Author Topic: Time For New Radiator Hoses  (Read 740 times)

Offline jas

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10108
  • Membership Level: Active
Time For New Radiator Hoses
« on: April 28, 2018, 06:19:50 pm »
I installed a new air filter today and was just looking around the bike...I saw that the right radiator hose appears to be leaking coolant through the hose itself.  The coolant is not coming out between the radiator fitting and the hose...it is coming out between the layers of the hose itself.  Time to replace them all.  I have a 2011 with 26K miles and the hoses have never been replaced.

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
Re: Time For New Radiator Hoses
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:32:44 pm »
I recommend the Samco silicone lifetime hose kit.  A member here (Nakedfun) <---click   worked with the company to get the hoses made.   Racebikebitz<--click   sells them.  I have nothing to do with the company, other than being a customer.
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 08:05:31 pm »
+1 for the Samco. They make a very good product. If you buy them also get their clamps or buy good ones locally.

Any chance you have an extended warranty? That's a premature failure and I would expect it to be covered. Two things will cause this. Over tightening the clamp and scraping the inside on a sharp edged pipe during installation. If the inner sealing surface is damaged the coolant can reach the reinforcing cords and wick out. Either one will eventually lead to early failure.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 11:32:08 pm »
As nice as the Samco kits are, the price of nearly $300 is, for me at least, not a good value.  I think you can get the entire set of OEM hoses for less than $150.  I think your situation of having one fail like this in 7 years or so is atypical.  The hoses on my 2012 look like new and having coolant hoses fail like this doesn't seem to be a common issue at all.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 02:07:07 am »
Sorry, blue and green are their standard colors, and you have to wait 3-4 weeks for a special order color like...black.  :-[

Offline jas

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 10:46:35 am »
Thanks for all the info.  No, I don't have an extended warranty.  I've never had that hose off so it may have been faulty/over-tightened from the factory.  I did notice that the hose appeared to have some dried coolant showing around the top when I did the valve adjustment last spring. I didn't think much of it at the time! Of course it would have been much easier to replace it at that time since the coolant was out and all the plastic was off!  The price of the SAMCO hoses doses seem high.  Maybe you do get what you pay for though.  I checked the price of stock hoses and clamps at Partzilla.  Five hoses - including the two to the oil cooler - and all new clamps (ten) for $179 (free shipping and no tax) so I went ahead and ordered them. The one hose failing does seem strange. I'm going to continue to ride it until the new hoses arrive.  I'm hoping that the way it is leaking would not lead to a catastrophic failure. Coolant doesn't actually drip on the ground.  It seems to solidify as it weeps out around the hose and hits the air.  Even so, I'm not going to venture too far from home...

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 03:25:42 am »
Wise decision.  :great: 

Replacing the clamps isn't really necessary when installing OEM hoses. With the Samco hoses, all silicone, you need clamps that are smooth on the inner surface and have the edges rounded.
  Think of the one weeping hose like a 5 year old battery. It will "Probably" be ok for another year BUT could fail at anytime. :motonoises:

BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 12:09:17 pm »
Wise decision.  :great: 

Replacing the clamps isn't really necessary when installing OEM hoses. With the Samco hoses, all silicone, you need clamps that are smooth on the inner surface and have the edges rounded.
  Think of the one weeping hose like a 5 year old battery. It will "Probably" be ok for another year BUT could fail at anytime. :motonoises:

In my experience, when you see a hose "weeping" like this, the inner liner has deteriorated and is allowing the coolant to get into the woven layer where the fibers then carry the liquid past the clamp and it seeps out the end.  It's a common failure mode for these types of hoses on almost all vehicles and it does indicate that the hose is compromised and past its useful life.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 05:27:28 pm »
Coggers,

I just went to Partzilla.com and added all hoses for the cooling system to the cart and came up with $109. for all. Did not add clamps and other hardware of course but that is a much better price than the Samco's.  The Samco hoses are really nice looking but really $300?

Attached is the part listing from them.

Cheers!

Gilbysan
gilbysan

β€œIn theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 06:44:09 pm »
Personal opinion here;
On a bike as new as this, simply replace the single offending hose.

I know the Samco hoses look sweet, but why replace all of them?

I am a stickler about inspecting all the hoses, but simply can't see the logic in tossing away $$$ and replacing all the hoses, even with OEM ones, when only one is bad, and from seeing the picture, the single hose had been compromised from its intital installation... its not like all the hoses went bad...

Put the rest of the cash into a flush and fill of the cooling system, inspect all the hoses, fill the tank with fuel, and enjoy the bike.

Ride safe.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 04:05:49 am »
+1 MOB.

Offline jas

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 12:15:32 pm »
Yes, I debated about only replacing the one defective hose, however, as is often repeated here, I figured once I am in there...  As I have low miles compared to many here, the remainder of the hoses are probably fine as is.  Oh well... As far as replacing the hose clamps, I probably shouldn't have bothered.  Since I replaced the coolant last April when I did the valves, I plan on draining it into a clean container and reusing it.  I bought an additional quart of Aluma Cool to top it off.  The parts shipped from Partzilla so I only need to make it until next weekend when I can pull it apart.