Author Topic: Engine miss, only bike in World with problem  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Gary

• Bicycle
  • 2011 C14 Black
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Engine miss, only bike in World with problem
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2011, 07:41:15 pm »
Update 7/18: After 19 days on it's 3rd service visit, picked up bike today and did ~135 miles of desert and 8000 foot mountain riding, and some minor surface street stop and go, 70-103 degree temps.  One fill up 1/4 way into ride.  So far, smooth running engine, normal power.

Previously, even when the engine ran well, between it's bouts of only three cylinder power, I experienced numb hands after about 20 miles over 50 mph, and then ongoing for duration of 50+ riding.  On today's ride, the bar resonance appears to be diminished, and most of the ride the hands were in good shape, just a little numbness during a 70-75 mph run over 20 miles or so.  So, it looks like a positive byproduct of fixing the harness plug.

Hopefully, this is the final update on the issue...

Offline C1xRider

• Road Bike
  • I'm not monitoring this forum. PM me at zggtr.org
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2011, 02:00:51 am »
Update 7/18: After 19 days on it's 3rd service visit, picked up bike today and did ~135 miles of desert and 8000 foot mountain riding, and some minor surface street stop and go, 70-103 degree temps.  One fill up 1/4 way into ride.  So far, smooth running engine, normal power.

Previously, even when the engine ran well, between it's bouts of only three cylinder power, I experienced numb hands after about 20 miles over 50 mph, and then ongoing for duration of 50+ riding.  On today's ride, the bar resonance appears to be diminished, and most of the ride the hands were in good shape, just a little numbness during a 70-75 mph run over 20 miles or so.  So, it looks like a positive byproduct of fixing the harness plug.

Hopefully, this is the final update on the issue...

Great news!

As for your comments about hand numbness (a subject near and dear to my heart), I've been very suspicious of fuel mixture as a possible cause for excess vibration for some time.  From your comments, it sounds like after all the work the dealer did, yours is now smoother (less buzz / vibs in the bars) at speed than it was when delivered from the factory?  I'm wondering what, of all the things the dealer did, would have improved that.

Did they provide a list of everything they did or touched in the process of diagnosing the bad connection?  You said earlier they swapped coils among cylinders, and cleaned and / or swapped the injectors?  Did they just rotate the injectors among cylinders, or did they actually replace some of them?  Any info about any adjustments they made would also be of interest.
2010 C14 ABS  :great:
2000 XT350
1998 C10
1983 V65 Magna
1978 SX250

Offline Gary

• Bicycle
  • 2011 C14 Black
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2011, 02:43:16 am »
As for your comments about hand numbness (a subject near and dear to my heart), I've been very suspicious of fuel mixture as a possible cause for excess vibration for some time.  From your comments, it sounds like after all the work the dealer did, yours is now smoother (less buzz / vibs in the bars) at speed than it was when delivered from the factory? 
--- That is correct, noticeably smoother that as delivered, not perfect, and certainly something I have not experienced on any bike I have owned from mini-bikes on up to today. 
--- There really is not a noticeable vibration, other than the excessive vibration caused when the engine was missing. Just what I can only describe as persistent resonance, very light, but with summer weight gloves and some miles and hours, eventually worked from hand numbness to eventually weakening the arms.  For the first hour after a long ride, the arms were just dead.  And I am in pretty good shape top to bottom.  Hellooo, ladies..... I digress. After today's ride, noticed the effects minimally, but nothing like during the first 3100 miles.

Did they provide a list of everything they did or touched in the process of diagnosing the bad connection?
--- No, I meant to request that detail, but got involved with having a backup small FOB programmed, key cut, and some other stuff, then got excited to see bike and roared off.  My bad.

You said earlier they swapped coils among cylinders, and cleaned and / or swapped the injectors?  Did they just rotate the injectors among cylinders, or did they actually replace some of them?
--- They swapped coils among cylinders, but did not replace the coils, and my impression is they put all back to original position.  They pulled the injectors to clean them, did not replace.  In a discussion on Saturday, it sounded like the injectors went back to home locations so they had a same/same comparison.

Any info about any adjustments they made would also be of interest.
--- I was pretty much in the loop with what they were doing, and adjustments were not in the vocabulary.  Disassemble, clean, reassemble.  And look for codes, man, they looked deep for codes.  They did blow out all of the evap lines and similar things noted on page one or two of the thread.  Syncing injectors, fuel maps, etc. were not part of the equation.  The only adjustment was pulling the pin in the harness out until it clicked in place, 2nd pin from left, top row.  The solution was discovered by chance. Adjustments were pretty much what ever might have occurred due to disassembly, cleaning, reassembly.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:22:29 pm by GaryW »

Offline elektra

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9508
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 11:27:49 pm »
I would give that mechanic a $20 bill for coming up with the solution. He definitely saved the day.
'70 Honda 305 Dream, '79 Triumph 750 Bonneville, '85 BMW K100 Turbocharged, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '97 HD Road King, 2001 HD Dyna, 2009 Kawi C14, 2011 Kawi C14 ABS