Author Topic: Throttle cable adjustment confusion  (Read 382 times)

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Throttle cable adjustment confusion
« on: January 30, 2019, 04:48:03 am »
My throttle cable had about 2-3 times more play than needed, so I finally made time to adjust it to the recommended 2-3 mm play.  However, the owner's manual and service manual give conflicting instructions on how to do this.  They both have you first dialing in the adjusters all the way to get plenty of slack, but after that they conflict with one another.  The owner's manual says to turn the decelerator cable out until there's no play and then tighten the locknut.  However, the service manual says to turn the decelerator cable until there's 2-3 mm play, tighten the locknut, then do the same with the accelerator cable . . . which doesn't make sense since dialing the accelerator cable back out (remember, they first told you to dial both cables all the way in to get slack) will only reduce the amount of play from the 2-3 mm set by adjusting the decelerator cable.  The owner's manual says to do this also, but after having already adjusted all the play out.  So again, this makes no sense since adjusting the accelerator cable back out when there's already no slack isn't going to give you 2 -3 mm of slack. 

To make matters worse, the manuals have the accelerator and decelerator cables labeled differently.  The owner's manual has the decelerator cable being the one further out from you while your sitting on the bike, while the service manual has the decelerator cable being the closer one.  AAAAARGH!!!

One thing they do have in common is the pictures in both suggest both cables should be turned out the same distance, i.e. they have the same amount of threads showing on the adjusters.  Is this what you're after, or can you adjust them according to where you'd like your hand position to be when the throttle starts to engage?  I'm thinking the cramping I've been getting might be from already having too much bend in my wrist when the throttle engages, so that as I roll on the throttle my hand is angled up from my wrist, similar to the angle when doing a push-up, but not that severe of course.

So is it really just a matter of comfort as to how you adjust the cables vis-a-vis one another as long as you get the suggested 2-3 mm of play and the bike idles fine as you turn the bars from side to side, or should they have the same number of turns out from all the way slack?  Or is there a third way that's the right way?  I decided to adjust them so the throttle engagement begins higher up for less break in the wrist to see if this helps my hand feel better, but will wait until tomorrow to try it out.  It's set with the cable closest to the rider all the way out (no adjuster threads showing), while the outer cable has about 3/8" of an inch of threads showing.

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6662
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Throttle cable adjustment confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 10:37:52 am »
Greg, you've probably already figured this out. I usually just play with the adjusters until I get them where I want them. There was a post here I think from SISF about making sure you have very little play in the throttle to help avoid that pesky on/off feel we can get with the EFI system. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:51:43 am »
To make matters worse, the manuals have the accelerator and decelerator cables labeled differently.  The owner's manual has the decelerator cable being the one further out from you while your sitting on the bike, while the service manual has the decelerator cable being the closer one.  AAAAARGH!!!

The return cable is the one closest to you while sitting on bike, accelerator (pull) cable is the forward most cable.  I just adjusted mine somewhere in the middle with no slack.
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 03:56:59 pm »
Greg, you've probably already figured this out. I usually just play with the adjusters until I get them where I want them. There was a post here I think from SISF about making sure you have very little play in the throttle to help avoid that pesky on/off feel we can get with the EFI system. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Yes, thanks I did figure it out just by tightening each adjuster approximately the same number of turns until I had just a few mm's of play.  Feels much better.