Author Topic: The trip that only started  (Read 17628 times)

Offline turbo-max

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10445
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: The trip that only started
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2016, 01:28:13 am »
im down to donate to the cause as well!
turbo lag is a courteous head start!    ~Jeff H
99 c-10 "the purple monster"
01 c-10 undergoing turbofacation     
03 c-10 some mods...alot of miles
several other c-10's in pieces!

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 01:31:08 pm »
Count me in.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2016, 01:53:06 pm »
Wow Wth the Fug,, i thought Me and Silverconnierider have a had a bad year.
People suck , however, there has to be some paper trail that you may find, on sites like these, there is a large area of reach to grab some fuggin Scumbag,, By his Balz,,
What happened to the bike,,, is it repairable at all?
So sorry to hear this,,
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline harrykaw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9067
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2016, 02:11:50 pm »
I'm in for a donation. :great:
COG # 9067
01 Sonic Blue C10, 08 Pearl White Gold Wing
12 Candy Arabian Red C14, 13 Metallic Nocturne Blue C14

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2016, 02:16:23 pm »
Update:
Trailered the remains to B and E Motorsports in Easton, Md. with Dave A yesterday. He was drooling on his new KTM 1290SA, ( he already put a down payment on it and will take delivery on Saturday so we can still make the RWTW), while I was waiting to have a chat with Bob. Bob is optimistic that the bike may be able to be saved but it is going to take some serious checking and inspection to be sure. I left the 690 in his capable hands and will have to wait about ten days or so to get the final word. He has a lot going on and is going away for all next week so I will probably hear something the following week about the repairability of my 690. If the front forks survived then it will probably be a go to save her. My Rumbux crash bars took one hell of a hit and it shows but they protected everything they were designed to. Well worth the hefty 800.00 price tag. I believe I can even straighten the bent one and get them powder coated again and be fine provided the bike is savable. 
      I really appreciate the offers of help. COG has been a fantastic force in my life over the last few years and I count myself lucky to have you all. I hope to see many of you in a few weeks in Suches.
      This has been pretty tough for me the last week and that doesn't even include the medieval torture we endured driving that Penske truck here from Boulder Co. It is going to be one very expensive and heartbreaking lesson learned regardless of how it turns out in the end. At least we made the right choice in bringing the bikes home while we were out there instead of having to go back out there again to get them.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2016, 07:35:31 pm »
If the bikes fell off a trailer in Western KS how did they end up in Boulder? Any up date on the location of the driver?

here's hoping your girl can be fixed. Still think you should set up a Fund Me or something or give out a bank account we can deposit some peso's into.

I had a 1974 Kawa Z1A 900 stolen back in 75 out of Jacksonville, FL and it sucked big time. The bike was parked and I let insurance expire. Won't do that one again.  I loved that bike. The one I have now is just not the same.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2016, 09:43:03 pm »
Clarification,

The bikes were involved in a highway accident about 2 miles east of the Colorado state line. In Kansas.  They were taken, along with all the wreckage, to McBee's wrecker in Goodland Kansas. Dave A and Myself flew in to Denver as our trip was supposed to originate there at Bill S' place. ( He was supposed to receive the bikes on Thursday afternoon ) He flew out of Denver the same day we flew in and he graciously allowed us the use of his truck. After seeing the bikes in Ks and driving back to Denver, (originally thinking fly home), we decided that we would be better served if we had the bikes in our possession when it came time to deal with insurance companies. Also we would be able to remove items they would not cover from the bikes.  We reserved a Penske truck on Fri 12th, for a sat morning pick up in Parker, Co where Bill lives, convenient right? Turns out there were no 10 ft trucks available in Denver, next closest pick-up spot was Boulder, that and a 20% discount for our trouble and we were on our way to Boulder.  Got the truck and dropped off Bill S' truck at his house, (with a full tank of gas of course), and headed back to Kansas.  Picked up the bikes after paying 370.00 for "fees" and headed homeward.
Matt

Go Fund Me page is now up.    gofundme.com/2kru94ss
Never saw myself doing something like this though. I do truly appreciate any and all help that comes. I set the bar at 4500.00 as that is about the max I would be willing to invest in repairing this bike.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:00:54 pm by mattchewn »

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2016, 10:54:49 pm »
Any pics of the broken babies?

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2016, 12:09:59 am »
Matt your good man and I hope you can make something good
out of this.

Offline kman311

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2016, 12:36:12 am »
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Matt. Hopefully someones insurance will cover some or all of the damages. After my crash on the Dalton Highway in June I almost used U-Ship to send my 1290 SA back from Fairbanks, AK. I had a guy based in Montana that was going to drive it back on an open trailer for $1200. Considering the BMW dealer in Fairbanks was charging $1000 just to build a crate plus $2000+ for shipping the $1200 sounded pretty good. Luckily, the owner of the KTM dealership that I bought from in DesMoines (Hicklin Power Sports)volunteered to fly up to Fairbanks and ride it back for me. He also had a few repairs made, full service and a new rear tire all on his dime. So based on his offer I cancelled the U-Ship option.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2016, 05:22:04 pm »
Matt your good man and I hope you can make something good
out of this.

Totally agree. OK COGDOM, now is your chance to help a guy out.

