Author Topic: Thinking about hanging it up...  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Saint_Arc

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10457
  • Membership Level: Active
Thinking about hanging it up...
« on: June 03, 2018, 07:17:28 pm »
Recently loss a dear close friend on a bike when he struck a deer and was killed.  :'(
I struck a deer a few years back but survived the encounter, he was not so lucky.  Few weeks ago another rider in my area was killed by a distracted driver not paying attention.  Needless to say, riding has been on my mind a lot and whether or not I should hang it up.  I am only 35 years old with my wife and 10 year old son but feel like I could be next.  Is this a common thought process with anyone here?  I’m not hurting for cash and the bike has been paid off for years but it’s becoming more and more a concern of mine.  I feel like riding is more dangerous than it was 10 years ago with the way drivers are more distracted today.  Couple weeks ago I had a close call with another knuckle head behind the wheel.  Just found out a friend from church totaled his bike the other day when he hit sand in a turn and lost it.  Our time here could end at any moment and understand it could just as easily happen in a car rather than a motorcycle.  It’s hard to ignore what’s going on around me.  My problem, I just love riding so damn much but now feel guilty.  What’s everyone’s take on this?  Anyone ever feel pressured to hang it up.
Michael Roelofs

2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Arabian Red
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 Candy Red (RIP)
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad

Online Motor Psycho

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12190
Re: Thinking about hanging it up...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 07:34:54 pm »
Your friend died doing what he loved. I'll take death by motorcycle, any day, over death by cancer.

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 07:47:33 pm »
Living in a padded cell?
What kind of life is that?  :(

FEAR IS NOT BORING! 
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? Try this => Road Rash Cartoon Book

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 07:49:59 pm »
    Everyone needs to assess his/her situation and make the decision that is right for them. Asking others what you should do in this situation is unfair to yourself. You have valid concerns in all respects. The facts are that you could be killed tomorrow riding. But you could also fall down the stairs and break your neck. You could make your wife and son fatherless/widowed. But you could ride for years to come without an incident. But it must be you who must assess your particular situation and decide what is right for you.
   I have already had to make that decision a few times and the last time basically ended my riding. Could I still ride? Well, yes and no. I could ride, but not long distance and would have to pay for it each time. And obviously the same concerns you have also played into my situation. So for me the choice was kind of made for me. I never say never. So when it comes to riding, who knows what the future could hold.
  Be true to yourself and ask yourself the hard questions about you and your family. Then weigh that against your love for riding. Then decide whether your willing to take the risk for what you love, or not take the risk for who you love. But it has to be you who makes the choice, not a bunch of folks on the internet.
   For what it's worth. These folks don't hold it against you no matter which way you decide. You still are welcome on the forum and at most events even if not on two wheels. Good luck how ever you decide.

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 07:53:56 pm »
We are not here for a long time, so make it a good time. Manage risk as best as you can; do not be a complacent rider distracted yourself by music, cell phones, day dreaming. Stay frosty, know they are all out to get you, and keep the mind sharp. This can apply in Zombie Apocalypse scenarios as well.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 07:54:29 pm »
I stopped riding when my children were young. Started up again when my son turned about 18. I understand exactly what you're going through. Personally I thought taking the risk while they were in school was too high. Even now I carry a lot of Life Insurance. I no longer ride in inner cities. I keep it to Country Roads highways etcetera. Riding in busy cities is really a Gamble.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 08:45:47 pm »
Sitting here right now with my 75 year old father, who just had brain surgery to remove a tumor last week.
It makes you think, and how quickly things can change.
He's doing very well, but I think i'm in the camp of live your life WHILE you can.

I understand the conundrum, and have been in the same place more than a few times.
But i'll continue to enjoy my favorite hobby until I either can't, or no longer enjoy it.

Presently, I'm struggling with selling my beloved Aprilia, which has become less and less FUN to ride due to my aging (aching) body.   :-[

Sorry to hear about your buddies passing. That sucks.   :(
I fear death by deer more than anything else....including idiot Cagers.

gr
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 03:00:56 pm by ghostrider990 »
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Online Daboo

