Author Topic: tpms battery questions  (Read 981 times)

Offline Berk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
tpms battery questions
« on: May 02, 2018, 05:13:13 pm »
A couple years ago, about 2 weeks after getting my current tires, the tpms sensors started giving the low battery warning.  They have deteriorated to the point where the front one doesn’t work and the rear works about half the time. I was planning to replace the batteries at the next tire change, probably coming up in the next couple months.

Yesterday, the low tire pressure warning came on and my back tire was showing 29 lbs and kept going lower. Pulled over at a gas station and inspected the tire to find a nice brass Phillips head screw right in the middle of the tread. We were a couple hours from home but I was able to limp it to a great little shop in Anacortes WA called Westedge Cycle.  I was debating just buying a new tire, but it bothered me to think that I wouldn’t be able to replace the tpms battery. Especially since the tpms had just saved my a**. At any rate, they were able to remove the tire, patch it and remount it while we went for lunch.

I want to make sure I have the batteries on hand so I went to the digikey website linked in another thread, https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-bsg/CR-2032L-F1N/P668-ND/2415266 but it says “due to restrictions this part is un available”.  Does anyone have another source for batteries with the leads on them? Someone also mentioned wire glue, does that work?  Can I just buy regular batteries and glue leads on?

I won’t have any problem soldering the leads or taking the sensor apart, but I don’t install my own tires. Logistically, how do you guys do the battery swap while the tires are being replaced at a shop?

Thanks for any advice.

PS. if anyone in the North West Area, (I’m in Abbotsford BC) has their own tire changer, I’d be happy to meet a fellow COGer and pay you (a reasonable fee) to install tires and allow me to install new tpms batteries at the same time.

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: tpms battery questions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 05:59:25 pm »
Ah Berk, alas I am pretty far away with my tire machine/tools. Wish I could help.

When I was a kid my dad and I would fly up there very year for the Abbotsford Air Show, he did stunts in a Citabria. Good times.. eh.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 06:05:43 pm »
Yes, the sensors can be removed and replaced without removing the tires from the wheels, and without removing the wheels from the bike. Using two wood clamps, one tire iron and some small blocks of wood, one bead is broken and pushed toward the center of the wheel all the way around, staying away from the sensor itself. Then both clamps are used just beyond the edges of the sensor to push the sidewall over, while using the tire iron to 'tease' the tire bead over the sensor. Then the sensor can be easily removed. Just got done doing around a dozen of these last Sat. at a tech. day.

As to which batteries, I use double- tabbed batteries, stock, from any electronic component supply house. One tab can be soldered directly to the sensor leg while the other tab has to have a short piece of wire used from the tab to the sensor lead. Very easy and robust.

Not sure if I ever documented the procedure on this site or not; it is on another site but I do not believe I can post a link. And I believe the process was captured on video this year so it <might> be available as a video- not sure but I can check with the person who was taking the video.

Brian

A couple years ago, about 2 weeks after getting my current tires, the tpms sensors started giving the low battery warning.  They have deteriorated to the point where the front one doesn’t work and the rear works about half the time. I was planning to replace the batteries at the next tire change, probably coming up in the next couple months.

Yesterday, the low tire pressure warning came on and my back tire was showing 29 lbs and kept going lower. Pulled over at a gas station and inspected the tire to find a nice brass Phillips head screw right in the middle of the tread. We were a couple hours from home but I was able to limp it to a great little shop in Anacortes WA called Westedge Cycle.  I was debating just buying a new tire, but it bothered me to think that I wouldn’t be able to replace the tpms battery. Especially since the tpms had just saved my a**. At any rate, they were able to remove the tire, patch it and remount it while we went for lunch.

I want to make sure I have the batteries on hand so I went to the digikey website linked in another thread, https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-bsg/CR-2032L-F1N/P668-ND/2415266 but it says “due to restrictions this part is un available”.  Does anyone have another source for batteries with the leads on them? Someone also mentioned wire glue, does that work?  Can I just buy regular batteries and glue leads on?

I won’t have any problem soldering the leads or taking the sensor apart, but I don’t install my own tires. Logistically, how do you guys do the battery swap while the tires are being replaced at a shop?

Thanks for any advice.

PS. if anyone in the North West Area, (I’m in Abbotsford BC) has their own tire changer, I’d be happy to meet a fellow COGer and pay you (a reasonable fee) to install tires and allow me to install new tpms batteries at the same time.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:24:59 pm »
You need to read the warning carefully.  These ARE available, just not available for AIR shipment!

SHIPPING NOTICE: This product contains Lithium. Air shipments of this product are unavailable at this time.

But yes, these are the correct batteries to use.  You just need to specify GROUND shipping.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 10:08:54 pm »
Yes, the sensors can be removed and replaced without removing the tires from the wheels, and without removing the wheels from the bike. Using two wood clamps, one tire iron and some small blocks of wood, one bead is broken and pushed toward the center of the wheel all the way around, staying away from the sensor itself. Then both clamps are used just beyond the edges of the sensor to push the sidewall over, while using the tire iron to 'tease' the tire bead over the sensor. Then the sensor can be easily removed. Just got done doing around a dozen of these last Sat. at a tech. day.