Matt your Boulder trip makes so much more sense now.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:11:56 pm by TimR »
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Heel2d

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11863
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2016, 05:30:30 pm »
Sorry to hear about this Matt.
OK folks, time to raid those piggy banks and help a brother out!
Once again that address is:
gofundme.com/2kru94ss

2015 Green C-14         Current Garage
1998 Green ZX-9R (2 wheel sport bike)
1980 Honda CB-750 Custom (was my Dad's bike)
2008 Honda S2000 (4 wheel sport bike)
2006 Suzuki DR650 Dual Sport

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2016, 06:05:25 pm »
Just saw this.
"VERY" sorry to hear the news.
I'm in.

C'mon COGgers,,,,, lets see what we can do to help.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2016, 06:18:27 pm »
Thinking about it. What if Matt decides not to repair his broken Connie. I would not be opposed to using any raised funds for either a down payment or used towards the purchase of a used Connie. Matt needs a horse to ride.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2016, 06:23:49 pm »
I think;
   KTM was hurt.
   His Connie is fine...

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2016, 09:29:20 pm »
Ted is correct,
 This was the KTM that got whacked.  Verdict is in now. Guy was running as a transport company illegally. Only the most basic of insurance on the truck and nothing more. I have almost 14K in that bike and I am really hoping it can be repaired as I don't have another 14K laying around anywhere that I know of. really big pill to swallow. I will be at RWTW this year somehow. I still need at least some semblance of a motorcycle vacation before I turn completely homicidal. Pass the fireball please?

I will be reporting him to the proper authorities also.
Matt

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2016, 09:54:48 pm »
Let's learn from Matt's hard lessons - Uship sucks!
Second-hand info on Uship:
Daughter-in-Law no longer will be able to fit china cabinet that was her mom's in their new apartment. Her brother and his wife want it.
Brother provides accurate measurements and arranges through uShip.
"Uship" comes driving a pick-up with a cap. My D-i-L is in the midst of preparing for move, and lets them take only lower half because upper half won't fit in pick-u (she realizes it was a mistake).
"Uship" arrives with half the merchandise, demanding full payment. After more than 10 days negotiations, Uship still had upper half of cabinet, holding it for ransom.
Great deal!

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2016, 10:35:14 pm »
Ok OK I got it now Matt's KTM took a hit. I don't think I've ever heard of someone complaining about what a COG member was riding. Still the KTM needs repair or a down payment for another one.

It looks like U ship isn't the same as what we saw on Shipping Wars. But this was the only exposure to U Ship I have. Probably no cats riding along either.   

I'm going to double check my insurance to make sure if I had my Connie shipped it would be covered in such circumstances. It's unfortunate we learn by COG members misfortunes. Like the poor guy and the Turkey Buzzard while on his way to Cortez.  His insurance would not pay medical. 

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2016, 11:29:14 pm »
Tim, what's the buzzard story?

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2016, 11:37:27 pm »
Ted is correct,
 This was the KTM that got whacked.  Verdict is in now. Guy was running as a transport company illegally. Only the most basic of insurance on the truck and nothing more. I have almost 14K in that bike and I am really hoping it can be repaired as I don't have another 14K laying around anywhere that I know of. really big pill to swallow. I will be at RWTW this year somehow. I still need at least some semblance of a motorcycle vacation before I turn completely homicidal. Pass the fireball please?

I will be reporting him to the proper authorities also.
Matt
Can you go thru your insurance for the repairs?
And further more sue his a**!

No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2016, 12:58:02 am »

The Cortez Rally. A gentleman was riding his C10 and was about 180 miles from Rally Central.  A Turkey Buzzard on the side of the road flew up as he approached and knocked the rider off his bike. The rider got some minor but probably somewhat painful injuries. He limped into Rally Central bleeding and with a banged up bike. The local Kawasaki dealer got his Connie fixed up enough for the ride home and provided a new helmet. Not sure but I don't believe the turkey buzzard survived the ordeal.

The gentlemen's insurance did not cover his medical because it was not on his policy. Everyone was reminded to check their policy's because our dear rider thought he was covered.

The gentleman is a tough old bird in his own right and took things in stride from what I could see. 

Offline JS_racer

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2016, 10:30:18 am »

The Cortez Rally. A gentleman was riding his C10 and was about 180 miles from Rally Central.  A Turkey Buzzard on the side of the road flew up as he approached and knocked the rider off his bike. The rider got some minor but probably somewhat painful injuries. He limped into Rally Central bleeding and with a banged up bike. The local Kawasaki dealer got his Connie fixed up enough for the ride home and provided a new helmet. Not sure but I don't believe the turkey buzzard survived the ordeal.

The gentlemen's insurance did not cover his medical because it was not on his policy. Everyone was reminded to check their policy's because our dear rider thought he was covered.

The gentleman is a tough old bird in his own right and took things in stride from what I could see. 

i am under the impression a rider for medical on the motorcycle policy is very expensive for very little coverage, this is where the personal medical coverage comes in  :beerchug:

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2016, 11:15:16 am »
Thanks Tim.

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2016, 12:09:31 pm »
Matt, so sorry to hear of your misfortune. I think I would just sit down and cry. :'(
Has anyone set up the donation site yet? Matt is a great person and I think anyway we can help him out is essential. When I broke down in DC, Matt didnt hesitate to come to my rescue to retrieve me and my bike. His mechanical skills soon had me up and running.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2016, 12:12:00 pm »
Sorry to hear about this Matt.
OK folks, time to raid those piggy banks and help a brother out!

Once again that address is:
gofundme.com/2kru94ss

Nicole, looks like the address is gofundme.com/2kru94SS (see above).
Ron
2014 C-14