Author Topic: The trip that only started  (Read 17629 times)

Offline notsluggo

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10187
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: The trip that only started
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 03:04:50 pm »
I'll provide a bit of an update since Matt and Dave are still on the road.
They took my truck out to Goodland, KS and discovered the bikes to be in bad shape.  Matt's may be recoverable - but only with major work.  Dave's is a total loss.  The good news is/was that most of their camping / traveling gear survived exiting a trailer sideways at 80mph on I-70.
They went back to the Denver area and rented a Penske van and went back to Goodland to pick up the bikes.
As of last night, they had made it back to West Vir and were tired.
Really sucks the big one.
Ride safe(r).
- notsluggo
2011 Concours 14 - The Silver Bullet!
2014 KLR650 - Kelly
Parker, CO

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 08:01:49 pm »
^^^what the hell? Why was anyone traveling at 80mph with the responsibility of someone else's property? Not cool at all....obviously negligence should be easily proved and compensation quickly reached. Hopefully they both get new, replacement bikes by this time next month. I wonder if they might be able to buy the salvaged bikes, with A bit of Matts magic they'll both have backup buddy bikes- turning lemons into lemonade!
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 08:21:32 pm »
Here's the latest info I have;

We arrived home this afternoon with the bikes and the Penske Truck. Talked to the tow company and they have not received any further communication from the driver of the truck. No insurance information has been forthcoming. The shipping company's Facebook page has gone MIA. There is no listing of a DOT/MC number for the company.   Maybe you can guess where this is heading from here?

Due to some clerical b******* my insurance company CANCELLED my insurance last month and neglected to tell me about it. They told me they were going to send me a credit for almost 400.00 though.  >:(    Dave A is filing a claim through his insurance and will probably be made almost whole minus a deductible payment. Me, OTOH, looks like I am out almost 15K.  All in all not a great week. I am trying my best to think positive here but having an exceptionally difficult time given the new information.
Totally bummed..........

Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 09:12:21 pm »
Due to some clerical b******* my insurance company CANCELLED my insurance last month and neglected to tell me about it. They told me they were going to send me a credit for almost 400.00 though.  >:(    Dave A is filing a claim through his insurance and will probably be made almost whole minus a deductible payment. Me, OTOH, looks like I am out almost 15K.  All in all not a great week. I am trying my best to think positive here but having an exceptionally difficult time given the new information.
Totally bummed..........

Matt

In many states, an insurance policy can't be cancelled without proper notice.  You may want to check with your state's dept. of insurance for details on the laws that apply there.  Generally, however, they must provide notice that the policy is being cancelled and then the cancellation date is.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Classvino

• Lifelong Kawi Rider
  • Road Bike
  • Smells wrong... Oh, it's a 4-stroke...
  • COG#: 11233
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 09:23:45 pm »
In many states, an insurance policy can't be cancelled without proper notice.  You may want to check with your state's dept. of insurance for details on the laws that apply there.  Generally, however, they must provide notice that the policy is being cancelled and then the cancellation date is.

Proper notice around here (we, 20 years ago anyway) used to be a registered letter you signed for.  Sent, of course, in an unmarked envelope so that you didn't know what you were signing for until after you signed for it.  DAMHIK.

Jamie

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 09:26:40 pm »
Your insurance has no bearing on destruction of a bike and goods, hauled by a common carrier, on us roads, by a legitimately insured and bonded trucking service.. you were shipping goods... plain and simple, you have no liability whatsoever on the outcome of the act of destruction tyghat occurred.. its like you sent a diamond ring with an insured courier, or even more simple, like you rode a greyhound bus, flew in an airplane, or rode a train... its cargo that is destroyed... coupled with the fact t

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 09:50:30 pm »
Your insurance has no bearing on destruction of a bike and goods, hauled by a common carrier, on us roads, by a legitimately insured and bonded trucking service.. you were shipping goods... plain and simple, you have no liability whatsoever on the outcome of the act of destruction tyghat occurred.. its like you sent a diamond ring with an insured courier, or even more simple, like you rode a greyhound bus, flew in an airplane, or rode a train... its cargo that is destroyed... coupled with the fact t