As to which batteries, I use double- tabbed batteries, stock, from any electronic component supply house. One tab can be soldered directly to the sensor leg while the other tab has to have a short piece of wire used from the tab to the sensor lead. Very easy and robust.

Not sure if I ever documented the procedure on this site or not; it is on another site but I do not believe I can post a link. And I believe the process was captured on video this year so it <might> be available as a video- not sure but I can check with the person who was taking the video.

Brian

Thanks for any advice.

I followed Brian’s instructions for removing the TPMS while breaking the bead without removing the rear wheel. It worked as advertised.  :great:
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 10:11:06 pm »
You need to read the warning carefully.  These ARE available, just not available for AIR shipment!

SHIPPING NOTICE: This product contains Lithium. Air shipments of this product are unavailable at this time.

But yes, these are the correct batteries to use.  You just need to specify GROUND shipping.

Yep, and in the specs it says:
Shipping Info   ......Due to restrictions, only ground shipment is allowed.

Even then, it also says in stock, and can ship immediatly... which when you get to checkout, will explain again, add the ground shipping charge, and complete the sale... :great:

Buy them, and they will come.... :rotflmao: :great: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Berk

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 10:29:53 pm »
ZXtasy - Thanks anyways eh!  Yes the airshow was always a great time.

BDF and 4Bikes - Yes I saw that method in the search but I thought I would wait until getting new tires because it is coming soon and I don't have the clamps or tire bars.

JWH20 and MOB - Did you try that on the site today? I might be missing something, or doing something wrong (it wouldn't be the first time) but it doesn't give me any option to choose ground shipping.  It tells me they are unavailable and won't add them to the cart. 

Thanks everyone for your replies

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 10:39:14 pm »
Yep, just now for the second time, and went all the way thru checkout to the point asking me for my ship and billing info...

Worse case, simply call them.....
At the bottom of the page you will fin this...

United States

sales@digikey.com
Toll Free: 1-800-344-4539
Phone: 218-681-6674
Fax: 218-681-3380

live-chatLive Chat

We have been buying these since the first time someone replaced one, prolly 7? Years now?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:46:44 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 11:00:06 pm »
Yes, I also tried it and had no issues.  DigiKey are good folks, I've dealt with them for at least 30 years.  If the site is not working for you, call them and place the order the old-fashioned way.

Offline Berk

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 01:11:50 am »
Okay,  Thanks again guys.  I tried again and still no luck.  I think maybe it can tell I'm in Canada from my IP address. Maybe they won't ship batteries across the border.  I only live 5 minutes from the border though and get it shipped to a mailbox over there, and go pick it up.  I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can order that way.

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 02:48:59 am »
I had the batteries with tabs made up in Burnaby at Polar Battery on Boundary Rd. if you are near there. I took the bike to 2nd Gear in Coquitlam, they took the tires off, I took the sensors out, soldered in the batteries and went back to the shop where they put on my nice new tires! You may be able to do this closer to home. I did take the wheels off myself which saves some coin.

Offline Berk

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 03:55:49 am »
Okay,  Thanks again guys.  I tried again and still no luck.  Maybe their website can tell I'm in Canada from my IP address and they don't ship batteries across the border.  I only live 5 minutes from the border though and I usually get stuff sent to a mailbox over there, and go pick it up.  I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can order by phone.

Offline Berk

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 03:57:13 am »
Sorry for the double post!

Offline Berk

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 04:00:04 am »
Thanks for the local advice Gsun,

If I can't get the Digikey website to work I'll try them next.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 06:07:48 pm »
Okay,  Thanks again guys.  I tried again and still no luck.  Maybe their website can tell I'm in Canada from my IP address and they don't ship batteries across the border.  I only live 5 minutes from the border though and I usually get stuff sent to a mailbox over there, and go pick it up.  I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can order by phone.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you don't simply make a telphone call to them, at the number I provided.... :truce:

As for shipping.... they ship WORLDWIDE.....
https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/international

::) ::)

Best of luck.

Offline Berk

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 10:33:24 pm »

I'm having a hard time understanding why you don't simply make a telphone call to them, at the number I provided.... :truce:

As for shipping.... they ship WORLDWIDE.....
https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/international

::) ::)

Best of luck.

Thanks Man of Blues - That's why I said I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can order by phone.  I didn't think they would be open at midnight PST.  :beerchug:

Anyways, it looks like I just needed to register before placing an order because once my registration was approved I got the same warning about not allowing air shipments instead of the message saying the part was restricted.  International shipping is more than double the cost of just shipping within the lower 48 states and since I only live 5 minutes from the border it's way faster for me to use a US mailbox and not worry about duties or clearing customs. Did I mention it's way cheaper too?

