Author Topic: Kawasaki Touring Seat Question  (Read 762 times)

Offline Shizzle

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Kawasaki Touring Seat Question
« on: October 06, 2019, 12:18:44 am »
Does anyone know if the Kawasaki Touring seat is any lower than the stock seat? This is for my 2011. Thinking of ordering one

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Kawasaki Touring Seat Question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 02:35:26 am »
Does anyone know if the Kawasaki Touring seat is any lower than the stock seat? This is for my 2011. Thinking of ordering one

It is not lower!

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 12:08:53 pm »
Of the three seats that I have, 2008 OEM, Kawasaki Low Gel, and Kawasaki Touring, the Touring is by far the tallest.
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline Shizzle

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 03:19:24 pm »
I'm open for suggestions on a seat. Just don't like how the stock seat pushes you forward on the tank. Lower would be better but not a deal killer.

Thanks

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 01:39:02 am »
I'm open for suggestions on a seat. Just don't like how the stock seat pushes you forward on the tank. Lower would be better but not a deal killer.

Thanks
The touring seat does lean downward to the tank some , but you won’t slide into the tank like the stock seat , it has a different material. I rode mine over 600 miles this weekend and my butt had no problems, I am now thinking I won’t have a RDL built, I can live with the touring seat!

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 01:59:37 am »
If you want lower I use a Corbin, about an inch lower, if you order one ask for softer foam, they have a lifetime warranty, if your not happy they will try to accommodate.   

Mine is hard but is fine except for long rides, over two hours, but if you wear safety over pants as I do on long

rides no problem, if you're going on long rides wear the protective over pants no matter what seat you use.   
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 02:12:22 pm »
I have a touring seat and like it much much better than the stock i had on my 08.  But I like the stock one better on my 16. One good thing is if you try it and dont like it youll be able to sell it .
2016 C-14

Offline dcstrng

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12985
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 10:27:58 am »
Caution; thread drift...

1) Touring seat on the 2008-2009 model?  The Kawasaki site doesn’t list it as a fit ??? Has anyone tried?

2) How are the Touring seats for more corpulent (270#) riders – my stock seat is good for about 30-45 minutes, then the foam compresses and I can feel dang near every bolt and bracket down to the pavement – plan to get another BMS saddle over the winter, but am trying to find something that will allow me to run out a couple tanks of gas in a modicum of comfort until then…
-- Larry
Worry -- Misuse of imagination...

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 12:03:13 pm »
I used the touring seat on my 08 so yes it will fit.
2016 C-14

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 12:45:34 pm »
Caution; thread drift...

1) Touring seat on the 2008-2009 model?  The Kawasaki site doesn’t list it as a fit ??? Has anyone tried?

2) How are the Touring seats for more corpulent (270#) riders – my stock seat is good for about 30-45 minutes, then the foam compresses and I can feel dang near every bolt and bracket down to the pavement – plan to get another BMS saddle over the winter, but am trying to find something that will allow me to run out a couple tanks of gas in a modicum of comfort until then…

Did you happen to notice my post above?
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline dcstrng

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 01:55:55 pm »

Did you happen to notice my post above?

That's what got me to thinking -- just couldn't tell whether this was one bike or perhaps an earlier one as well (two bikes...?), so I looked on the Kawa site which didn't list it as compatible with my 2009...  probably clear as can be, but I guess I didn't get it... no matter, I plan to have Rocky build me one in a few months anyway...
-- Larry

Offline Shizzle

• Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 05:58:33 pm »
You can buy the Kawi Touring seat from Partzilla for right at $450. That is the cheapest option out there. I sent Baldwin seats an e-mail and have never heard back so I guess they don't want my business. I live 30 minutes from there. Maybe there out of business, who knows.

Offline dcstrng

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 10:39:08 am »
You can buy the Kawi Touring seat from Partzilla...

Thanks, I'll look over there...

As for Baldwin, I think several smaller venders have been struggling -- tried t get ahold of MC Enterprises, but haven't gotten response (Canyon Cages...)
-- Larry

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Scooter
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • COG#: 12916
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 11:03:48 am »
Use the search, there are many helpful posts with pics for comparison. I tried them all and settled on the Kawasaki Touring seat. I love the looks and lower height of Corbin although I can't ride it around the block. The Touring seat is an affordable option that took me from 45 minutes to all day comfort. The angle is the same but as others mentioned no sliding forward. I find this bike not ergonomically comfortable/perfect, but this is the best option for me. 6' 250lbs. I'd try this before dumping cash into an expensive build, these sell fast if you don't like it. Custom build are harder to sell and you'll lose money for certain.

