Author Topic: Top Case Color Panel Departed  (Read 890 times)

Offline JRSIII

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Top Case Color Panel Departed
« on: January 09, 2019, 06:21:20 pm »
Hey, new to COG so Howdy!  This is my 2ND C14, the first being totaled in a hit from behind collision about a year ago.  Currently riding a blue 2013.  ST1300 and Suzuki GS1100GK prior to that.  Anyway, was riding at freeway speeds (75 - 80ish) yesterday in So-Cal when, at some point unbeknownst to me, the Kawasaki 47L Top Case color panel departed the motorcycle leaving only some plastic at the rear screw attach points. :'(  Anyone else had this happen?  I have an extended warranty through Kawasaki.  Any chance this would be covered?  Thanks in advance for any info!

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Top Case Color Panel Departed
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 11:01:10 am »
It's a Kawasaki OEM part so I would think that it would be.  Aftermarket would be a different situation.  Could have been scary for someone following you! :-\
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 04:48:45 pm »
I think a new cover like you lost is available on Ebay for less $$ that getting another from Kawasaki.

I doubt yours is covered by your extended warranty unless Kawasaki installed it when you bought the bike.
If they did, it might/maybe/possibly be covered for that reason.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline JRSIII

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:56:19 pm »
Guys, thanks for the suggestions!  From Mother K, the panel is $169 so I'll definitely check Ebay.  I read through the warranty coverage and it doesn't look like it's covered but can't hurt to call the dealer regardless.  I bought the bike used and the top case was on when I signed for the extended warranty.  It did not have the backrest pad like my previous bike did so wondering if that pad aids in keeping that panel indexed in place, especially at higher speeds?  I'm assuming air/wind somehow got underneath and peeled it off the back.....

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 05:44:41 am »
The pad in question might help as it covers most of the leading edge of the top colored cover. At least that's the way it looks on my Kawasaki top box.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline JRSIII

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 04:22:48 pm »
Thanks!  I was thinking the same thing and will definitely install the pad with the new panel! 

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 04:57:44 pm »
I suspect the screws that holds the panel on were not installed right when the panel was put on the bike.
Either too loose or stripped out by too much force.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 08:48:10 pm »
 :iagree:  or maybe vibrated loose?
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 08:56:49 pm »
Guys, thanks for the suggestions!  From Mother K, the panel is $169 so I'll definitely check Ebay.  I read through the warranty coverage and it doesn't look like it's covered but can't hurt to call the dealer regardless.  I bought the bike used and the top case was on when I signed for the extended warranty.  It did not have the backrest pad like my previous bike did so wondering if that pad aids in keeping that panel indexed in place, especially at higher speeds?  I'm assuming air/wind somehow got underneath and peeled it off the back.....

keep after your dealer....
It's a Kawasaki trunk
mounted to your Kawasaki bike,
purchased from a Kawasaki dealer,
and...you purchased an extended Kawasaki warranty.... use it.

no question, it must be covered.... inspection from the dealer prior to sale to you is a requirement, any defect, loose screws or otherwise, are their responsibility... the warranty does not cover "aftermarket" parts, tires, lubes, and wear items, but any Kawasaki installed Kawasaki part, like in your case (pun intended)... Is under that coverage.
Oh, and re-up your coverage before it expires..

make them foot the bill for the repair,  it's not the dealer's money, it is Kaw money...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 10:54:19 pm »
Was the case installed by the dealer, or did the prior owner do the install?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 07:51:02 am »
But MOB, the owners manual suggest checking the tightness of screws. I check fairing screws regularly but I must admit I haven't checked the screws which retain the colored trunk top.

Offline JRSIII

• Big Wheels
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 05:50:02 pm »
Thanks for the info, guidance, suggestions!

The screws were tight as they and a few bits of plastic were all that was left.  In fact, they were difficult to remove!  (Partially a function of not having the perfect size Philips head)  In retrospect and as mentioned earlier by TIm R, it sure seems that the pad plays a role in the security of that color panel since the panel is only held in at the front by indentations in the top case and the pad, when installed, covers the bottom edge of the color panel holding it in those indentations.  I will definitely install the pad next time around!

Which brings me to the next issue....I've had (2) online Kawasaki parts sources tell me that the color panel and pad are no longer available.  I'm not sure if that says anything about the continued viability of the Connie in the Kawasaki lineup since my bike is only (6) years old or if that is common Kawasaki practice? When I originally traded in my ST1300 on a 2010 Connie in 2015, I sprang for the top case and associated parts and there was no problem getting them. 

