Author Topic: Tickling a foot peg on the Connie.  (Read 7756 times)

Offline AhhhhhSUM

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Tickling a foot peg on the Connie.
« on: April 10, 2012, 04:11:00 pm »
I thought you guys would enjoy these.....maybe a dime a dozen, but thought I would share anyway. Couple of shots from the Dragon Tail. Not very far from my house...been several times. John.

The SETUP

The Tickle

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:22:11 am by AhhhhhSUM »

Offline AhhhhhSUM

• Tricycle
Re: Tickling a foot peg on the Connie.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 04:15:53 pm »
It looks as if pictures not showing up....just links...let me know if they do not work.  John.

Offline Southern_rider

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10088
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:26:10 pm »
Looks good, I rode the dragon last year on my Yamaha 600.
Jim
COG# 10,088

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:37:15 pm »
It looks as if pictures not showing up....just links...let me know if they do not work.  John.

John, try putting the square bracket "[", the letters "img" followed by another square bracket "]".  Then insert the same link you had and close it with a square bracket "[", the letters "/img" followed by another square bracket "]".  It should work like this...

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:39:30 pm by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline AhhhhhSUM

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 11:54:10 pm »
LOL...works great Rev rider as I can see in your post....Thanks!

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 01:10:47 am »
Well...... You going to lay it on over or what ? lol. I have scraped all the soul off the side of my boots and the knob on my peg...well it's gone . Good pics  ;D
No matter where I go, There I am !

Offline Kinetic1

• Moped
  • I have the best wife EVER.
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:56:40 am »
Good form. Looking where you want to go and not being overly aggressive and "hanging off".  Great pics.
"I never did mind much about the little things"

Offline Momo65

• Bicycle
  • Dog's head out the window,that is me in my bike
  • COG#: 10016
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:08:17 am »
GREAT PICS,  :motonoises:

Offline AhhhhhSUM

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 11:29:07 am »
Thanks for the kind/funny comments all!  Funny that you mention that Kinetic1....when I was looking for my pics at the photo selling website, I got a kick out of some dude hanging is butt completely off the seat....his leg out chicken style....yet his knee was still a good foot and a half from the pavement.....made me giggle.

Offline Bugnut

• Scooter
  • The Dude abides.
  • COG#: 9946
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 04:09:13 pm »
Don't need to lean much out, but it helps when your going "aggressive".  >:D

Mike :motonoises:

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 5539
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »
Nice head turns guys!  :)
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:44 pm »

Mike :motonoises:

NOW YOUR GETTING THERE !

Good lean , Hang it on out there and knee drag. She will do it. I've got pucks that are worn down to prove it .   :)

Beautiful pic

Offline Stewart

• Road Bike
  • Aussie living in the USA
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9380
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 05:44:57 pm »
NH Speedway Track day......its a nice feeling rounding a corner with the gas on and being able to see all the way through it.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline AhhhhhSUM

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 09:01:24 pm »
Nice pics Bugnut!!! Full blown back rub for the footpeg...hehe.   @Stewart...Agreed! I hope to do a trackday one of these days.

Offline TGE

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 11:40:08 pm »
Good form. Looking where you want to go and not being overly aggressive and "hanging off".  Great pics.

Nice! Hanging off is actually quite helpful during spirited riding. Some overenthusiastic riders have a tendency to hang off excessively, which looks awkward and has a tendency to produce a "crossed up" body position, where the butt is hanging far off the bike, while the majority of the torso and the head are still centered on the bike. The way to do it properly without looking like a spider monkey is to simply slide one cheek off the seat, and to move both head and torso to the inside of the bike. When looking at those pictures, draw an imaginary line through the front tire, between the head lights, and generally through the center of the bike. The correct form will have the majority of your body positioned to the inside of that line. It can feel funny in the beginning, but it decreases the amount of lean angle needed to take a corner at a given speed. Unless the bike is lowered, dragging hard parts (or toes, for that matter) is usually a sign that your body position could use some improvement.

I strongly recommend signing up for track days to work on that. They may transform the way you ride! As an alternative, I also recommend Lee Parks' Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/.
CMRA #660 -- Team Full Tilt Racing #63

2010 Triumph Street Triple 675 | 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS | 2007 Yamaha YZF-R6 (track only) | 2005 Suzuki DR650 SE | 2003 Honda CRF 450R | 2004 Yamaha TT-R 125LE

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 11:54:27 pm »
I've found leaning really helps with speed in the curves. it keeps the bike more upright and lets me gain speed . All though I have dragged my knee more than a few times. When I do hit my knee that's pretty much it and I ease off just a tad. The new tires I've just bought are amazing in curves. Michelin power 2CT . Unbelievable grip !

