Author Topic: Throttle tamer questions  (Read 3145 times)

Offline TicTac

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11256
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Throttle tamer questions
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 11:35:43 pm »
I thought I would try one out and found some good prices on ebay but im confused about the part no.
 some of them has a K on the end  of the no.  or a d  or a y this is from different vendors
   example :40-4F-136-K
 but all of them say they fit concours 14 am i missing somthing here or are they all the same?
 I tried visiting the G2 pages but something is weird is going on with their site right now .

The new and updated model for C14 is 40-4SF-136D
Nice and smooth. Exactly what I was looking for. :motonoises:
Strum. Thanks for starting this topic. :great:

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • Ted calls me Cap'n Crunch.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 02:58:57 am »
Per the manufacturer,G2Ergonomics<----click, the current part number is 40-4SF-136K.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:04:41 am by AmphibSailor »
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Online COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 06:57:00 am »
So 40-4F-136K  won't work on a 2013 
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 Speed Triple (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 and 2013 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 07:06:34 am »
It was for 08-14 when I bought that part number in 2014.  The new part number is for 08-17.  I'm sure it'll be no problem.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:42:23 am by AmphibSailor, Reason: Corrected year error. Was 09-14. Updated to 08-14. »
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Online COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 09:50:41 am »
It was for 08-14 when I bought that part number in 2014.  The new part number is for 08-17.  I'm sure it'll be no problem.

thanks, as long as it is working for you  it should on my '13   :great:
Jerry Holland  COG  4478

Offline strum

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 01:55:41 pm »
  This 40-4SF-136D is the one I got . Fit perfect no problems at all. The only issue I had was adjusting the throttle cable . I had no adjustment left on the pull side.
 Then I went back and took another look at it a realized I was doing it wrong . The cables now are very close to where they were with the stock tube.
  I guess reading the manual does come in handy for us hard heads some time :nananana:
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 03:10:22 pm »

thanks, as long as it is working for you  it should on my '13   :great:

I put it on the bike before I got Steve's flash to get rid of that jerkiness at the closed to open throttle transition.  I just left it on when I added the flash.  Still works great...of course some of that might have been reduced with the flash.  I've got a full Area P.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 04:33:52 pm »
I think ya'll are missing the most important part of what a throttle tamer does..

For now, forget the initial 5% of your roll-on and think about the first part 25% of your throttle rotation...

NOTE: We use that first part of the throttle "most" of the time..

The throttle tamer spreads the first 25% out to (approx.) 35% of the total rotation.
Because it is spread out, you are able to better control your power.. (Not as touchy)
Soooo; In a turn/etc, you have better control of the power your choosing.
Plus it is easier to turn because the first part of the diameter is smaller than a stock throttle..

Something I bet you didn't think about;
   When you want WOT {to accell out of a turn/etc},
        you don't want to twist the throttle more than you do on a stock throttle.
   So,, the last 65% of a tamer is slightly larger dia than stock.
     This allows you to use the same amount of rotation to reach WOT as a stock throttle.

Let the flames begin,,,,,
Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline TicTac

• Bicycle
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 11:42:22 pm »
  This 40-4SF-136D is the one I got . Fit perfect no problems at all. The only issue I had was adjusting the throttle cable . I had no adjustment left on the pull side.
 Then I went back and took another look at it a realized I was doing it wrong . The cables now are very close to where they were with the stock tube.
  I guess reading the manual does come in handy for us hard heads some time :nananana:
Yep.  :great:
40-4SF-136D is a new and improved part .  :-\
I did mark the cables position before I removed everything and they went back almost into the same spots.
Hair spray did the job keeping the grip glued to the tube and 2-3mm slack was a very  minor adjustment.
I didn't have a chance yet to give it a real test on the twisties but the bike is runnig and shifting pleasantly  smooth in the city driving. :motonoises:
Reminds me of my old BMW K12000 LT but better.  :great:   I am very pleased with this upgrade and would  highly recommend it.  :beerchug:

Offline bobgroger

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12689
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 03:02:51 am »
Is there any problem running this with heated grips and a Throttlemeister?
09 C14 24k
'80 GS1100e Dragbike 8k
'83 GS1100e stock 42k
'80 GS850 my favorite bike 18k

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 03:25:46 am »
Is there any problem running this with heated grips and a Throttlemeister?

Nope!  It replaces the throttle tube.  Its thicker than the original but I had no problems getting my heated grip over it.  Also, ran a Throttlemeister with it out issue.   :beerchug:

Offline Fixxer

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2017, 02:42:05 pm »
Do any of you that run the Throttle Tamer think it could help those of us that have throttle hand or wrist issues?
More specifically, does the TT require less effort when compared to stock to operate the throttle?