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 09:02:13 pm »
Recently loss a dear close friend on a bike when he struck a deer and was killed.  :'(
I struck a deer a few years back but survived the encounter, he was not so lucky.  Few weeks ago another rider in my area was killed by a distracted driver not paying attention.  Needless to say, riding has been on my mind a lot and whether or not I should hang it up.  I am only 35 years old with my wife and 10 year old son but feel like I could be next.  Is this a common thought process with anyone here?  I’m not hurting for cash and the bike has been paid off for years but it’s becoming more and more a concern of mine.  I feel like riding is more dangerous than it was 10 years ago with the way drivers are more distracted today.  Couple weeks ago I had a close call with another knuckle head behind the wheel.  Just found out a friend from church totaled his bike the other day when he hit sand in a turn and lost it.  Our time here could end at any moment and understand it could just as easily happen in a car rather than a motorcycle.  It’s hard to ignore what’s going on around me.  My problem, I just love riding so damn much but now feel guilty.  What’s everyone’s take on this?  Anyone ever feel pressured to hang it up.
I rode when I was in England pre-kids.  I found I loved it, yet when we came back to the states, the thought never entered my mind.  Maybe it was because we moved to Rome, NY where they get 12 feet of annual snowfall in town.  Maybe it was because I'd have the canoe on top of my car all summer long and used it several times a week.

Twenty-four years later, I started riding again.  I didn't start riding again because my kids were grown up.  I started riding again because it was a logical thing to do.  We had three drivers and two cars when our oldest daughter was coming home from college.  A scooter to get to work, seemd the best way to do it.

I was talking to a friend at church today about how riding is one of my passions now.  His too.  We ride all year long, except when it is snowing.  Our fear is not that we will die if we get into an accident, we know where we are going...but that we will end up in a hospital bed for years before dieing.  Since you go to church, you probably also know that there's nothing we can do that will lengthen the time we have allotted.  If you want to discuss that further, PM me.

But my situation is not your situation.  I do think that your questioning your motives and weighing what this means to your family, probably indicates someone who will not take risks carelessly.  Taking risks is part of life.  Taking risks carelessly is wrong when you have others to think about.

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline Vic

• Bicycle
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 09:24:06 pm »
We are not here for a long time, so make it a good time. Manage risk as best as you can; do not be a complacent rider distracted yourself by music, cell phones, day dreaming. Stay frosty, know they are all out to get you, and keep the mind sharp. This can apply in Zombie Apocalypse scenarios as well.

Amen, brother..  I wholeheartedly agree.

Offline Old77zrider

• Big Wheels
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 09:35:32 pm »
When my son was a few months old I got run off the road. Coincidentally the life insurance rep was at work that day. I doubled my insurance. Two weeks later it happened again. I decided I didn't want anyone else to raise my kid regardless of the financial security I would provide if I died. I sold both bikes.
24 years later when my youngest child turned 18 I knew the mold was fully hardened and he was going to be a good man.
I bought a FZ1 and road the crap out of it...like I was making up for lost time. 112k miles in 7 years and loved it.

Your fear is real. Its why a lot of us ride. The thrill. rush, whatever you want to label it. Maybe you shouldn't hang it up...... forever.

Offline sininja

• Moped
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 09:46:26 pm »
I have both a 14yr old and 4yr old.  I changed the way I rode when the oldest was born, but it didn't stop me from riding.  The 4yr old got me to the point where buying an aerostich and wearing gear every time is now mandatory.  I refuse to live a life of worry, I control what I can and love every day. 

Online Daboo

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 10:13:00 pm »
I would've thought the 4 year old would've kept you from affording the aerostitch.  :D

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline sininja

• Moped
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 10:36:59 pm »
 :rotflmao:  20 yrs of riding with nothing but second hand Joe Rocket jackets helped me save up...  and the wife helping pay  :nananana:

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 10:54:37 pm »
Here's another way of looking at it...

I have survived a heart attack, 3 car crashes, countless hang glider crashes, rattle snake bite, fell down a hatch while serving US Navy, busted my left foot, slipped on ice and nearly ran over by cars, and stuff I can't remember from childhood.

He11, I'm just getting started. I am now a human wrecking ball. Stay out of my way cause you may get hit by my wake of activity. I have never had an accident on a motorcycle, ever (well, there was that one time I earned the CDA#).

Point is, I got 2 sons and only 1 wife and they have put up with my adventures and encourage it (cause it gets me outta their hair).

Let's see what trouble I can find next?   >:D National in few days...fair warning.

