Author Topic: Throttle Abruptness - your opinion?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Mage

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Throttle Abruptness - your opinion?
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 10:51:48 am »
I decided to try and reduce the abruptness of my bike.

So thinking about it and seeing something online that cost money I decided to try and do something myself.
By reducing the diameter of the circle that the throttle cable rides on it would not turn so quickly.
Thereby giving a slower and smoother opening of the throttle.

I took apart the throttle grip and removed the cable and then filed a groove with a small round file.
This reduced the circle at the beginning of the throttle pull from idle or just slightly on.

I only filed about an inch as I only wanted to effect the initial throttle abruptness that appeared when
doing slow turns etc. but has no effect on full open throttle uses.

This is the groove I filed - I stated out with this knowing I could always go more.
After using this for a month or more it does IMO reduce the abruptness that was present before I did this MOD.

BEST PART it was FREE except for an hours work.  Yes I vacuumed up many times to keep the plastic dust from
getting into or onto the cables or the grip area and creating a rough turning throttle grip- mine is very smooth.

Here you can see the cable lies in the groove and not on top of the circle.

I have noticed NO difference ON engine breaking at all - just so you know.

But now you can't open the throttle all the way?  Provided, of course, that the limit on rotation is in the grip.  Will the grip spin free with the cables disconnected or does it turn so far, then stop?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:55:08 am by Mage »

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Throttle Abruptness - your opinion?
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 04:57:35 pm »
iirc, there is no positive stop inside the grip housing, the throttle stop in on the throttle body

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW