles per hour. I wonder if those numbnuts that write the manual did not put the kilometer/miles on the wrong column of the table (p.145)...maybe too much saki the day before  :beerchug:...too much raw fish?...white rice?....

Well! shifting a 1400 engine with a 6 speeder tranny at 9/15/21...makes about as much sense as a one legged man at a butt kicking contest.

Offline jkenny

• Moped
  • COG#: 10334
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 07:46:23 pm »
makes about as much sense as a one legged man at a butt kicking contest.
[/quote] That would be entertaining!  :popcorn:
Wow is this thing fast!!!
2012 Black C14 aka "14"

Offline Bob

• Tricycle
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 11:17:35 pm »
I find the gearbox to be great for max acceleration using all gears.  Around town I try to maintain 2000 RPM but will let it drop to 1500 under very little load.  I also routinely skip 2nd, 4th & 5th or 6th around town providing better MPG.  Three gears works fine most of the time. 

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10361
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 05:59:44 pm »
I've had two bikes in the recent past (five years or so) and countless cars with manual transmissions going back to my first dealer-ordered new car in 1982.  I'm also the kind of guy who reads the owner's manual from cover to cover with each purchase.  I can say without a doubt that all those vehicles have had a similar short-shift table in the owner's manual, including the 2007 Suzuki Bandit I just sold, and my Corvette.  The first time I read the Bandit manual, I was incredulous at the recommended low-RPM shift points.  That bike was VERY unhappy shifting at anything lower than about 4000 RPM.  Shift above that, and she went like stink.  Below that, she had a definite flat spot in the upper gears (probably fuel mapping) and a general feel of "I'm tired, let's go home." 

With my Connie (2010), I also noticed the herky-jerky shifting that a couple other posters have mentioned.  When I first got the bike from the original owner (1400 miles) I was very deliberate (read: slow) with the shifting process.  It was so mechanical and rough that I thought something must be wrong with the bike.  One day, out of sheer frustration, I just gunned the he** out of her and barely backed out of the gas while just flicking the clutch lever, and it was smooth as a hot knife through butter.  I've put about 450 miles on her that way now.  I'm still getting plenty of clutch lever, but I'm doing the whole thing a lot quicker.  No more herky jerky driveline snatch, no more head snap.  I doubt I'm hurting anything.  At least, I hope I'm not.

As for what specific RPM I shift at, that all depends on the circumstances.  If I'm tired of following the blue-hair in the Buick, then I click down a gear or two and roll on it.  Or I don't click down, and I roll on it.  Either way, I'm not staring at the tach.  The same applies to accelerating away from a light.  30-plus years of shifting for myself have given me the ability to feel and hear my shift points.  Since I don't do any racing, the tach is now mostly decoration to me.  I do, however, miss the digital speedo the Bandit had.  I find the analog Connie speedo to be very busy and a bit difficult to read without more than a simple glance.  Oh well...

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 06:28:24 pm »
If there is anyone out there who perceives a shifting point of view left unsaid in this comprehensive archive of "shift-philosophies" please don't  be shy and documented it....  :motonoises:

It is clear there are as many 'shifting-ways' as there are monkeys in the trees.

It seems to me, 600 miles later, this C14 shifts where ever you like, and one is to develop that 'quick-draw' feel of when to pop the next surge of throttle to shift smoothly into the next torque.

Man! I am in on a super great bike  :)  I can honestly say it is the favorite/best bike I ever owned...

:popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:39:46 pm by nando »

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 09:57:15 pm »
I never really paid any attention to the recommended shift points per the manual, I'm usually shifting anywhere between 3500 and 10 grand on the tach.  :o :motonoises:

Wait! There is a tach on these Fat Ninjas? Hmmmm, I didn't notice. I guess I'll have to look more carefully next time I get on the 2012.   :rotflmao: