Author Topic: First Valve Adjustment  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Buzzard

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: First Valve Adjustment
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2018, 02:16:07 pm »
When I pulled my plugs at 46K, they looked every bit as good as the new ones going in. I think they are resistor plugs. There may be internal changes to the plug that go unseen. I'm not sure, but my bike has it's old smoothness and spunk back. When you ride the bike daily, you don't notice the gradual degradation of performance.  The owners manual specifies changing the plugs every 7,500 miles. 46K kind of dwarfs that.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2018, 02:45:29 pm »
I think we all agree that the plugs being changed at 7,500 miles is not necessary.  I do think that the valve check at 15,000 miles is valid based on my findings.  I think a longer interval for inspection after that first check and adjustment is ok, so not every 15K as the manual calls for.

We should list out what else we don't agree with in the periodic maintenance chart.  My take......

-Engine Vacuum Synchronization Inspection every 7,500 miles, no way. 
-Tire pressure inspect every year or 7,500 miles, no way. (you do that most every ride)
-Steering stem Bearings lubrication every 2 years or 24,000 miles, no way
-Fuel hose replacement every 4 years, ??  The filter change makes a lot more sense.
-Brake and clutch hose replacement every 4 years, ??

Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 07:12:28 pm »
-Engine Vacuum Synchronization Inspection every 7,500 miles, no way. 
-Tire pressure inspect every year or 7,500 miles, no way. (you do that most every ride)
-Steering stem Bearings lubrication every 2 years or 24,000 miles, no way
-Fuel hose replacement every 4 years, ??  The filter change makes a lot more sense.
-Brake and clutch hose replacement every 4 years, ??
I absolutely believe in the valve clearance check (and likely adjustment) at 15k.
The spark plugs and throttle body sync makes sense to do along with the valve clearance check, since the labor is 98% the same.

I replaced my brake and clutch hoses with Galfer SS lines, this year...  My bike is 9 years old.  I noticed a much improved pedal feel, so I do believe that changing the lines can be worthwhile...  Although I think 4 years is excessively conservative.

Another think I skipped is the coolant hoses...  I checked them all, and I replace my coolant every 2 years...  But I haven't bothered replacing any of the hoses, as they have remained in good condition.

Offline Buzzard

• Mini Bike
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 09:00:50 pm »
Yep, 7500 miles is a spec written by someone with stock in NGK. Maybe 20-25K, but certainly at each valve inspect.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 10:28:12 pm »
Speaking of stock. For many years, perhaps since the C-14 inception, countless riders have said the factory provided Bridgestone tires are unsafe, don’t corner well, don’t last long, cup, upset the handling, and are generally intolerable. Get rid of them ASAP and the bike will perform so much better.  Factory tires are usually not the best option, but given all of this, it makes me wonder what type of deal Kawasaki and Bridgestone executives cut on the 19th hole of a golf course to continue with the same tires.  :-[  :truce:
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2018, 11:05:00 pm »
Speaking of stock. For many years, perhaps since the C-14 inception, countless riders have said the factory provided Bridgestone tires are unsafe, don’t corner well, don’t last long, cup, upset the handling, and are generally intolerable. Get rid of them ASAP and the bike will perform so much better.  Factory tires are usually not the best option, but given all of this, it makes me wonder what type of deal Kawasaki and Bridgestone executives cut on the 19th hole of a golf course to continue with the same tires.  :-[  :truce:
:)) :)) :)) 'Stone VP to Kawi VP  "you keep buying those crappy tires for the 14 and I'll cut you a great deal on some race team tires and I'll throw in a couple of paid trips to Vegas". Kawi VP "Ichi Ban!".  ;)
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.