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAH!
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? Try this => Road Rash Cartoon Book

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 11:07:52 pm »
One of the reasons I parked my bikes when my children were younger is I felt the responsible thing for me to do was to spend that time with them. I also worked many hours per week.  Also the risk involving motorcycle riding in my opinion outweighed the fun of riding. Every time I rode I thought of my kids at home. It was a distraction that made it difficult to ride. If you're thinking about it it's obviously bothering you. I couldn't do that at the time.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 11:09:12 pm »
Your thoughts about hanging it up are normal, and obviously it’s your choice and comfort level how you want to support others and live your life. We used to ride with a COG member in our area. One day he was heading to work in the car and stuck a deer. Said if he was on his motorcycle that day, he was a goner. His C-14 went up for sale that week. Can’t blame him for that.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 11:09:51 pm »
I stopped riding 30 some years ago for your same reasons , then i had a employee that i liked who was Mr. motorcycle  and i started looking again and here we are 7 years later, i don't drive as much as i would like to , but retirement is around the corner and i plan to get more involved. 
Where I live in south Florida , we don't have all the deer  that was common in NY where I grew up , quite a problem up there, I will not be scared of things that I can not control. 
 But at 64 I have a different outlook , best of luck .
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 12:00:10 am »
18 months ago we had a tragic double fatality with the group I ride with every Tuesday. All of us are happily retired with lots of time to ride motorcycles and enough money to buy any bikes we want. That day changed the way I think and ride and I get what you are thinking. I took a month off of riding to try to wrap my head around what happened and we all had wives that were freaked out to say the least. I still ride 14,000 miles a year but with a different pace and I choose my riding times to avoid weekends, holidays, or high traffic times because I can. I also ride far less busy routes and ride like my life depends on it. I now realize I'm 65, have been riding for almost 60 years, and I have nothing to prove to anyone so whats the point of pushing it. If I lived in a high traffic area that I couldn't get away from I probably would have changed  sports but in my case I am just going to go easy and be safe. I have plenty of life insurance too by the way. My recommendation: Take some time off and think about it for a while and take your traffic situation into consideration. If you can't feel safe and it effects your family....make some changes.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 12:10:49 am »
I started riding in 1975, stopped in 1979. Raised three kids, had a good and busy career, resumed riding in 2009 when #3 graduated from HS. All of what ConcoursKZ said, too.

Much more risk averse now. But I've decided life is short and unpredictable. You can only try to manage the risk. In our area we had a guy killed in his bed by a falling tree on the house. We had a guy whose family was killed in the car with him, also by a falling tree - he survived, they didn't. And on and on. Only you can decide, but nobody will  hold it against you. Best wishes.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 12:27:25 am »
Your friend died doing what he loved. I'll take death by motorcycle, any day, over death by cancer.

True, but that's no consolation for those left behind.  Ask your wife S_A.
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 01:00:43 am »
I think your feelings are natural. I stpped riding and raised a family. I guess I went back to riding when my daughter was about 8 or 9, but I was really careful. She's on he own now. I've probably ramped it up some, too . I think what you're going through is completely normal. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 10:08:15 am »
10 years ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I went through surgery, chemo the whole bit. My intense love for my family AND motorcycles kept me going. What you are feeling is natural. I get it ever so often. Our friends on surf boards call it that "Sharky Feeling". Don't ignore it but don't stop doing what you love.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 12:34:01 pm »
I stopped riding when my children were young. Started up again when my son turned about 18. I understand exactly what you're going through. Personally I thought taking the risk while they were in school was too high. Even now I carry a lot of Life Insurance. I no longer ride in inner cities. I keep it to Country Roads highways etcetera. Riding in busy cities is really a Gamble.

Same, I gave it up for 5 years before I got the itch again and my children were 5 years older. I think what your feeling is totally normal. It's not wrong to take a break and start over after awhile- whether its the same rig you have now, or something even sweeter in a few years...ahem, a 4 YO H2SX or something. I'd love to pick one of these puppies up when they drop to $10k, too cheap to pay full price  ;D
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 12:55:10 pm »
Looking back after reading this thread I feel kinda irresponsible, or maybe I was just an "invincebile" fool. I never stopped riding when my son was born. In fact I used to drop him off and pick him up from day care on my XL250. They'd probably arrest me now.
 I did have good life insurance... That was 45 years ago and its a different world now. I'd never fault you for deciding to take a break.

Offline smooth_operator

• government isn't the solution to our problems. government is the problem!
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10773
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 02:20:46 pm »
I understand your feelings. Anytime I hear of someone passing while on a bike I get the heebies. One thing I do is watch a lot of bike wrecks on you tube. It seems to help me keep focused while I'm riding. Usually every other ride some cager does something stupid that could kill me. Call it paranoid riding if you will but I'm VERY aware anytime another vehicle is close to me.
75 MT 125 Esinore   73 CB 360T  82 Virago 920  08 Metropolitan II "step through"  2012 C14  Candy Arabian Red

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties that standing armies.
--Thomas Jefferson
 CDA 553                               END THE FED!!