Thanks!
Steve

2013 C14
Nocturne Blue

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2017, 04:26:10 pm »
Steve my guess is no it will be the same amount of pull required to hold speed.  Might be slightly less just off idle.  Most times wrist issues are body position and death grip on the bars.  Relax and put bars on that get all your weight off your wrist.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline strum

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2017, 04:36:51 pm »
Steve my guess is no it will be the same amount of pull required to hold speed.  Might be slightly less just off idle.  Most times wrist issues are body position and death grip on the bars.  Relax and put bars on that get all your weight off your wrist.

I agree.  The tamer is smoother but it dont help the wrist any.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2017, 05:17:40 pm »
Do any of you that run the Throttle Tamer think it could help those of us that have throttle hand or wrist issues?
More specifically, does the TT require less effort when compared to stock to operate the throttle?

Thanks!
I don't think I've a bike with a worse wrist angle than the stock bars on the c14. With a tubular bar setup you can find bars that will fit you.

Offline TicTac

• Bicycle
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2017, 09:07:52 pm »

Thanks!
I don't think I've a bike with a worse wrist angle than the stock bars on the c14. With a tubular bar setup you can find bars that will fit you.

Throttle Tamer does not change your wrist position. HeliBars will. :motonoises:
HeliBars® Horizon™ ST multi-axis adjustable handlebars for Kawasaki Concours14 :great:
https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliBars%C2%AE-Horizon%E2%84%A2-ST-multi%252daxis-adjustable-handlebars-for-Kawasaki-Concours14/582.html
I've tested C14 many, many times. Liked the bike but could not adjust to the handlebars or riding position.
Actually... HeliBars were ordered before I took delivery of the bike. I rode new bike "STOCK" only about 250 miles.
I highly recommend those bars for rides traveling long distance or just not happy with the stock bars. :beerchug:
Good Luck. :great:

Offline Fixxer

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2017, 01:44:09 pm »
Thanks for the info, guys. FWIW, I already have Helibar Horizons on my C14.  I been fighting this right hand tingling/numbness for a while now.

Thanks for the help.
Steve

2013 C14
Nocturne Blue

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2017, 06:29:42 pm »
Is the TT install pretty straight forward?  :beerchug:

How do you get the heated grip off w/o damaging it?

Ok so I was able to get the throttle tube part way off, I suspect that the cables need to be popped off the OEM cam for the tube to come off the entire way and making slack for the heated grip harness.

So, thats easy, but what did you do to get the heated grip off w/o damaging the heated wires inside the grip? Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:18:01 pm by gpd323 »
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Online COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2017, 08:25:17 pm »
I used an air compressor to get the grip off the throttle tube, slide the grip back on the G2 and you are ready to go.  I used hairspray to get the grip over the G2 and when it dries it sticks great.

You will need to take all the slack out of the throttle cables to get the cable ends off the throttle tube
Jerry Holland  COG  4478

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2017, 08:34:46 pm »
I used an air compressor to get the grip off the throttle tube, slide the grip back on the G2 and you are ready to go.  I used hairspray to get the grip over the G2 and when it dries it sticks great.

You will need to take all the slack out of the throttle cables to get the cable ends off the throttle tube

Ok, but I don't own a air compressor. You mean I need to create as much slack as possible to get the cables off the OEM tube?  :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Online COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2017, 09:02:59 pm »

Ok, but I don't own a air compressor. You mean I need to create as much slack as possible to get the cables off the OEM tube?  :beerchug:

Don't know what to tell you with no air compressor but yes on as much slack as possible, makes it a lot easier
Jerry Holland  COG  4478

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2017, 09:27:53 pm »
Ok thanks. TT on its way to me now
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Andy

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2017, 04:41:06 pm »
Good info all. Thanks!

Offline Sprocket

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12284
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2017, 02:18:24 pm »
I installed one of these and used Scotts grip glue but the grip will slowly twist after long rides with the heated grips turned on, what is anybody using to glue your grip back on securely?
On the TT I think that it is easier to keep the rpms up when entering a curve so you do not have to go to closed throttle and then back open again, this motor does not mind rpms, let her sing!
 I do have the EVO flash.

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2017, 04:58:01 pm »
So what should have been a 5-10 minute job turned into a 1.5 hour job. I have been in touch with the TT company and they are sending me a replacement. I was on the phone twice with tech.

There was some missing machining, tube length is longer than the stock tube so my throttle lock will not work.  >:(

Hopefully the replacement is correctly machined and fits like OEM. That is as much as I am going to say.  :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.