Offline Kinetic1

• Moped
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:37 am »
Agree with you for the most part TGE. I just think if you need to hang off on the street you are riding faster than you should be anyway. On the track though, that's a different story. I have tons of track and race time on everything from my original 87 GSXR750 LE race bike to a 2009 Yamaha R1. I still "do it wrong" though. I tend to be the hang the butt way off but my head stays just to the inside of steering stem guy. I've tried adjusting over the years but it just feels wrong. I have more control over the bike and feel more prepared to handle a slide in that postition. Almost every time I have been riding with "proper form" and started to lose it, it has kept going and I end up on my head. I save it and even slide around and steer with the rear quite a bit the other way. It just feels better to me. One of my riding buddies (who is stupid fast on an sv650) rides "like you should"  though. Whatever works for you I guess.

Offline TGE

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 02:59:59 pm »
Kinetic1 - I think that muscle memory has a lot to do with whatever feels right or wrong to us. Once you develop a habit for a particular form, any deviation from that tends to feel wrong to us, mostly due to muscle memory. That said, if you feel comfortable riding that way, and have done so over years, I certainly don't blame you for just rolling with it.

And I completely agree with your statement about riding too fast when hanging off on the street. I occasionally get "spirited" on the street and find myself hanging off a bit, and when I take a quick glance at the speedometer, I usually realize that I am going a bit fast. Nonetheless, the perhaps single best reason to develop proper form is to be able to build up the right muscle memory that you can then resort to when you're out riding the twisties, and find yourself getting too hot into a turn. Many people will panic and straighten the bike out, which often leads to running off and/or going down. By instead committing to the turn with the proper form, the vast majority of those situations can be conquered without any problems. The human brain is the big enemy here, because once the panic and the associated survival reactions set in, it becomes quite difficult to do anything that makes sense. The only way to get past that is via muscle memory, and that takes a lot of practice.

A lot of riders think that track days are pure testosterone festivals, designed for people who want to go beyond legal speeds. They don't realize how important the skills are that one learns to develop on the track. A single track day typically does more for most riders than an entire year of riding on the street.
CMRA #660 -- Team Full Tilt Racing #63

2010 Triumph Street Triple 675 | 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS | 2007 Yamaha YZF-R6 (track only) | 2005 Suzuki DR650 SE | 2003 Honda CRF 450R | 2004 Yamaha TT-R 125LE

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:22 pm »
Quote - A lot of riders think that track days are pure testosterone festivals, designed for people who want to go beyond legal speeds. They don't realize how important the skills are that one learns to develop on the track. A single track day typically does more for most riders than an entire year of riding on the street.

You know, A month ago I would of called you on this statement, but after riding with some guy's that have done track day's , I believe your right. Im planning on going to track day just for the education and fun. I WANT TO LEARN !

Offline Stewart

• Road Bike
  • Aussie living in the USA
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9380
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 03:59:42 pm »
Quote - A lot of riders think that track days are pure testosterone festivals, designed for people who want to go beyond legal speeds. They don't realize how important the skills are that one learns to develop on the track. A single track day typically does more for most riders than an entire year of riding on the street.

You know, A month ago I would of called you on this statement, but after riding with some guy's that have done track day's , I believe your right. Im planning on going to track day just for the education and fun. I WANT TO LEARN !

I agree, last year I booked to do a Total Control ARC course, which was cancelled due to numbers, so I opted for the Track Day. Thinking it would be mostly an experience, but turned out to be much more. I've learn a lot on the track which I think has made me a better and safer rider. A key ingredient is the company that runs it I believe. I've only ever experienced one provider and can speak highly of them.  http://www.tonystrackdays.com/
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Kinetic1

• Moped
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 05:16:04 pm »
Absolutely agree TGE. I've seen so many accidents from guys and gals too that didn't have to happen if they would have just tipped it in farther and went with it. Going to the track is so much more than just fun. EVERYONE should do a track day as often as they can afford IMO.

breaker19

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 07:26:13 pm »
Are those pics Darryl Cannon's (aka Killboy) or Zee photo or another photog on the gap?

Offline jetman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9805
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 12:05:37 am »
Stewart, you are so right: it's about the integrity of the provider. I recently attended a one day "Class" track day, by Reg Pridmore and company, at Willow Springs Raceway, Rosamond, CA. I highly recommend this group of fun, intelligent, and communicative folks. I rode my previous everyday bike, an '02 ZX9-R. (Lime green!) Twenty minutes classroom, twenty minutes on the track. A most excellant and informative day! This was on the "Streets of Willow" track, not the "big" track. I will do this again, and will strongly consider taking the '11 C14. I strongly endorse Reg Pridmore's CLASS program.

Offline AhhhhhSUM

• Tricycle
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 11:05:51 am »
@Breaker19  - I got mine from US129photos.com. I checked all the others, but these were my favorite.

Offline ExpAviation

• Big Wheels
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 11:45:20 am »
The Dragon Run.... with a bike that just loves it. >:D