MOB,
I wish it was that simple. After some researching I have found out that Uship.com has a ( MULTIPLE YEARS), long history of using and recommending shipping companies that are far from legit. I have been unable to find a DOT listing for the one I used so it is a safe bet that there is NO INSURANCE POLICY in effect covering this person/company. Therefore I am S O L.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2016, 11:27:24 pm »
I think all states are different, but in GA, there's a 30 day grace period after cancellation, presumably to allow you to get new insurance. Good luck. That just sux.
2014 C-14

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 12:21:07 am »
I'll provide a bit of an update since Matt and Dave are still on the road.
They took my truck out to Goodland, KS and discovered the bikes to be in bad shape.  Matt's may be recoverable - but only with major work.  Dave's is a total loss.  The good news is/was that most of their camping / traveling gear survived exiting a trailer sideways at 80mph on I-70.
They went back to the Denver area and rented a Penske van and went back to Goodland to pick up the bikes.
As of last night, they had made it back to West Vir and were tired.
Really sucks the big one.
Good on ya for pitching in Bill. Membership and past meet up's does have it's privileges.  :great: :beerchug: Hope all ends well Matt.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 We gonna dance! Danke Schoen

Offline claytonsdad

• Too "Cripple to Ride", Too "Crazy to Care"
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 01:03:28 am »
Matt,
I had a similar experience with u-ship.  Was told my bike would be trailered down to my location.  It arrived in the back of a pickup truck.  The driver had no clue how he was going to unload it once he got here.  He backed against the side of a hill and destroyed one of my lower panels trying to unload it, then had the nerve to ask for the payment code.  I told him I would gladly give him the code after receiving all of his insurance information. That was 2 years ago.  Despite harassment from both the shipper and U-Ship, I have yet to provide the code, nor have I been provided any insurance info.  Repairs were completed on my dime.  While I was really hacked off at how they shipped my bike, I bet I wasn't nearly as mad as the guy in Texas who was waiting on the new Camaro SS that was loaded on the tandem axle utility trailer behind the pickup!

Moral of the story, guys, learn from our experiences.  If you ever consider u-ship, require valid DOT and insurance information from the actual carrier prior to agreeing to their "contract".
2003 - The Wild Child
1052 by SiSF w/ Power Cams, ZZR Front End, 17" Wheels, Cruise Control

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 01:31:06 am »
Oh, Matt... so sorry to hear this has happened to you guys.

I'll have my fingers crossed that things will work out ok for ya, even though I know
it's looking pretty bad right now.

What caused the wreck?
Was the speed a factor?

I've driven that pike many times, and IIRC, I believe 70's the speed limit, right?
(Probably should've been less, pulling a trailer, too.)

I sure hope you get some good news soon about this.
Hang in there, bro.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 01:31:56 am »
Matt - how does u-ship make money? Do you pay them a fee, or does the TSP pay a fee for the referral? If the shipping company pays them, then they should have some responsibility for putting you in contact with the shipper, despite what it says in u-ships ToS.
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2016, 10:05:07 am »
I rarely tell someone to find a lawyer but 15k is too much to swallow. You may need one that is local to the scene of the crash and in the end pay a fee to find out there is nothing to recover from. And you may need one that is local to you to go after the insurance company. Several times I felt an attorney made things worse but still managed to collect for an my unsatisfactory outcome. I hate it when I get asked that question from "Dirty Harry" "how lucky do you feel..." Best of luck to you Matt

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2016, 03:36:22 pm »
Here's the latest info I have;

We arrived home this afternoon with the bikes and the Penske Truck. Talked to the tow company and they have not received any further communication from the driver of the truck. No insurance information has been forthcoming. The shipping company's Facebook page has gone MIA. There is no listing of a DOT/MC number for the company.   Maybe you can guess where this is heading from here?

