Author Topic: Throttle Body Sync time needed?  (Read 346 times)

Offline Shredran

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Throttle Body Sync time needed?
« on: July 19, 2019, 09:22:10 pm »
Hi all, how many hours do y'all who've done throttle body syncs estimate it takes to do it? I did valves but did NOT do the sync at that time; don't ask me why.... So if I just wanted to go in and sync em' up, how long we talking? I have slit fairings and can take off plastic relatively fast... I'd also have someone with me who knows how to physically do it once I expose the area. but just curious!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Throttle Body Sync time needed?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 11:13:49 pm »
Hi all, how many hours do y'all who've done throttle body syncs estimate it takes to do it? I did valves but did NOT do the sync at that time; don't ask me why.... So if I just wanted to go in and sync em' up, how long we talking? I have slit fairings and can take off plastic relatively fast... I'd also have someone with me who knows how to physically do it once I expose the area. but just curious!

tough call, not knowing what tools you have, or the level of skill/confidence/familiarity you have in the process.

I have all the tools, special right angle driver, long reach forceps, extra hose to leave in place during the process, which negates ever having to remove all the frame parts, to get in there to "find the nipples" in the future (I always say install those hoses during a valve adjust, even if you don't do a synch at that time.. just to have them all in place) , Twin_max balancing gauge, individual actual vac gauges (only to get an actual mm/Hg vac reading, to see if they are in range, and which is highest, before doing synch), electric drivers for fairing screw removal, etc..

normal person, tackleing it from fully wrapped, to finish, I'd say well into 8 hours.. just because of the removal of parts to "get there"..
I would say for me, I would allow at least 6 hours for myself, and that's pushing it. It's time consuming, not difficult, just time consuming, making sure you remove, and replace everything correctly, including electrical connections..(yeah, they get in the way also..).
give yourself 10 hours, and take photos on your phone, during the process..  one slip up, and the bike not running, makes the whole thing very painful.
best of luck tho,

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 05:02:49 pm »
on my FJR a Yamaha dealer mechanic demo used my bike to show how to do it. 
Mine was very out-of-sync; the mercury manifolds were all over the place.  They were put in sync. 
The riding / motoring result was:
1) my idle speed definitely went up, so dialed idle back down.
2) despite mechanic's raves about how much smoother or more powerful it would be, there was no such impact.  No change.

I have no intention of ever looking at a throttle body sync again. 
1/2 day to 1 day of work for a benefit that's all in someone's head, no thanks.  YMMV.
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver; 53,000 miles.

Offline Shredran

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 11:04:28 pm »
Thanks for sharing that! I would’ve been upset as well LOL

Offline gilbysan

• Moped
  • The Fat Ninja Rides Again!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 10:45:03 pm »
Geez,
A person could do a heart transplant in the same or maybe less time...this is not a critique on anyone who does a sync, just a comment on the detailed nature of the work.  Definitely, takes longer to pull the skins of a C14 than it does to cut open a human...hmmm maybe Kawa needs to invent velcro'd plastic parts.
I mean, when you happen to fall all the faring pieces explode like an RPG hit it so the screws only help with vertical travel.

LoL.
Gilbysan
gilbysan

Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Samuel Langhorne Clemens