Offline dcstrng

• Bicycle
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 01:13:01 pm »
The Touring seat is an affordable option ... I'd try this before dumping cash into an expensive build, these sell fast if you don't like it. Custom build are harder to sell and you'll lose money for certain.

Thanks -- I ordered it (and free shipping, yeah !!)
-- Larry

Offline Shizzle

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 07:04:21 pm »
The Touring seat is an affordable option ... I'd try this before dumping cash into an expensive build, these sell fast if you don't like it. Custom build are harder to sell and you'll lose money for certain.

Thanks -- I ordered it (and free shipping, yeah !!)

Did you order from Partszilla?

Offline dcstrng

• Bicycle
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 09:20:58 am »

Yep, and just got a note from them that said it has shipped...  gotta luv the internet !!
-- Larry

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 04:06:17 pm »
Quick and easy
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Shizzle

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2019, 06:04:39 pm »

Yep, and just got a note from them that said it has shipped...  gotta luv the internet !!

Let me know what you think about it please.

Thanks

Offline dcstrng

• Bicycle
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 06:51:29 pm »

Let me know what you think about it please...

ZG1400 Touring seat -- Impression;  Context 270# rider, first 245 miles (nonstop except for gas) -- about 31" inseam.  Is it notably more comfortable than the stock 2009 seat; for this rider -- Yes.  Where the stock seat was downright awful (had to stop) for me at about 50-55 miles, the Touring seat was close to 100 miles -- and then it was less about pain, than just creeping numbness -- still felt like I was sitting on my tailbone, but doubt the seat was designed for my egregious level of corpulency ... Ride height -- can't tell much difference -- maybe a smidgeon, but can still flatfoot at traffic lights, so whatever change with this weight rider (compressing the foam) is minimal.  Does it slant towards the tank -- seems to, but I didn't find the slant of the stock seat objectionable anyway, so I wasn't concentrating on that.  For me the question is, can I do 1000+ day rides on it -- seriously doubt it... A lighter rider, or one who puts more sport than touring into their route/style (carries some weight on the feet from time to time, rather than sitting there like a lump of gelatin jelly as I often do...) is likely to be quite content -- especially if their idea of a day's ride is different than mine. 

I'm going to try it on my around the Bay route, where I used to sorta prove out my older long-pavement machines -- if that works, then perhaps a trip to Ohio to see my kids... but if that mileage is too much for my geriatric bones on that seat, then I'll do a custom saddle before spring riding season -- but the Touring seat was a noticeable improvement for me (for me it is about the same level of comfort as the stock 1999 on my C10 -- the `99 C10 seat was a surprisingly comfortable seat for local puttering ...). 

The Partzilla experience... From the afternoon I ordered it, the Touring seat was on my doorstep within 72 hours (and they paid the postage...).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:02:46 pm by dcstrng »
-- Larry

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2019, 08:12:15 pm »
For your weight I think the RDl would be a good seat. The problem is they are higher than stock as well as wider at the tank so it is harder to get feet on the ground. You should give Seth Laam a call. He will use you stock pan and build whatever you want. I got one from him and it's an inch lower than stock. No forward slide. I di use a sheepskin butt pad because I am 145 lbs. soaking wet. My tailbones have no padding. The combo lets me ride as far as the gas tank and/or bladder will go.

Offline dcstrng

• Bicycle
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 02:01:17 pm »
For your weight I think the RDl would be a good seat...

Yep, am pretty familiar with Russell -- Rocky (Bill) Mayer (Owner of BMS, and the son of Bill Mayer Sr. who sold the design to Russell for what they now build) has built my last two saddles -- have about 180K miles on them combined, and am a wholehearted advocate of the RDL/BMS product... not everyone requires a true saddle, but well worth the price for those of us who feel the need -- either because of anatomy or expected type of riding, or both... I'll probably ride this Touring seat locally through the cooler months and piddle with the rest of the ergos meanwhile, and get BMS to build me one of theirs before spring... I've long contended that a properly setup bike should stay comfortable for as long as I can keep my eyes open...
-- Larry