Since I have to pay $9 for shipping 2 batteries at $1.14 each. Do you think I should add a couple spares just in case I screw something up? The shipping charge is the same whether I order 2 or 200.  So, if anyone around here wants me to add a couple for them I can easily do that.

Berk

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 10:58:32 pm »
Id order 5, to insure coverage in case you hose one up...
As for ordering them in major(100) quantity... seems cost prohibitive, as reciprocity in shipping later is still an issue...
And USPS is still funny about shipping them back and forth here also..
Why they freak out over a couple small units being shipped is overkill, as the regulation on them is all transpired from a major manufacturer, shipping thousands in a single parcel, that during shipping "fried an airliner", and it wasn't a passenger plane, just a shipping plane...

End result is the restriction we all bear, for poorly packed, and handled product, which was by all means safe, just handled incorrectly/roughly/packed incorrectly to prevent a mishap.

Best of luck, I'm sure all will be well..
I have to say, I don't know "how" a couple cellphone and  a couple laptop batteries I've bought in the last couple years "made it thru", but all were air shipped, and received cross country, to me, without a hitch...   I know those ebay people lied about what they sent, when doing the mail..
 ;)

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 11:18:45 pm »
The shelf-life of these lithium batteries, which BTW can burn under the right conditions, is in excess of 10 years.  So buying a few extras is not a bad idea.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 10:31:41 pm »
Extras are a simple and affordable reasoning, for the "just in case" scenario, for certain...
As for shelf life, and as someone who worked in this industry, they "should" be good for at least 5-8 years, but as the small cells are not truely "sealed" like a "can", and rely upon a crimped seal, and a teflon washer for sealing, some degradation and outgassing does occurr over time... as for flammability, I'll say "yah, they can ignite, and burn", but you reallllly have to abuse one to make it do that... they just don't "blow up" without reason, it takes a dead short between the +&- or freezing them cold enough to pop the seal, or heating them in a similar scenario, while they are stored in a non protected manner...
Simply put, they are safe, unless you throw a bunch of them together will nilly, and add temperature extremes, and also provide a means for them to short out.

For the money, I would buy them 6 at a time, and share the unused ones downstream.

Offline MikeSD14

• Training Wheels
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 10:53:48 pm »
Thanks guys for the links and info. Just ordered 6 today. $15 shipped. Just gave them a call, setup an account over phone made a card payment, and they already shipped out. Mine have been acting up when it’s in the 50s temp wise. Will be getting some new tread later this year so will just install at that time.
Current bikes:
03 Aprilia Tuono & 13 Tuono V4
04 YZ450F (sold)
10 Sachs Madass
11 Silver C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 11:08:13 pm »
Thanks guys for the links and info. Just ordered 6 today. $15 shipped. Just gave them a call, setup an account over phone made a card payment, and they already shipped out. Mine have been acting up when it’s in the 50s temp wise. Will be getting some new tread later this year so will just install at that time.

Cool

Still curious of the outcome for Burk, and what transpired if and when he called them..

I personally do all my online purchases like this, by calling the vendor, as I don't like having to send charge card stuff over the net, and to also get a warm fuzzy about my purchase, without sitting and wondering if my order went thru, or if it encountered any issues..

Best of luck on your battery job.  :great:

Offline MikeSD14

• Training Wheels
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 11:18:04 pm »
Are there any detailed installs on the batteries? Have not looked for threads yet so just being lazy at present but will defiantly be doing some research. The main thing I would assume is don’t get the battery hot when soldering. Like I said got some tread  still left so not a priority as of yet.

Also I like to call and order most everything as well! Just seems safer, gals name was
Lisa very thorough with the ordering process. Funny part was they are next door to me. Minn.
Current bikes:
04 YZ450F (sold)
10 Sachs Madass
11 Silver C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 11:28:41 pm »
Are there any detailed installs on the batteries? Have not looked for threads yet so just being lazy at present but will defiantly be doing some research. The main thing I would assume is don’t get the battery hot when soldering. Like I said got some tread  still left so not a priority as of yet.

Also I like to call and order most everything as well! Just seems safer, gals name was
Lisa very thorough with the ordering process. Funny part was they are next door to me. Minn.

There's a couple threads here, and on the "other" Concours web forum about the job..
If you bought the batts that have the tabs, your good to go, just clip an alligator clip to the metal tab to act as a heatsink, ond sklder the tab to the exiting lead with an alligator clip attached to it also... biggest thing is, document which lead is +/- before disconnecting the old batt, and make sure you follow the polarity on the new install...  marke everything, gake cellphone pics,

Offline MikeSD14

• Training Wheels
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 01:28:24 am »
Thanks for the tips! Mine is a 2011 so not sure if 7yrs is a good run for the Oem batteries or not but when I ride it on cold days has been the deciding factor to replace them. Stupid warning! A simple disable temporary button would have been nice.

Appreciate the help!
Current bikes:
04 YZ450F (sold)
10 Sachs Madass
11 Silver C14

Offline Freddy

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 03:18:47 am »
A simple disable temporary button would have been nice.

Appreciate the help!

Check the owner's manual for that.
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?