Totally bummed..........

Matt

Really sorry this happened to you - you did nothing wrong and lost a bike?

I hope you photographed the heck out of the bikes when you went to pick them up.

I have to wonder if there is a law about an insurance company cancelling a policy without tell the insured person?
Sounds like they are just trying to get out of paying you.  I would research that and read over your policy in detail to see
if there is a provision to drop a member without notice. 

If they really cancelled you and Neglected to tell you then you - were breaking the law riding without insurance.
So they caused you to break the law?  Sounds like they are the lawbreakers here.  Search online and see if this is a common
practice with that company or insurance companies in general.  Don't give up or in.  Don't cash the check they send and notice
the date on it. 

I'm not keen on lawyers either - but if you can get a free consultation to see if they can help you - well why not?

Good luck on whatever happens.  Keep us posted, please.   :great:

Offline notsluggo

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10187
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2016, 05:31:56 pm »
What caused the wreck?

The truck driver (transporting six bikes on an open trailer) clipped a Volvo semi during a pass attempt.  A scant 2.2 miles from Colorado's eastern border.

Was the speed a factor?

Nothing was noted in the State Patrol report.

I've driven that pike many times, and IIRC, I believe 70's the speed limit, right?

75 now.  Makes it easier for all those Kansas based 'customers' to get to/from Colorado faster!
Ride safe(r).
- notsluggo
2011 Concours 14 - The Silver Bullet!
2014 KLR650 - Kelly
Parker, CO

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2016, 08:01:55 pm »
75 in and 45 out....  :rotflmao:

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2016, 09:37:13 pm »
What caused the wreck?

The truck driver (transporting six bikes on an open trailer) clipped a Volvo semi during a pass attempt.  A scant 2.2 miles from Colorado's eastern border.

Was the speed a factor?

75 now.  Makes it easier for all those Kansas based 'customers' to get to/from Colorado faster!

I was just in the area for a Reunion. Got back just last night. I wish I could have helped in some way. On the Police Report, the drivers name, vehicle license plate and registered owner of the vehicle & addresses should be listed. If there was insurance, it should be listed on the report as well but it sounds like there was none. If you want the name of a good attorney, I could ask a distant cousin who lives in Goodland. We don't communicate much other than a Hi how's it going. But he does own a business there.

The accident would have had to have been in Sherman County. Goodland is the county seat. 

I don't know how to do it but if a pay pal account or something similar was set up and a $10.00 donation from the membership including the Forum subscribers, this could be taken care of rather quickly.....or so I would think.

I don't understand how a guy pulling a trailer could clip a semi while passing on the great 4 lane hi way I 70 is right there at the KS/CO border. The only thing I can think of would be inattention. Probably sleepy.

What a way to spend vacation days. Tim

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:44:30 pm by TimR »
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2016, 11:43:13 pm »
I don't know how to do it but if a pay pal account or something similar was set up and a $10.00 donation from the membership including the Forum subscribers, this could be taken care of rather quickly.....or so I would think.

OK Matt's advice on this forum has been worth way more than $10 for me Make it happen; sign me up!

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2016, 11:56:56 pm »

OK Matt's advice on this forum has been worth way more than $10 for me Make it happen; sign me up!
Good idea. Count me in too.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2016, 12:27:09 am »
I like what I'm seeing but I can't set an account up...Maybe someone who has done such a thing could step up.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Fisher

• Not Dead Yet!
  • Tricycle
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2016, 12:46:01 am »
:beerchug: Great idea sign me up also! :beerchug:

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2016, 12:57:34 am »
Set up a go fund account,I will donate also.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2016, 01:17:17 am »
Hi,
        Well....We are a "Club"! ;D

Hopefully better than just a "Forum"! :(

I'm in of course! :great:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2016, 10:09:34 am »
What caused the wreck?

Was the speed a factor?

Thanks for the info!

What a drag! Sure hate hearing this.

If a "Go Fund Me" account gets set up, count me in.
I think that's a great idea!
Bob
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610