Author Topic: TPMS batteries dead... replace or leave as it is ?  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Rexter

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: TPMS batteries dead... replace or leave as it is ?
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2019, 05:00:47 am »
Aloha Rexter, Thanks so much for the close up pictures of the install and tabbed battery part# I was able to Amazon a 6 pack to Hawaii for $15 and change!! I've got a 2011 and the local dealer here wanted almost $300 per sensor.

Good deal. That was the first one I did, and kinda ugly. The five others I did on Saturday were a lot easier. I heated the tabs where the factory battery was soldered and the battery came right off. Then I just snapped the new battery into the case, folded the tabs over on the legs coming off the circuit board, and soldered them. All had voltage at the circuit board, so we didn’t bother with the string test. All started reading within 200 yards of the house.

Offline rogracer

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11346
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 01:33:33 pm »
Wow 600 bucks for the set from the dealer...or a few bucks for a DIY. You could buy a tire changing machine and still come out ahead.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 08:04:39 pm »
You do not need to remove the tire from the wheel, or even the wheel from the bike to change out a TPS sensor- it is easy to do with two wood clamps and a few blocks of wood. Shown here, with photos, about 1/2 way down the first page:

http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/on-the-bike-tps-sensor-change/

Brian

Wow 600 bucks for the set from the dealer...or a few bucks for a DIY. You could buy a tire changing machine and still come out ahead.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline rogracer

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11346
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 01:13:58 am »
Yeah that may be. But then, you know, you don't get a free tire changing machine.

Offline Rexter

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 02:34:37 am »
Yeah that may be. But then, you know, you don't get a free tire changing machine.

And check the brakes, and lube the splines, and clean under the tail, and clean the wheels, and just admire the bike.

Offline IBAJIM

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12891
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2019, 12:00:55 pm »
SNIP .............       The string test took about 2 seconds to get a 0 psi reading.

So, someone please tell me more about the string test.  What is that ?

And as far as putting that tire back together, I'd use "Goop" that you can repair shoe soles with - that should work great !!
IBA # 35372  BBG (5-2014)
Great Lakes 100  (2011) 
All Other GRT LKS Rides x2  (2012-2018)
BB1500's x3
Other SS1K's x8  (2009-2017)

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2019, 12:48:11 pm »
I saw a post from fred harmon on face book he said he can do the old or new styles. turn around time usually one day.
 I didn't know anyone had figured out how to do the new style ones. So this is good to know .
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."