Author Topic: TPMS  (Read 673 times)

Offline Mxboost

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
TPMS
« on: January 06, 2019, 01:24:54 am »
I have an 09 Connie, and today on my ride, I got a reading on my front, but dashes on my rear, with no low battery warning for the rear.  What does this mean?
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14
2014 Candy Cascade Blue Ninja 1000
1987 ZL 1000
2006 Vulcan 500

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: TPMS
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 05:42:54 am »
The dashes means you battery is dead. My front died quickly after it flashed low battery. The rear is still barely hanging on It shows low battery on the dash but after the tire gets warmed up it will read. I have the old style sensor. The stem is completely round where as the new style has a couple of flats in the stem for a wrench. The old style batteries can be changed by a frugal minded Cogger. Or like me I'm going to mark which is front and which is rear and send them off to Fred Harmon. Fred has the maintenance video's which he sells. 

On nice thing about having Fred change the batteries is he can test them for function before sending them back. The new style sensor battery's are potted and so far no one has figured out to change the batteries on those. The only way to get those working are buying new ones with a trip to the dealer to get the bike to recognize them. Another option is not do anything and have blanks.

Changing the batteries on the old style was figured out by an enterprising COG member. Asking the dealer to change the batteries will get you laughed out of the place. There are a couple of guys here on the forum who can also change the old style battery and I'm sure they will chime in. Good luck, Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Mxboost

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 03:01:28 pm »
My front has been flashing low battery for over a year now, and is still going.  The rear, I changed the battery out myself by modding it to hold a battery I can change myself.  I did that a year ago and never had any problems until now.  It never even flashed low battery for the rear.  I wonder if my battery or holder let go.
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14
2014 Candy Cascade Blue Ninja 1000
1987 ZL 1000
2006 Vulcan 500

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 03:34:48 pm »
If anyone has a dead-battery new-generation TPMS they want to donate to the cause, I'd like to take a crack at making it so that you can repalce the battery.  I got tools to dig out the battery. Otherwise, I'm still waiting for one of mine to fail before I take a stab at it.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 05:27:48 pm »
If anyone has a dead-battery new-generation TPMS they want to donate to the cause, I'd like to take a crack at making it so that you can repalce the battery.  I got tools to dig out the battery. Otherwise, I'm still waiting for one of mine to fail before I take a stab at it.

I'll accommodate that donation when mine crap-out
I'm not going to replace them when they do ($320 for the pair plus service  time to have them read into the ECU)
I'll replace them with 90deg valve stems and buy a nice bottle of scotch

"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
Gen James Mattis

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 05:44:48 pm »
 :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

I'm gonna do the same with a 90 degree stem if the mod fails.

But, failure is not an option.  >:D
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 07:02:23 pm »
Do I understand correctly that once they go completely dead (dashes), the red warning light also goes away? Or do you have to do the 2 button shuffle to get it to allow cycling through the other info?
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 08:24:46 pm »
^That is my understanding

I read about this previously, on this forum
"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
Gen James Mattis

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 08:50:40 pm »
I can confirm that when the batteries are dead you don't get a red warning light.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Road Runner

• Road Bike
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 11:05:11 pm »
:PDT_Armataz_01_37:

I'm gonna do the same with a 90 degree stem if the mod fails.

But, failure is not an option.  >:D

Same here for me as well, just waiting for them to die their slow death ...
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Online Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Moped
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • COG#: 12916
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 10:21:03 am »
Good read, I'm learning about this bike as I go. Same symptoms here first day home from the dealer just dashes and low battery warning indication. Went for a ride and several miles into it the dashes disappear and tire pressure is displayed.

Thanks for all that contributed information to this post, learning more everyday.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:24:52 am by Tundra »

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 01:59:56 pm »
Good read, I'm learning about this bike as I go. Same symptoms here first day home from the dealer just dashes and low battery warning indication. Went for a ride and several miles into it the dashes disappear and tire pressure is displayed.

Thanks for all that contributed information to this post, learning more everyday.
This is an indicator that the battery is very weak . It warms up and works for now but rest assured its on its way out.
 I have the same thing on my front . Just waiting to change the tire and do the battery swap.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."