Author Topic: The trip that only started  (Read 17539 times)

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: The trip that only started
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2017, 01:41:30 am »
Dealer in Durango put on new tires and rear pads for $360. The pads were free - not sure i needed them - all good.

Rode the KLR bc my C14 lost a gear a few days before departing Knoxville. '00 KLR had 161k when i left home! C14 was $2200 to repair.

Not apples to apples - i didnt't have the off road plans they do. Although i was off pavement plenty - nothing like these guys have planned.

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2017, 02:18:09 am »
For those that don't know,
I had a bike wreck in '12 that resulted in a fractured sacrum and a broken tibia at the ankle joint, (screwed back together and mostly works as designed).
The fractured sacrum and resulting nerve issues make any serious attempt at major mileage on a 690 thumper in one day pretty much impossible. It took a 2k suspension and a 500$ seat and a lot of "toughening up" to get to a 600+ mile day on my C14. So riding to Denver from here (about 1800 miles) would be a 4 day affair EACH way. Thats 800.00 in hotels, 600.00 in tires, plus 8 days food and 8 days lost slabbing it to Denver asking myself why must I punish myself so?  Factor all that in and it is cheaper and much more time conscientious to fly and ride. We want to ride the UT and CO BDR not Kansas and Missouri dirt farm.
Now the second part. Dave and I are both not gonna be even close to comfortable in coach since we are "larger than average". So we ponied up for first class. Personal choice and it's our friggin money. Hopefully we will be using the credit from only flying one way last time to further offset our flight cost this time. We will see in a few days when we argue with the airline about it. 

So to recap.
Rent/fuel a truck? 1300 plus each way. 2600$  Fly? @1000 each, round trip. (probably half paid already!)
+4 days or more lost driving/hotels. Arriving exhausted and cranky, and VERY SORE. Much like our ride home last time.
Airline?  @6 hours. Arrive ready to go riding with no stress, probably have a nice nap after a drink on the plane. Completely relaxed but excited.
Ship the bikes once again. @2500 for both, round trip, INSURED, in a licensed and registered Motor carrier.  No stress and no fuel or wear and tear on bike or tires. Was supposed to be 1600.00 last time round trip but we know how that turned out.
everything after that is same as last time as we planned for.
Basically, if we get the credit applied from last years flight, (most likely we will), this year will end up about equal or possibly cheaper to fly and ride than driving them out ourselves!
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2017, 03:34:58 am »
lol you had me convinced at the type of tires your  using, but all the extras make a lot of sense in your choice, we aint getting younger and dont heal up overnight anymore.  At the end of the day, your still getting in your ride and your destination, as I said before I hope its epic and you get stuck next to a hottie with big boobs and low top while your in first class!

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2017, 03:58:46 am »
Hi,
        Matt, being 6' 7" tall..... :(

And having flown MILLIONS of miles in my job working around the World. :truce:

I'm not going to say on a public forum, some of the things I've done.... :-X

When forced to fly "coach" class....to get an Exit Row seat!!!! ;D ;D ;D >:D >:D >:D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline The Wizard

• Been riding since I was 9 yrs.old.getting to be old fart.
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 'match need with source(used parts)'
    • have a need find a source/parts are parts
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11328
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2017, 05:45:51 am »
You are correct Matt its your friggin money that's being spent now.... and no one should question it.
1964 Honda 55,1971 Honda CL 100,numerous Honda 350 twins,1971 Honda CL 450,1974 Honda CB 750(stolen),1971 Moto Guzzi Ambasador/Velorex sidecar,1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1976 Honda Goldwing (fully dressed)1973 Honda CB 450,1982 Yamaha Virago 750
1977 BMW R100/7(full dress) later Velorex sidecar mounted,1978 Yamaha XS750,1987 BMW K100RS
1996 Honda shadow 1100 ace,2000 Kawasaki Concours,1998,99,98,98+88,90+99 Concours for resurrection           CDA#540

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2017, 10:04:12 am »
How many hotel/motel beds are kind to a 6'4" frame? And allow you to jump up refreshed, completely healed from the daily aches and pains and that's without driving a 400 lb. beast all day. Think Matt will have enough trouble sleeping outdoors for 2 weeks without having to worry about driving the 2000 miles back  :))

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2017, 11:57:39 am »
I hope y'all have a GREAT trip!  :great:  Be advised that CO has received 150% of their "normal" snowfall so the high passes make take more time to be clear enough to cross.