Regardless, if anyone has a lead on a 2013 Metallic Nocturne Blue 47L Color Panel, please point me in that direction!

I plan to follow the dealer and warranty avenue on Monday so will update if successful....

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 06:30:12 pm »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-KAWASAKI-CONCOURS-ZG1400-39L-TOP-CASE-COLOR-PANEL-K16160-0010/183598418769?epid=1011849236&hash=item2abf518b51:g:G5IAAOSwAx9cHYOi:rk:12:pf:0

I found this on Ebay. It is not the cover I think you need, but offers hope that a proper one could be found with more searching..
I know of others that have successfully bought the Kawasaki bag and bag parts on Ebay.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline flashback50

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 12:21:10 am »

The screws were tight as they and a few bits of plastic were all that was left.  In fact, they were difficult to remove!  (Partially a function of not having the perfect size Philips head)  In retrospect and as mentioned earlier by TIm R, it sure seems that the pad plays a role in the security of that color panel since the panel is only held in at the front by indentations in the top case and the pad, when installed, covers the bottom edge of the color panel holding it in those indentations.  I will definitely install the pad next time around!

Which brings me to the next issue....I've had (2) online Kawasaki parts sources tell me that the color panel and pad are no longer available.  I'm not sure if that says anything about the continued viability of the Connie in the Kawasaki lineup since my bike is only (6) years old or if that is common Kawasaki practice? When I originally traded in my ST1300 on a 2010 Connie in 2015, I sprang for the top case and associated parts and there was no problem getting them. 

Regardless, if anyone has a lead on a 2013 Metallic Nocturne Blue 47L Color Panel, please point me in that direction!

I plan to follow the dealer and warranty avenue on Monday so will update if successful....

Kawi discontinues the topcase trim colors for bikes after about 3-4 years. When I had my 2008 model they discontinued the colored topcase trim part for it after about 3 -4 years.  Sometimes you can still find one in stock someplace though. Good luck  :beerchug:

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 02:28:45 am »

Cheap Cycle Parts appears to have it, and it's reduced a good bit - https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemcatalogs/p/kawasaki_motorcycle_2013_concours_14_abs/kawasaki_accessories-bags_luggage/5320b2946d81f5c708ecfa8e/47-liter-top-case-color-panel-metallic-nocturne-blue-c6.  Note they don't actually use a pic of it.  For some reason, they use the same top case pic for all the color panels as do the other Kawi OEM suppliers.

I just ordered the Kawi top case and matching Candy Arabian Red panel for my baby from them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:33:53 am by Kreton'sLC »

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 03:24:20 am »
I have a new one NOS. Here is a picture, If it's the right one let me know . $100 +Shipping  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:18:38 pm by Zarticus »
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 03:25:15 am »

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 11:25:06 am »
Last photo of receipt from above post: Kawasaki assumes no responsibility for damage for improperly installed....
Unless you can find out if a Kawasaki dealer installed the cover I think you are on your own for a replacement.
Even then I wouldn't think body panels are covered by a warranty. How do they know you didn't strap a 12 pack to the top of the box, haha.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 06:20:33 pm »
I have a new one NOS. Here is a picture, If it's the right one let me know . $100 +Shipping  :beerchug:
Going to list on ebay in a couple of day's if no interest.   

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 04:14:54 pm »

Cheap Cycle Parts appears to have it, and it's reduced a good bit - https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemcatalogs/p/kawasaki_motorcycle_2013_concours_14_abs/kawasaki_accessories-bags_luggage/5320b2946d81f5c708ecfa8e/47-liter-top-case-color-panel-metallic-nocturne-blue-c6.  Note they don't actually use a pic of it.  For some reason, they use the same top case pic for all the color panels as do the other Kawi OEM suppliers.

I just ordered the Kawi top case and matching Candy Arabian Red panel for my baby from them.

Just an update that might be helpful in case you're still hunting for a top panel.  While I thought Cheap Cycle parts might have it, they probably don't.  They were happy to take my money for the Kawi top case, only to get back to me several days later saying it's unavailable.  Had the same experience with Kawasaki Parts House, so don't order anything for your Connie from these guys without first calling to see whether they actually have the item in stock.  I believe if Kawasaki doesn't show the item when you select your bike, they don't actually have it either.  That was my experience after calling their customer support.  They don't show top panels available for anything before '14 models, so my guess is your only options might be Ebay or a private seller on this or the zggtr forum.

Offline AwesomeDad

• Training Wheels
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 10:48:22 pm »
I believe that's the color I need for my 17 but its different than what was shipped for my case.

JJ