My BIL and I are planning to ride the COBDR sometime this summer. We've got one of his sons driving a 4WD as a "sag wagon" to haul all our freight (camping gear, fuel, spare parts, water, food, broken bikes, broken riders, etc.) and have allowed 14 days to do the round  trip from Kansas City.  Should be EPIC!
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2017, 12:07:25 pm »
Jim,
I think by August the snow will have melted enough!  We are doing the 11th oil the 30th this year. No rushing and lots of scenery time. Vacations are supposed to be relaxing, NOT taxing.

Matt

Offline jdegraff

• Moped
  • COG#: 11713
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2017, 01:24:19 pm »
tires is a good reason to ship/trailer them, did not think of that.

Lol but cant leave some of the comments alone, those bike are more than capable of that distance. CC is not a key factor, I have done Albuquerque to Denver and back in one day on a GSRX 600, and recently did jackson MS to Stafford VA in one shot on my 700 CC nighthawk ,that a 997 mile day. Not everybody will do those sort of trips but dont blame the bike.

I cant wait to see pics and hear the tales of this trip, sure sounds like yall deserve a good one this time and I hope it is epic in the best way.

You do realize of course the two bikes you mentioned are purpose built multi cylinder street bikes right? My KTM is an Off-Road only single that I converted to dual sport. I guess I could re-gear it and swap the tires but then the hard board-like seat would likely leave me crippled.

I have done tons of long rides on the Connie. 7k miles in 13 days a few years ago (If you think that's easy I challenge you to try) but riding long distance on a dirt bike with knobbies and low gears is stupid and will likely leave you on the side of the road. If someone had a KLR maybe but that bike is tons different than what I plan to ride.

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2017, 01:35:39 pm »

I have done tons of long rides on the Connie. 7k miles in 13 days a few years ago (If you think that's easy I challenge you to try)

Challenge accepted!  :great:

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2017, 01:41:03 pm »
tires is a good reason to ship/trailer them, did not think of that.

Lol but cant leave some of the comments alone, those bike are more than capable of that distance. CC is not a key factor, I have done Albuquerque to Denver and back in one day on a GSRX 600, and recently did jackson MS to Stafford VA in one shot on my 700 CC nighthawk ,that a 997 mile day. Not everybody will do those sort of trips but dont blame the bike.

I cant wait to see pics and hear the tales of this trip, sure sounds like yall deserve a good one this time and I hope it is epic in the best way.

You do realize of course the two bikes you mentioned are purpose built multi cylinder street bikes right? My KTM is an Off-Road only single that I converted to dual sport. I guess I could re-gear it and swap the tires but then the hard board-like seat would likely leave me crippled.

I have done tons of long rides on the Connie. 7k miles in 13 days a few years ago (If you think that's easy I challenge you to try) but riding long distance on a dirt bike with knobbies and low gears is stupid and will likely leave you on the side of the road. If someone had a KLR maybe but that bike is tons different than what I plan to ride.

Hope I am not coming across as a "better than you" asshat, I was thinking you had the adventure bikes. Not trying to down play riding abilities or bikes, just wanna clear the air on that. Not against yall at all, hope you have a blast!

Offline jdegraff

• Moped
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2017, 01:44:49 pm »
 :) Ya I shouldn't be sidetracking Matt's thread. It's all in good nature.
I am going to get my maps today and work on my route.

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2017, 02:07:16 pm »
I would have never ridden the distances i have without threads like this. Well, COG in general.

Now im addicted and track days are next. After that - probably something like this trip.

Its all an exchsnge of ideas and stories and hope i didn't come off wrong either - so many ways to skin this cat and I want to  try them all!

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2017, 02:25:45 pm »
Given the time, money, rear end fortitude, and desire I would definitely ride to a off-road adventure like this. Since I lack the time, rear end fortitude, and desire, I will fly and ride!   :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
I am gonna have a blast!
Matt

Offline backoutonthehighway

• Road Bike
  • ATGMOTT/MOTGAOTT
    • Back Out On The Highway
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9952
« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2017, 01:32:28 am »
Dang - missed this, so I just contributed. Cheers and have a safe ride!

http://gofundme.com/2kru94ss
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14
2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Clasic
2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #190 on: June 04, 2017, 10:25:59 am »
Is this what you hope to find Matt? If so, not saying you are out of shape but better head for the gym. Day after day; standing, absorbing, absorbing, absorbing and more absorbing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n76sC4YEf8o

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #191 on: June 14, 2017, 01:00:26 am »
Diz,
Hopefully there will be at least a few more challenging sections to go along with that stuff.
Matt

Offline jdegraff

• Moped
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2017, 12:28:16 pm »
Hey Matt.. You guys still headed to Colorado this month? Two of us will be leaving Trinidad on the 20th. We will ride to MOAB and back on the TAT. Been looking forward to this for a year. Finally have everything sorted.

I will be on a 525 KTM and the other guy on a CRF450